Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The media tends to focus on those killed while unarmed.
    no they tend to focus on the unabled black males to fan the flames.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    So....Let me see if I get this right; If I go buy todays newspaper, and don't like what it says, I can go riot and loot all the jewelry stores, and it's medias fault, not mine? Nice, thanks. I'll have lots more jewelry today then!
    Setting fire to journalists isnt a crime either looting your neighbourhood is all fine and dandy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Deleted
    So....Let me see if I get this right; If I go buy todays newspaper, and don't like what it says, I can go riot and loot all the jewelry stores, and it's medias fault, not mine? Nice, thanks. I'll have lots more jewelry today then!
    its bit of both, the people rioting are not the sharpest tools, the media plays on this, i wouldn't say media is the cause but it certainly plays its part. Though the media most likely do it for money and viewers more than anything else.

i never attempted to excuse the riots. i think they should all be locked up. or at least beaten a little.

they're trash, and the media is trash for doing their best to work them into a frenzy by spreading this false narrative of an all out war on blacks, when it's a load of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    #White lives matter!

Or something.
    #malelives matter. I am screaming sexism here, there should only be 49% of males shot since that's what we are by population!

Deleted
    I'm not understanding this thread... Is it trying to say that unarmed white people are being unlawfully shot and occasionally murdered by cops as well, so it doesn't matter if black people are? Does it really matter who the cops are unlawfully killing?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    its bit of both, the people rioting are not the sharpest tools, the media plays on this, i wouldn't say media is the cause but it certainly plays its part. Though the media most likely do it for money and viewers more than anything else.
    The media is the bellow that stokes the fire, they love this shit.

amazing tho really. how much outrage over these cop shootings but nothing over the thousands of other black on black crimes around the country. Whos lives matter again?
    I get it, some of the cop shootings are crazy...tho some are deserved. If you pull a gun on a cop...or anyone for that matter you are asking to be shot. But i just find it hard to side with people who are mad to the point of burning down their own communities while completely turning a blind eye to the cause of far more black deaths each year.

I know MLK never would have advocated that kind of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Great Read is this bundled with Mein Kampf?
    You know you've stumbled upon a reality denier when they start comparing statistics to Hitler propaganda.

https://thisaintnews.com/static/user...-is-Hitler.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I'm not understanding this thread... Is it trying to say that unarmed white people are being unlawfully shot and occasionally murdered by cops as well, so it doesn't matter if black people are? Does it really matter who the cops are unlawfully killing?
    It matters in the sense when the narrative is saying it only happens to one race, I can link you stories of white men who were murdered by police, but no one gives a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    That is a rate 10-100x higher, relative to population to population, than in any other West-European nation.
    Hold on, before we pass this up and go on, lets see the statistics and lets also cross compare them with crime rates per capita. If America also has much higher violent crime rates its going explain why police shoot people more often.

How about a "US shootings" megathread already? While this isn't reporting specific shooting, it's everyday occurrence anyway.

And to the usual suspects who say "but vehicles kill alot more than guns!" Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_vi..._United_States
    not that they arent "gun deaths" but all justified homicides are still classified as a homicide. I just dont like when its used as part of a statistic. Its not really fair if someone is being assaulted, attacked, raped...etc, and they shoot and kill in self defense, that that can just be lumped right in to total gun deaths so the anti gun people can just use it as fodder in their rhetoric.

Deleted
    fucking sexist cops killing so many males.

No, but the media does play a role. They know the statistics don't back up the narrative they're peddling, and the narrative they're peddling is helping to incite these sorts of reactions.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    What is your opinion on the actual number of people shot dead by the police in the US last year?
    These are the numbers on a population of nearly 320 million people.
    Listing numbers alone is irrelevant.

There would be some relevance in seeing the trend (e.g. is the number of killings growing or shrinking or staying the same), and how does that trend compare to the overall crime rate.

There are certainly cases where it is completely appropriate for the police to kill someone (e.g. the person is actively shooting at them), there are cases where it is reasonable but questionable (e.g. a neutral observer can see the realistic potential for a threat), and there are cases where it is completely unreasonable (e.g. Terence Crutcher - Tulsa). A truly useful analysis would be an in-depth review of those 990 killed.

If, for example, it is found that 900 were killed for completely appropriate reasons, 89 were questionable, and 1 were unreasonable, then we have more individualistic problems. We want to make sure that the unreasonable shooting is addressed appropriately (e.g. charge the office with manslaughter as was the case with Terence Crutcher) and that there is serious investigation into the 89 questionable shootings. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be reality.

If, for example, it is found that 500 were killed for completely appropriate reasons, 300 were questionable, and 190 were unreasonable, then we have huge systemic problems with policing in the country. Even if the 190 unreasonable incidents resulted in charges every time, and the 300 had serious investigations, these are numbers that point to a massive failure in training or training philosophy.

The problem right now is that no one really knows if the 2nd example I gave is about right, too high or too low. We know there are many questionable incidents. We know that there are some unreasonable incidents. We know that blacks are disproportionately killed (you have to consider the percentage of population they represent) and harassed. But we really don't know the full scope of the problem...and putting out simplistic numbers for anyone to latch onto and make their own interpretations is one of the reasons I find "journalists" to be lacking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Fact be damned indeed.

It begs the question though. Why do media go out of their way to create a false narrative that could potentially lead to fractuing USA? Are there people behind the scenes who hope to cripple USA in some way and then take some form of advantage over it when it's vulnerable?
    gets more views thus more ad revenue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I can link you stories of white men who were murdered by police, but no one gives a shit.
    I wish you would, but I guess the problem here is that you and other people who hear of those stories don't give a shit about those unarmed white people being unlawfully shot, and thus you don't bring those cases to light, and I'm guessing you then assume nobody else should care either.

Please, if you've got links to stories and videos of unarmed, innocent white men being shot dead by the cops clearly unlawfully, make some noise about it, because as long as people don't care, crazy people can hide behind a badge.

10+ Year Old Account
    take me with you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I'd be happy to explain this to you.

Black Lives Matter is claiming that blacks are being shot disproportionately by police and that this is evidence is systematic oppression. Facts dispel that claim.

That doesn't mean there isn't a police brutality problem here in America, there very well could be. But it does dispel the racism part of their narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    LOL

just for you to compare (I read the same numbers in the paper here today) germany had 10 people killed by the police in 2015 (80 000 000 people).

And what is that stupid comparison with traffic fatalities doing here?
    Why don't you compare deaths by cancer or others illnesses, too?
    The major difference is, people in Germany don't carry concealed weapons. I totally understand why U.S police officers are on edge when they approach someone, must be stressful to know the person could kill you at any time.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post
    No, but the media does play a role. They know the statistics don't back up the narrative they're peddling, and the narrative they're peddling is helping to incite these sorts of reactions.
    They sure do. And they help to feed this type of crap. You can have a massive pile up on some crowded road and several people will get killed, yet the media will not spend 3 days covering it almost 24 hrs each day.