Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Oh...
    It's a police problem that over 3000 people have been killed since Obama's reign has started. And he has not addressed the issue and it is his hometown.
    It also police issue when police actually try to defend themselves against criminals that attack them?
    As I said, being a cop is not particularly dangerous. If people can't handle being a cop without shooting up everyone in sight, they shouldn't be cops. If they insist on being cops anyway and inevitably shoot someone like so many do, they should be arrested, tried and convicted, likely by state or federal authorities, as local ones can't be trusted to police their own.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I think the stats themselves are interesting, but I would like to see them integrated more. For instance, in the race category, how many of the black people shot were armed in some way. Same with white.

Oh - it's a dynamic interface. Interesting. Brb.
    Even it is all 93 why aren't we protesting about all the police officers killed by criminals? All the police officers killed by illegal aliens?
    I know why. Because it does not fit within the Democratic agenda.
    People are protesting for criminals and not police!! This is bizarro world!

Even it is all 93 why aren't we protesting about all the police officers killed by criminals? All the police officers killed by illegal aliens?
    I know why. Because it does not fit within the Democratic agenda.
    Because being a cop is not very dangerous. If you want to protest, maybe you should protest the deaths of cab drivers or loggers or bouncers or bartenders or truck drivers or fishermen or construction workers or roofers or miners or pilots or sales drivers or industrial engineers or garbage men or some of the other more dangerous jobs first.

i cant keep up with all the shootings lately its like every time i turn on the news

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Because being a cop is not very dangerous. If you want to protest, maybe you should protest the deaths of cab drivers or loggers or bouncers or bartenders or truck drivers or fishermen or construction workers or roofers or miners or pilots or sales drivers or industrial engineers or garbage men or some of the other more dangerous jobs first.
    About 20 deaths per 100,000 per year seems like a pretty dangerous occupation compared to other jobs.

Last I checked none of those jobs you mentioned keep the peace. I know would call up the local engineer if I had someone in my house. I would call the police.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shaggs View Post
    i cant keep up with all the shootings lately its like every time i turn on the news
    That is by design. Makes you more dependent on Democrats.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2016-09-24 at 04:51 AM.

About 20 deaths per 100,000 per year seems like a pretty dangerous occupation compared to other jobs.

Last I checked none of those jobs you mentioned keep the peace. I know would call up the local engineer if I had someone in my house. I would call the police.

- - - Updated - - -

what? how so? what does that have to do with it?

- - - Updated - - -

Everything I've listed has a higher risk of death. A lot of us have done several of those occupations, and none of us are constantly bitching about how we 'put our lives on the line'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gersemi View Post
    White people are ~72% and black people are ~13% of the US population.
    Just my two cents.
    Shhhh people dont understand statistics

They take them at face value forgetting they are not proof, but only a tool used to make educated assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Fact be damned indeed.

It begs the question though. Why do media go out of their way to create a false narrative that could potentially lead to fractuing USA? Are there people behind the scenes who hope to cripple USA in some way and then take some form of advantage over it when it's vulnerable?
    Nothing gets better ratings than a riot in progress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we have thread titled "Peopled Stabbed to Death in the EU!" please?
    Stabbed to death by the police? Probably quite low, you might get the odd case every now and then, but you are likely talking single figures.

Overall homicide rate, so not just police-related deaths, is also a lot lower in the EU than US. For example, the UK has a per capita homicide rate about one quarter that of the US.

Comparing fatal police shootings, Britain with one fifth the population of the US, had 3 (not a typo) in 2015. That was higher than the annual average of 2.2.

In 2013 we had 0 and in 2005 we had 6, which was our highest - the police went a bit bonkers that year - 2001 (4 fatal shootings) and 2007 (5) were the only other years the police shot and killed more than 3 people.

I don't have accurate data for other EU nations, but I would be surprised if they were significantly higher.

Just my two cents.
    Thats about all your input is worth. Especially considering that statement has been parroted on pretty much every page of this thread, as well as every similar thread like it.

Thus, if thats your point, then you need to accept the rest. Of 990 police kills, 75% were in response to an attack happening. 870 of the 990 were armed and dangerous, or about 90%.

Thus, if you think black people are over-represented in kills, then you must accept that they are likely to be involved in an active attack that police are responding to, as well as being armed and dangerous in the same proportions

Just my two cents.
    Yeah but black people are hugely over represented in violent crimes. If you take NY as an example, White people are responsible for only 8% of violent crimes, homicides etc.

