Thread: No Man's Sky

omg looks awesome , cant wait when it comes out XD

Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAH.

I mean. A Doom mod. Triple A title my a**.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAH.

Because you can never ever create the concept in something else. Not to mention no one billed NMS as a AAA title. It was just a $60 indie title.

- - - Updated - - -

The patch notes for 1.09 are out for PC: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/log/#pc_1_09 and PS4: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/log/#ps4_1_09
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Because you can never ever create the concept in something else. Not to mention no one billed NMS as a AAA title. It was just a $60 indie title.

- - - Updated - - -

The patch notes for 1.09 are out for PC: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/log/#pc_1_09 and PS4: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/log/#ps4_1_09
    Hope they get to those bigger updates soon. I'm dying for that basebuilding/freighter ship update!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAH.

I still think NMS is lacking in gameplay depth and Sean lied about his game, but to be fair, that mod is essentially just a prototype in comparison.

Getting a prototype up and running doesn't take long at all, it's delivering that to a standard good enough for end users that does.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    yeah, my tone was definitely over the line there. Anyway, while i appreciate the concept behind NMS and i'm still somewhat intrigued by it, this is one of the blatant cases where i'm glad of my game-buying behaviour.

This game isn't simply worth the price for me. Maybe i expected too much, maybe Hello games lied, maybe i don't know better. Point is, i'll just wait for the updates, and the probably goty/fancynamehere edition on sale on Steam before even considering owning it.

The base and potential is huge. Realization/implementation is just lacking.

Meanwhile i'm playing Freelancer and it has way more stuff to do despite being a 2000 game.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    at what point does something get labeled 'indie'? when there's a low amount of people working on it?

Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    at what point does something get labeled 'indie'? when there's a low amount of people working on it?
    To me (and originally), it means a developer(s) that is independent from outside influence (e.g. publisher). I think the term has been bastardized a bit though.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

as a gamer i'm pretty jaded when it comes to new games, I'm getting kinda tired of games releasing like nms and not taking on any of the innovation over the years.

played a bit of red faction guerilla last night, hadn't played it since the steam edition was patched in, but it makes me wonder how a game that was released 8 years ago manages to have a better physics system. nms mining is a decent portion of the game but they couldn't add physics to the ore deposits? so you end up with all these floating shards that looks super ugly and immersion breaking.

then you have the simulation, everything that happens only happens around you, so everything feels fake, it doesn't feel like there is a separate simulation going on in the back ground it just feels like a series of dice rolls. 1) shall we spawn a group of ships to fly over the player 2) shall we spawn pirates 3) freighters 4) others ships enter and exiting the station. its all so canned nothing feels organic.

the game manages to do 1 thing kinda well, the procedural generation, all the other game play aspects feel like first iterations.

ppl generally don't care if your a 15 man team a 100 man team or a 1 man team, if your charging $60 for your game then ppl will expect AAA quality.

Its still kinda surprising me how they managed to drop the ball so badly. so many design flaws and entirely missing elements. I don't know whether to feel sympathy for the devs getting all this hate and negativity or just join the foaming at the mouth crew over being sold a dud game.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-09-23 at 11:32 AM.

yeah i was going to mention i mean when looking at value, if you bought that game like i did in 1999, I mean, very few games will ever come close to that value for money.

most games pale in comparison, the amount of total conversions kept half-life entertaining for way longer than normal. or at least these days to get that same level of replayability you have to pay for dlc. its almost impossible to compare value to a game like half life.

at the same time its a shame that games aren't living up to the same potential. perhaps its design limitations, or just a lack of overall time, all in all I just hope they manage to carve nms into a decent game eventually perhaps modders will save it.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-09-23 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    To me (and originally), it means a developer(s) that is independent from outside influence (e.g. publisher). I think the term has been bastardized a bit though.
    Yep and that's why I don't see this as a indie game. Its a really shitty amateur AAA game.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

It's not an indie game with that insane pricing. This horrible price alone should be an "fuck off, it's not an indie!" label. Normal indie games are much cheaper and offer much much much more content. NMS is worth max 20$, max. And again - I am soo glad I got it for free (no piracy). Otherwise I would never ever pay that much for this. I understand paying full price for Fallout 4 + Seasn Pass, because there is soo much great story and content and atmosphere, but NMS - no way.

Yep like I said this wasn't a indie game. At best a person could say it was a amateur made AAA game. But its still a AAA thanks to the help from Sony.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    An independent video game (commonly referred to as an indie game) is a video game that is created without the financial support of a publisher.
    The title was developed over three years by a small team at Hello Games with promotional and publishing help from Sony Interactive Entertainment.
    Bolded correct parts.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Bolded correct parts.
    You do realize that Promotional and Publishing falls under financial support right? All you did was prove Myobi's point even more.

This was a amateur AAA game but still a AAA game.

Doesn't matter ether way really, The game is IMO shit and Sean Murray can go fuck himself for outright lying to the community.

Reading this page has made me dumber, apparently people don't realize there are games that are neither indy nor AAA. Arguing that it has to be one or the other is flat out ignorance.

In what universe is Gravity Rush AAA just because Sony publishes it? Hell in what world are the Hyperdimension games AAA just because they have publisher support?

What makes a game AAA is a massive combined marketing and development budget. There are plenty of games funded by publishers with small dev teams and small marketing campaigns. They're not AAA. If a game doesn't have TV ads running on ESPN and murals up in major cities it's not AAA. Guess which had neither? NMS.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-09-23 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Reading this page has made me dumber, apparently people don't realize there are games that are neither indy nor AAA. Arguing that it has to be one or the other is flat out ignorance.

In what universe is Gravity Rush AAA just because Sony publishes it? Hell in what world are the Hyperdimension games AAA just because they have publisher support?
    Its almost like people have different opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Its almost like people have different opinions
    Except it's not an opinion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

In the video game industry, AAA (pronounced "triple A") or Triple-A[1] is a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion.[2][3][4][5] A title considered to be AAA is therefore expected to be a high quality game or to be among the year's bestsellers.
    Where is the word publisher used in that definition? AAA is related to budget, not having a publisher.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_...ie_development

Though, does it even matter if it’s an indie game by definition or not? It’s completely discussible I guess but in the end they still had a big company giving them a hand and was priced as a triple A game.
    Oh now it doesn't matter, eh? No man's sky was produced without Sony. And you really cannot publish it on PS without Sony affiliation.

You do realize that Promotional and Publishing falls under financial support right?
    No it doesn't. Financial support would be Sony financing the development. Publishing the game on PlayStation requires Sony help.
    This was a amateur AAA game but still a AAA game.
    Amateur AAA? Lol wat? Never use these two terms together again.
    Doesn't matter ether way really
    Oh? Doesn't matter heh?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side