Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    A path that forces you into a less-options lifestyle is an overpopulation argument.
    The biggest threat to our meat consumption levels is developing countries, the poor becoming richer. It could drive up prices on meat if there's a higher demand that cannot be me(a)t.

We'd probably need to do some serious down-sizing of our world population, or that artificial meat needs a breakthrough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It wouldn't really surprise me if it was an extension of current systems; there's a huge amount of wastage currently.
    Up to one third of all food is wasted according to FAO, so yeah.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    The biggest threat to our meat consumption levels is developing countries, the poor becoming richer. It could drive up prices on meat if there's a higher demand that cannot be me(a)t.

We'd probably need to do some serious down-sizing of our world population, or that artificial meat needs a breakthrough.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Up to one third of all food is wasted according to FAO, so yeah.
    Yes because food is one of the most perishable products.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Overconsumption how? Shouldn't individuals be free to chose how much meat they decide to purchase then eat?
    How much meat individuals choose to eat doesn't just affect those individuals, though. It affects everyone.

Should we be free to heinously pollute the planet? Because raising livestock is pretty good at that. Some argue that they're worse than cars in terms of their emissions -- not even counting the water pollution resulting from livestock. We already have limits on pollution of many kinds, and most reasonable people agree with limits. I don't see what's unreasonable about limiting livestock emissions, either, even though we don't do that. Which means, as an answer, sure, individuals should be free to choose how much meat they eat, provided they can find that much and afford that much. But society as a whole clearly needs a limit on that.

As for the source, there's a boatload of them in both directions, it appears. Real contentious, as some say "we're already past it" and others say "we could feed 10b with what we have right now if everyone was a vegetarian". Many more other differing opinions, like what Endus posted about extending our current systems.

Personally, I don't think the "west" is likely to see much of the increase that's going to get us to 10b. Nearly all of the countries with the high growth rates are developing nations.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    How much meat individuals choose to eat doesn't just affect those individuals, though. It affects everyone.

Should we be free to heinously pollute the planet? Because raising livestock is pretty good at that. Some argue that they're worse than cars in terms of their emissions -- not even counting the water pollution resulting from livestock. We already have limits on pollution of many kinds, and most reasonable people agree with limits. I don't see what's unreasonable about limiting livestock emissions, either, even though we don't do that. Which means, as an answer, sure, individuals should be free to choose how much meat they eat, provided they can find that much and afford that much. But society as a whole clearly needs a limit on that.

As for the source, there's a boatload of them in both directions, it appears. Real contentious, as some say "we're already past it" and others say "we could feed 10b with what we have right now if everyone was a vegetarian". Many more other differing opinions, like what Endus posted about extending our current systems.

Personally, I don't think the "west" is likely to see much of the increase that's going to get us to 10b. Nearly all of the countries with the high growth rates are developing nations.
    I'm against such authoritarian ideas. Luckily the president and Congress have no such desire to implement meat limitations.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm against such authoritarian ideas. Luckily the president and Congress have no such desire to implement meat limitations.
    And I'm against having to have millions of people move away from the coasts. Unluckily the president and Congress haven't done enough. And depending on who gets in next year, they might actively work towards us having to do that.

7+ Year Old Account
    And I'm against having to have millions of people move away from the coasts. Unluckily the president and Congress haven't done enough.
    If there is plenty of natural resources for everyone then they can be sustained at a higher elevation. Is there enough natural resources per capita for that contingency?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poptech View Post
    The Heartland Institute's mission statement is:

"The Heartland Institute’s mission is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems. Those solutions include parental choice in education, market-based approaches to environmental protection, privatization of public services, and deregulation in areas where property rights and markets do a better job than government bureaucracies."

We have never had a free-market so it is not possible to see what it does to anything.
    I never realized the Heartland Institute was located in The One True Scotland - thank you for pointing it out.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

The impending race war will solve the overpopulation issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Indefinitely, sure. There's quite obviously a max sustainable population. We aren't at it, however. It's estimated to be ~10 billion people where we start having sustainability problems. At current rates, that'll be sometime between 2040 and 2050.
    It depends very much on the level of technology available.

The ultimate physical limit for the number of people the Earth could support is around 1 trillion. This limit is set by the need to radiate waste heat to space without the planet becoming too hot. This number assumes food is mostly synthesized rather than grown (which would be a good idea, as agriculture is both hugely inefficient and highly environmentally disruptive.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It wouldn't really surprise me if it was an extension of current systems; there's a huge amount of wastage currently. The planet doesn't have a food production issue, for instance; there's more than enough food produced for every human on this planet to be fat and happy. The reason there's famine and hunger is that food distribution is an issue, largely for economic reasons rather than logistical ones (if we can get fruit from Argentina here in Canada, then shipping food to destitute regions is totally possible).
    That's an interesting point. I read that the biggest single thing that would benefit African nations is a modern road system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That's an interesting point. I read that the biggest single thing that would benefit African nations is a modern road system.
    That and overall economic strength (the two are related). It's why some developing countries are starting to move out of that "developing" status; their economies are surging and catching up to the developed world fairly quickly. The absolute best thing we can do to stifle population growth is pull everyone up to a decent living standard; the one constant factor that pushes population growth is high child mortality rates. It's not economics, it's not religion, it's not culture; you improve child mortality rates so that you don't have to worry about your kids surviving to adulthood, and people just naturally stop trying to have a ton of kids after a generation or two. The costs of supporting those kids becomes more critical than the risk of having them die and leaving you no next generation of your family.

why doesnt the west donate all the local-grown, organic, no preservative food we're wasting to the developing nations who are starving? Give them something healthy rather than GM frankenstein crops?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    How is it a problem? Agricultural production has grown exponentially?

Not to mention with all the "progressives" out there who want to be single and live life till they're 40, we don't have that much to worry about the earth's population getting too high.
    Yes Agricultural production has grown exponentially but its not going to be able to keep up. Look at brazil for example, their dedicating most of their available land for slaughtering cattle. Cows also provide a shit ton of methane gas/waste. GMO corn is also a big issue, the majority of corn is the same GMO strand, if something were to happen to that strand it could wipe out everything. We do not have the ability to sustain the way we're growing. Fresh water will also be a problem.

Indefinitely, sure. There's quite obviously a max sustainable population. We aren't at it, however. It's estimated to be ~10 billion people where we start having sustainability problems. At current rates, that'll be sometime between 2040 and 2050.
    With this current system and/or consumption habits (as they are related), yes, we are already overpopulated. In 2016, the 'oveshoot day' (when we humans consumed already what the Earth can regenerate in one year) was 8th of August.
    Also, take into consideration the rising living standards of regions liek China aod India.

Overpopulation has turned out to almost always be a self-fixing problem.

Once you fix the primary political/social/economic problems, population growth rapidly tapers off. Most of the developed world is stable or having conversations about not enough growth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    Overpopulation has turned out to almost always be a self-fixing problem.
    The same logic can be applied to Carbon green house gases. The question is should there be a limit on quantity to benefit civilization long-term.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-09-23 at 06:57 PM.