In other news, the new season promo with Liev Schreiber is goddamn brilliant.

That's how you get people ready.

This guy did a pretty nice pump up video too

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Saw this on Sportsnet today, from the Leafs and Canadiens rookie game last night:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...=5130112810001

Bibeau wrecks Bitten for getting inside his crease and interfering by putting him on his ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Herpaderpadoo

I must have already been drunk when I was listening to the game last night because I swear they kept saying Halak.
    Drunken hockey fan posting. I will allow!

Johnny Hockey's goal last night was holy shit; the guy has no negotiation power (can't be RFA'd) from what I have heard and I still can't see him settling for under 7mil. Can't believe McDavid has no goals after having looked so good. Finland looked awful last night other than their top line of Filpulla, Komarov, and Jokinen. Matthews has been meeting expectations for all the hype so far IMO.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    McDavid speed is unreal, I love team NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Johnny Hockey's goal last night was holy shit; the guy has no negotiation power (can't be RFA'd) from what I have heard and I still can't see him settling for under 7mil.
    I would be happy at 7M for 6 years for Johnny, though I'd rather see him at around 6.7M over 5. His agent however is batshit insane. 8.5M AAV for an RFA is fuckin' ridiculous. For that money he had better be able to score on the road, which he hasn't been able to do much in his short career.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well that sucked. Preseason hockey next week!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    holy shit that sweden NA game. Raise your Gaudreaus

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I would be happy at 7M for 6 years for Johnny, though I'd rather see him at around 6.7M over 5. His agent however is batshit insane. 8.5M AAV for an RFA is fuckin' ridiculous. For that money he had better be able to score on the road, which he hasn't been able to do much in his short career.
    I think the 8.5 AAV was supposed to eat into several of his UFA years as well wasn't it? For 3-5 years that's an insane asking price, but with what he'll get on the market if he stays healthy and only signs for 3 years it's going to take a lot more. I don't think it would be an awful 8 year contract deal especially if the salary cap goes up a chunk by then and other big contracts are signed with players putting up similar point totals, I imagine he'll want an even higher payout. I feel like it will turn out to be $7mil by 6 or 7 years at the moment.

I think the 8.5 AAV was supposed to eat into several of his UFA years as well wasn't it? For 3-5 years that's an insane asking price, but with what he'll get on the market if he stays healthy and only signs for 3 years it's going to take a lot more. I don't think it would be an awful 8 year contract deal especially if the salary cap goes up a chunk by then and other big contracts are signed with players putting up similar point totals, I imagine he'll want an even higher payout. I feel like it will turn out to be $7mil by 6 or 7 years at the moment.
    The rumour is that Johnny doesn't want too long of a term, so he has an opportunity to go back to the east coast. To play for Philly/NJ or something along those lines, to play closer to his family as he gets older. So I'm figuring his deal would be shorter than what Monahan got, which was 7 years. Which also makes the 8.5M AAV his agents are asking for even more insane. RFA's do not get 8.5M unless we're talking a max length deal and even then, 8.5 is absolutely insane. That's a Malkin level contract for a not Malkin player lol.

At best Johnny's contract should be in the ballpark of Tarasenko's. On paper they're very similar. He got $7.5AAV for 8 years. If Johnny stayed for 8 years, I'd be perfectly happy with 7.5-7.7AAV for 8. But once he and his agent start chopping years off the end of that, the AAV has gotta go down. In my mind, $500K AAV taken off for every year shaved off the deal.

Even if the cap goes up, the Flames have a ton of signings coming up next year too. Bennett for the major example, plus signing a goaltender long term as both Elliott and Johnson only have 1 year each left on their deals. So whether they stay or we have to go get someone else at free agent time next summer. Hopefully we can shed Wideman's contract in that time. Then all of the other RFA's coming up in 2017 like Ferland, Fey, Chiasson, Jokipakka. AHL RFA's like Gillies, Kulak, Wotherspoon. Then UFA's like Bollig, Smid, Engelland...who I imagine might all get traded this year.

I imagine they'll all come to terms eventually, since he's only played in 2 full pro seasons, Johnny's got no arbitration rights which makes this really convoluted. But his choices are to sign with Calgary, or languish for a year...or god forbid go to the KHL for a year lol. This is if the Flames don't just cut ties with him and trade his rights off for some other star. Lewis Gross is not doing Johnny any favours right now though.

The rumour is that Johnny doesn't want too long of a term, so he has an opportunity to go back to the east coast. To play for Philly/NJ or something along those lines, to play closer to his family as he gets older. So I'm figuring his deal would be shorter than what Monahan got, which was 7 years. Which also makes the 8.5M AAV his agents are asking for even more insane. RFA's do not get 8.5M unless we're talking a max length deal and even then, 8.5 is absolutely insane. That's a Malkin level contract for a not Malkin player lol.

