Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Battle.net has NOT been around since 1996. The original 1.0 was gutted and they rolled out 2.0 which is just a launcher. 1.0 is effectively defunct. Don't confuse 2.0 with 1.0. The two have absolutely NOTHING in common. People on 1.0 cannot communicate with those on 2.0.
    I don't understand.
    What's exactly your position regarding battle.net tech evolution through the last 20 years ?

No it is not. The system they currently call battle.net 2.0 was launched in 2009. Go do some reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle.net

That system is totally unrelated to the original battle.net 1.0

They opted to name the abandoned relic as battle.net classic. But they were completely two different systems that are unrelated.
    And the revamp has done what to their old games exactly? Nothing. They still use the same lobby system and matchmaking system they always have. And again doesn't matter if it was revamped. The original incarnation of battle.net which is still partially used in some games launched 1996 so again wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Why are people fighting over this shit? Is the google button broken?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle.net

"Battle.net is an internet-based online gaming, digital distribution, and digital rights management platform developed by Blizzard Entertainment. Battle.net was launched on November 30, 1996, with the release of Blizzard's action-role-playing video game Diablo."

Or are we now arguing that people manipulate articles as well....
    Yeah let's go with that. OP is already spouting conspiracy theories about how a name change is going to change and kill a service.

Deleted
    It's just a rename calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    It's just a rename calm down.
    Indeed anyone thinking anything is going away is delusional. The app stays, the old games still have their core systems from when they launched and Blizzard still take our £9.99 a month for WoW.

Combo name changer-tality. rip b.net because of the name?

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    they are just renaming it, chill out man.

im still gonna call it battle.net and battletag nonetheless.
    This I got used to that names to much - "did you join bnet?", "tell me your btag". The best way for Blizzard to rename Bnet is Blizzard.net - in short it will be the same "Bnet".

Battle.net has NOT been around since 1996. The original 1.0 was gutted and they rolled out 2.0 which is just a launcher. 1.0 is effectively defunct. Don't confuse 2.0 with 1.0. The two have absolutely NOTHING in common. People on 1.0 cannot communicate with those on 2.0.
    When was the original 1.0 released then, and what purpose did it serve?
    Battle.net have always been Starcraft/Warcraft online lobby for me, and later a launcher. And you people seems to think 1.0 battle.net was genius and the best thing ever, what exactly made it that?
    As far as I know Command & Conquer games had lobbies as well and social hubs, so what made battle.net special? Someone please explain what this 1.0 genius thing is please.

Quote Originally Posted by Knslyr View Post
    When was the original 1.0 released then, and what purpose did it serve?
    Battle.net have always been Starcraft/Warcraft online lobby for me, and later a launcher. And you people seems to think 1.0 battle.net was genius and the best thing ever, what exactly made it that?
    As far as I know Command & Conquer games had lobbies as well and social hubs, so what made battle.net special? Someone please explain what this 1.0 genius thing is please.
    It was 1996. Original battle.net served as multiplayer for D1 in a basic form and lobbies for Warcraft 3, Diablo 2 and Starcraft as well as matchmaking. Not sure what it did for Warcraft 2 though as I never really went online with that game although I know a battle.net edition of the game exists. Literally they wanted Diablo to be played with friends so set the basic service for multiplayer up a month before release.

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    It's been around since 1996, but now they're renaming it because it's confusing...
    And if they change it, then this will be truly confusing ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    And if they change it, then this will be truly confusing ...
    How? Get used to the new name or just keep calling it battle.net. Blizzard aren't gonna send a hit squad after you for calling it battle.net still

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It was 1996. Original battle.net served as multiplayer for D1 in a basic form and lobbies for Warcraft 3, Diablo 2 and Starcraft as well as matchmaking.
    Yes, that is what Im thinking off when I hear battle.net, and you apparently. But some other people here seems to make it up as something else?
    Unless people think it was genius of Blizzard to offer something that pretty much everyone else did as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Knslyr View Post
    Yes, that is what Im thinking off when I hear battle.net, and you apparently. But some other people here seems to make it up as something else?
    Unless people think it was genius of Blizzard to offer something that pretty much everyone else did as well.
    The original battle.net was for their games upto Warcraft 3. Also it was used in WoW until the revamp in 2009. Real ID was part of the new battle.net and tbh being able to talk to my friends on other Blizzard games is quite a handy feature. Only 1 game doesn't utilize battle.net at all and that is the first Warcraft game because online multiplayer wasn't really a thing in 1994.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stormare View Post
    I only play wow so I remember that change with launcher and real id.
    Except that that's Battle.net 2.0

Battle.net has been around since Warcraft II and has been the name of their online service ever since.

An older Battle.net build allowed one to communicate across Diablo II, Starcraft and Warcraft III

While I understand the reasoning that battle.net does not have any hint for Blizzard's company name, it is a well known brand, and many competitor's PR guys would probably kill for a name like "battle.net".
    But well, they have the well paid experienced analysts who tell them what's the right thing to do, who am I to question them.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    They're just renaming it. Nothings really going to change.
    Pretty much.

Who cares what they call it. If you play one of their games you'll have to use it. Doesn't matter the name as you will be directed to it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stormare View Post
    Battle net since 96? Im pretty sure we played with wow launcher till wotlk.
    It does not mean the app did not exist. It was just not necessary for launching WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    The original battle.net was for their games upto Warcraft 3. Also it was used in WoW until the revamp in 2009. Real ID was part of the new battle.net and tbh being able to talk to my friends on other Blizzard games is quite a handy feature. Only 1 game doesn't utilize battle.net at all and that is the first Warcraft game because online multiplayer wasn't really a thing in 1994.
    Yea so basically battle.net 1.0 was just basic functionality which all online multiplayers offered through GameSpy or their own tech at the time. Lobby, connecting players, adding friends, rankings etc.

And Im not sure why people would dislike 2.0 since from what Im aware of we have not lost anything, just gained new functionality.

Lauching Team Fortress 2...

OH, this server browser! So special, so unique! Look how I can... use it to join servers in the game! I hope they never ever rename this special lobby system, it's one of a kind!
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

So your problem is that they're not supporting 20 years old games anymore?