Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    while i don't think it's whitewashing(because that feels like it's implying something sinister), her character is specifically said to be japanese in universe.

it's not how she looks, it's a statement of fact.

she should definitely be played by a japanese woman, imo.
    My opinion on the subject:

A simple concept behind Ghost In The Shell, (the anime in particular, given that the comic is much more childish in both tone and plot):

The colour of The Major's skin is irrelevant. 'Her' nationality is irrelevant. 'Her' sex is irrelevant. Kusanagi is a wholly ambiguous character. We refer to Kusanagi as 'her', because they possess a female humanoid cyborg body. HOWEVER, there are numerous story lines and threads that allude to Major Kusanagi actually being a man originally.

The whole point of Kusanagi as a character, is that he/she has transcended the need to be defined by their appearance, or who people perceive them to be. They simply do not care. Kusanagi is Japanese in name alone in the wider scope of things. They're a character that isn't bound to normal categorization or genderization.

They weren't born looking like the Major's cyborg body, as presented in the anime or manga. They were someone else originally, but they associate with the body they've chosen, because they like the way it looks.

The whole point of Ghost In The Shell is that our outwards apperances are meaningless and could come to mean even less, if we did not keep our original bodies. Sex, creed and race are all irrelevant in the eye of an artificial existence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    That trailer was absolute garbage. I can't get a read on the movie at all because the trailer showed so little. Holding my breath cus I love GITS, but that trailer didn't help at all. Hopefully a better trailer will be shown off soon.
    So what you're saying is ... the TEASER trailer was actually a teaser? Color me mindblown.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    while i don't think it's whitewashing(because that feels like it's implying something sinister), her character is specifically said to be japanese in universe.

it's not how she looks, it's a statement of fact.

she should definitely be played by a japanese woman, imo.
    Where exactly did you find this information? Cause it isn't in the manga or the movies or TV shows, nor in any interviews with the creator I looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    2. Are people just raging about a Japanese character being played by a white girl?
    You think it'll flop like the recent Fantastic Four?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    well a white chick did play fucking chun li...live action movies based on anime always suck anyways
    The first 2 Death Note movies were pretty well done. I thought Light, L, and Ryuk were great.

id have preferred an asian actress but the movie still looks great.

asian actors have, probably, the hardest time finding jobs and getting cast for roles.

chloe bennet from agents of shield had to change her name from wang to bennet to get more parts. its not like there is a shortage of asian talent either they just arent giving them jobs.

but in ghost in the shells defense its probably one of the few anime where the character could look like anything.

i really hope theres a part in the movie where she turns into a little girl to trick someone like she does in the show from time to time. that be really cool.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    asian actors have, probably, the hardest time finding jobs and getting cast for roles.
    even more than black actors?

its gonna flop, same way Aeon Flux did

Hmmm...cast some unknown Asian actress to play a character that looks white or cast a wildly popular and well known white actress that's proven herself to be capable of being a capable badass to play a white character...

Who the fuck cares what Asians think. It's an American movie. Do they cast whites in their movies with white/American source material?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    even more than black actors?
    Definitely.

Most shows have at least one black or Hispanic. Character. While it's common for a lot of shows to not have any Asian Americans at all, although the past couple years it's slightly improved.
    Simply having an Asian name can get people written off audition lists

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Hmmm...cast some unknown Asian actress to play a character that looks white or cast a wildly popular and well known white actress that's proven herself to be capable of being a capable badass to play a white character...

Who the fuck cares what Asians think. It's an American movie. Do they cast whites in their movies with white/American source material?
    There aren't exactly a lot of white actors in japan. There's plenty of talented English and American Asians who have the acting ability to play a Japanese character.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    You think it'll flop like the recent Fantastic Four?

- - - Updated - - -

The first 2 Death Note movies were pretty well done. I thought Light, L, and Ryuk were great.
    Probably.

I don't think enough people care about Ghost in the Shell either way,

Most shows have at least one black or Hispanic. Character. While it's common for a lot of shows to not have any Asian Americans at all, although the past couple years it's slightly improved.
    I wouldn't be surprised. If you randomly took 50 people in a room, it'd be common to find a room without any asians at all. I think marketers are just responding to this fact. Now that china is a growing/significant movie market, I'm sure we'll see plenty of pandering to them in american media - which by your sentiment would be unfair.

does she look Japanese in the Manga and anime? no. she looks white.
    still dont see why there are complaints. also she is ghost/soul in a robot body.

i dont see the problem.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    does she look Japanese in the Manga and anime? no. she looks white.
    looks asian to me

Are you blind?
    She looks nothing like an Asian.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

looks asian to me

[IMG]https://studiesofamerica.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/motoko_kusanagi3.jpg[/ IMG]
    [IMG]http://img.over-blog-kiwi.com/0/55/12/65/20140417/ob_1d7dc9_mv5bmtu4njcymjmynf5bml5banbnxkftztgwnd.jpg[/I MG]
    [IMG]http://moviesdrop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Ghost-in-the-Shell-1995-.jpg[ /IMG]
    I'm not sure what you think Asian people look like. Her facial design is barely any different to the classic Disney art that most manga/anime are based on:

Aside from having a normal sized nose, Scarlet Johansson looks pretty similar to her:

And on the final note, the last time people made an anime with girls based on actual Japanese girl's faces, the Japanese fans flipped out over how they weren't cute enough:

Japanese anime and manga's basic facial designs are based on Disney's art style. They very rarely actually represent the facial structures of actual Japanese people. Except when it comes to older men. There seems to be quite a lot of older male archetype characters, who are actually based on more realistic designs.

she looks very asian, especially in the eyes. even more so in her most recent incarnation

Teasers look crap. Why is the Asian dude with white hair dropping bullets out of a guy like a 16 year old in a highschool play trying to do a Clint Eastwood impression?

Also looks like the movie will be taking itself too seriously and trying to be artsy resulting in a boring awkward mess

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Also looks like the movie will be taking itself too seriously and trying to be artsy resulting in a boring awkward mess
    thats kind of what ghost in the shell is.

thats kind of what ghost in the shell is.
    Fair enough. I just have memories of ghost in a shell from the ps1 game. Haven't watched it before. Think I'll be avoiding this one even with black window sexiness

this movie looks cool, i love ghost in the shell one of my favorites... I hope that they get the setting right though, all I keep seeing is characters