At best Johnny's contract should be in the ballpark of Tarasenko's. On paper they're very similar. He got $7.5AAV for 8 years. If Johnny stayed for 8 years, I'd be perfectly happy with 7.5-7.7AAV for 8. But once he and his agent start chopping years off the end of that, the AAV has gotta go down. In my mind, $500K AAV taken off for every year shaved off the deal.

Even if the cap goes up, the Flames have a ton of signings coming up next year too. Bennett for the major example, plus signing a goaltender long term as both Elliott and Johnson only have 1 year each left on their deals. So whether they stay or we have to go get someone else at free agent time next summer. Hopefully we can shed Wideman's contract in that time. Then all of the other RFA's coming up in 2017 like Ferland, Fey, Chiasson, Jokipakka. AHL RFA's like Gillies, Kulak, Wotherspoon. Then UFA's like Bollig, Smid, Engelland...who I imagine might all get traded this year.

I imagine they'll all come to terms eventually, since he's only played in 2 full pro seasons, Johnny's got no arbitration rights which makes this really convoluted. But his choices are to sign with Calgary, or languish for a year...or god forbid go to the KHL for a year lol. This is if the Flames don't just cut ties with him and trade his rights off for some other star. Lewis Gross is not doing Johnny any favours right now though.
    KHL I don't see, but yeah I agree with most of what you said. Crazy to even offer more than 6mil just for his RFA years when he can't be paid by anyone else. Burke might not be the best person to have in the office if he has much of a say here though. He overpaid some guys in Toronto for talent that really wasn't worth 4-5mil+ IMO.

KHL I don't see, but yeah I agree with most of what you said. Crazy to even offer more than 6mil just for his RFA years when he can't be paid by anyone else. Burke might not be the best person to have in the office if he has much of a say here though. He overpaid some guys in Toronto for talent that really wasn't worth 4-5mil+ IMO.
    If Treliving and Burke somehow go full retard and give the kid 8+AAV for any term, there'll be fuckin' riots in the street lol. Even with all of the good faith equity Trelly has built up with fans in the last year, we're so sick of shit GMs it would erase it all lol.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Disappointed in team Finland but they didn't have the defensive depth to contend imo.

Yeah I thought for sure they'd be putting up more of a fight in this tournament, they got fuckin smashed.

Russia....overcomes the goal deficit and gets the win to oust Team North America from the semis. Daaaamn.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I thought for sure they'd be putting up more of a fight in this tournament, they got fuckin smashed.

Russia....overcomes the goal deficit and gets the win to oust Team North America from the semis. Daaaamn.
    Which I don't get, because NA had 11 goals and Russia had 5 prior to that game. Was it goals against? Doesn't matter, Russia is going to get shot down again. They didn't even deserve it, Finland just isn't as deep of a team and it showed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Which I don't get, because NA had 11 goals and Russia had 5 prior to that game. Was it goals against? Doesn't matter, Russia is going to get shot down again. They didn't even deserve it, Finland just isn't as deep of a team and it showed.
    The goal diff was +3 in favor of Team NA, who also had the loss in hand to Russia.

All Russia had to do was beat Finland by 3 or more. Tie break went to Russia, for having beaten Team NA in the round robin.

They might not have even had to beat or tie the goal differential with the game in hand, not sure.

Either way, Russia had to lose for NA to advance.

Time for US v CZE for the Toilet Bowl now.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-09-23 at 12:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The goal diff was +3 in favor of Team NA, who also had the loss in hand to Russia.

All Russia had to do was beat Finland by 3 or more. Tie break went to Russia, for having beaten Team NA in the round robin.

They might not have even had to beat or tie the goal differential with the game in hand, not sure.

Either way, Russia had to lose for NA to advance.

Time for US v CZE for the Toilet Bowl now.
    Basically goal differential, same as the FIFA World Cup.

Also, I expect CZE to beat the US tonight. As a country, they always seem to show up and play no matter what. The US typically fades very hard when they aren't winning something.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Russia beat NA, pretty sure that was the tiebreaker? Either way, Gaudreau pls sign in the next few days!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Russia beat NA, pretty sure that was the tiebreaker? Either way, Gaudreau pls sign in the next few days!
    Hope he isn't planning to pull what Trouba is lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Hope he isn't planning to pull what Trouba is lol.
    I really hope we're trying to trade for him, already got Zaitsev and another top 4 RHD is our biggest need.