Since police in general started using much less aggressive policing in reponse to BLM, homicide and violent crimes have increased hugely in many US cities. Far more black people have ended up dead because of BLM and, ironically, nobody really thinks they matter at all as they weren't killed by racist cops.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Fact be damned indeed.

It begs the question though. Why do media go out of their way to create a false narrative that could potentially lead to fractuing USA? Are there people behind the scenes who hope to cripple USA in some way and then take some form of advantage over it when it's vulnerable?
    More than 50% of the people shot by the police are not white, while the population is around 75% white. That basically means that it's 2 times more likely to get shot by the police if you are a minority.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    More than 50% of the people shot by the police are not white, while the population is around 75% white. That basically means that it's 2 times more likely to get shot by the police if you are a minority.
    Are minorities more likely to be shot by the police for being minorities?
    What about minority cops shooting minority criminals?
    What about media selling the false narrative for clicks and views?

The issues of conflicts with authorities in USA are not black and white.

there is something called the use of force scale that all police are familiar with. some simply choose to disregard it because they know they can get away with murder and still be lauded as heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Linandra, you should ignore the suicide numbers. People can kill themselves with just about anything, guns are simply seen as a very quick and painless method to do so. Chances are extremely high they would've killed themselves whether they had guns or not. Only the homicides and accidental deaths matter in this context.
    I don't feel like ignoring it, just because someone wants nicer looking numbers, while the cause of death is obviously clear. Death by a gun is death by a gun. Don't like it? Tell people to suicide with knives then, and watch how many won't actually do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I don't feel like ignoring it, just because someone wants nicer looking numbers, while the cause of death is obviously clear. Death by a gun is death by a gun. Don't like it? Tell people to suicide with knives then, and watch how many won't actually do it.
    Plus, there was a study made that showed how much easier it is to carry out a suicide attempt with a gun and most importantly how easy it is to TRY AGAIN if the first attempt fails.
    The study focused on this particular point. Very interesting.
    Not sure why we should remove suicide numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Plus, there was a study made that showed how much easier it is to carry out a suicide attempt with a gun and most importantly how easy it is to TRY AGAIN if the first attempt fails.
    The study focused on this particular point. Very interesting.
    Not sure why we should remove suicide numbers
    I think it's rather obvious really, without a study. Would you want a quick and rather painless way out, or take a knife and...well, that will hurt bad no matter what you do, and you'll die slower in terrible agony. I doubt that many are prepared for the latter option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

There is a huge disconnect from reality with all these recent shootings. People are so quick to cast judgement. Black person shot by cop? Guilty. Lets riot in the streets and blame whitey. I watched news feeds of the riots in charlotte and it's almost exclusively young people, my own generation. I hate my generation, they're lazy, whiney, annoying, have never said thank you for anything in their entire lives yet are handed everything and are inherently triggered and believe everything is racist, sexist. They are the first people to call the police "pigs" and the first people to yell "call 911". The racial divide hasn't been so large in a long time and there is no end in sight. The next cellphone video of a police shooting will just perpetuate this headache and the media just rally up the crowds more.
    Last edited by Synadrasa; 2016-09-24 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    #1, Blacks are only 12% of the US population, so adjusted for that Blacks are 3.5 times more likely than Whites to be shot by police.
    And men account for 95% of the police shootings despite making up roughly 50% of the population. I'm willing to bet most of the people shot by police are between 15-45 as well.

Hrm, its almost as if the people shot most by police are the most violent demographics. Young men (of any race).

Maybe instead of cross comparing these statistics with the general population, we look at the criminal population.

In 2013 blacks accounted for 54% of the homicides across the country. You'll see similar statistics from most other violent crimes. So despite only making up 13% of the population, they make up roughly half of the violent crime. If I had to bet, I'd wager that cops interact with black people more often than 13% of their shifts on average since they commit much more than 13% of the violent crime.

Adjusted in this manner, blacks should account for roughly half of police shootings. But whites are shot at twice the rate? Seems white people are over represented in police shootings...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    My opinion is that 93 need to be made an example of: fired and jailed.
    Michael Brown was unarmed, and a court system found his death to be justified. You can't automatically determine *ANY* unarmed person shot must mean that the cop is guilty of manslaughter/murder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Being a cop is not very dangerous.
    If being charged with apprehending suspected murderers, rapists, etc is deemed "not very dangerous" I have to ask what job you'd actually think is dangerous?