Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rochelle View Post
    What sources? I have only seen the first movie, I don't remember any such thing. It's reasonable to just assume that she's japanese. At the very least it is reasonable to assume that her body would be that of a japanese if she has a japanese cover name. Otherwise that fake name would be pretty useless wouldn't it?
    The orginal Manga the movie is based on for starters? (I will point out the Jane Excalibur thing is a critic reaction. Motoko is a very common japanese name, while Kusanagi is the name of a legendary sword made by a God from Japanese Mythology. Jane Excalibur is a rough english speaking equivalent.)
    Last edited by Time Sage; 2016-04-24 at 05:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Why would you ignore Stand Alone Complex where she states she doesn't remember her real name anymore?
    Because I haven't seen it. But really it doesn't matter. She's obviously supposed to be japanese. The only reason they take Scarlet Johansson is cause they fear the movie has better chances that way, and would be more likely to fail with some no-name japanese, or asian, actress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    The orginal Manga the movie is based on for starters?
    Haven't read those. If it was introduced early on, then I guess. But to me it's just not part of the story.

I think Scarlet Johansson would play a good Motoko Kusanagi.

I think the name is a perfectly fine indicator, considering there's nothing in the first movie saying that her name is fake.
    If we're basing things off the first movie then the entire "Motoko might not even be human" plot device would come in to play.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't read those. If it was introduced early on, then I guess. But to me it's just not part of the story.
    It's part of the story regardless if you have read it or not.

Deleted
    Why would you ignore Stand Alone Complex where she states she doesn't remember her real name anymore?
    I just looked up some stuff on the wiki page and it says that stand alone complex tells an alternate story of ghost in the shell, so I would say based on that alone we can dismiss anything said there.

I just looked up some stuff on the wiki page and it says that stand alone complex tells an alternate story of ghost in the shell, so I would say based on that alone we can dismiss anything said there.
    But isn't the live action movie based on Stand Alone Complex? It seems the Villain in this movie is the Laughing Man, which is from SAC.
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2016-04-24 at 05:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    If we're basing things off the first movie then the entire "Motoko might not even be human" plot device would come in to play.
    So what if she might not be human? That still means she's supposed to represent a japanese woman.

It's part of the story regardless if you have read it or not.
    True, I just can't even know right now whether that is actually true or not. Like I said, if it was introduced early on, then I accept it, but if it was introduced later in the series then I can't take it seriously.

Also like I said several times now, they picked Johannson simply because she's popular and draws money, not cause of any loophole you are trying to find.

- - - Updated - - -

But isn't the live action movie based on Stand Alone Complex?
    I have no idea. If it is, then it's absolutely valid I guess.

But just cause her name is fake and she doesn't remember it anymore, doesn't mean her real name isn't japanese, too. She most likely is supposed to be japanese. I mean why else would she give herself a japanese name?

Imagine the conversation.

"You know, Motoko isn't my real name."

"No shit, you're totally white."

10+ Year Old Account

By that logic you can ignore the movie you have seen because it's an alternate telling of the manga. GitS is one of those series that has been redone a half dozen times, but the basic charcters remain the same regardless of the plot.

Deleted
    By that logic you can ignore the movie you have seen because it's an alternate telling of the manga. GitS is one of those series that has been redone a half dozen times, but the basic charcters remain the same regardless of the plot.
    Well maybe, but nothing I have read here indicates she's not supposed to be japanese, so whatever.

Even worse, GitS Motoko is the only one that changes much from series to series. Then you have the problem of her merging with the puppet master, the only sentient that can copy itself without the self degrading, and there's no reason to believe that the original Kusanagi is still around or that there's only one of her.

Weebs crying over nonsense, what else is new?

10+ Year Old Account
    Even worse, GitS Motoko is the only one that changes much from series to series. Then you have the problem of her merging with the puppet master, the only sentient that can copy itself without the self degrading, and there's no reason to believe that the original Kusanagi is still around or that there's only one of her.
    That only happens to her in a couple settings. It doesn't in SAC.

Deleted
    Lol this western SJW whining "whitewashing"...IT IS AN AMERICAN MOVIE, SO IT HAS AN AMERICAN ACTOR, omg get over it.

Anyways, here's teaser trailer.

Review

Seeing Beat Takeshi as Aramaki continues to weird me out. I love the guy, but never really imagined him in that role. Also, IIRC he doesn't speak great English at all, so curious how they'll make the language portion of it work. If he'll be trying to do English linereads or if they'll just subtitle his Japanese while explaining away the language barrier in the movie because technology and autotranslation and shit.

Deleted
    Wait...why is this thread here, I did a search n assumed it would be in the "Cinema / TV Shows / Music / Books" forum...can someone move this thread?..

Search function is horrendous btw.

In most japanese anime. The japanese people don't even look japanese.
    So this whitewashing bs should stop
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    In most japanese anime. The japanese people don't even look japanese.
    So this whitewashing bs should stop
    while i don't think it's whitewashing(because that feels like it's implying something sinister), her character is specifically said to be japanese in universe.

it's not how she looks, it's a statement of fact.

she should definitely be played by a japanese woman, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    while i don't think it's whitewashing(because that feels like it's implying something sinister), her character is specifically said to be japanese in universe.

it's not how she looks, it's a statement of fact.
    We also know she wears whatever body is appropriate for the mission at hand.