Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Actually, there were quite a few - just most of them move their careers forward and eventually get jobs on TV, like Rachel Maddow, or maintain a good focus on NPR/PBS... or since they tend to have progressive stances, they've moved onto newer things like "podcasts". You know... the thing that's replacing radio? :P

I am, by no means, endorsing her/MSNBC - just correcting you saying they are out there. You also don't hear much about them because, well, none of them are really controversial or say treasonous things like Limbaugh and Jones do. Nobody makes the news when they talk about equality or enviromental issues... however they do get the news when one of them gets shot by a kook with mental issues who listened way too much to Rush Limbaugh's fearmongering (Gabby Giffords).
    A good number of right of center hosts are also on podcasting due to clearchannel radio. I however stand by my comments about the left's hosts. While often Rush is demonized by the left you had his equivalent in Ed Schultz. Also, if you look at the audience numbers for radio equivalent, its dominated by the right hosts while there is only 1 left host at the bottom, right below a country music channel...

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    At some point society is allowed to say: "Alright, I don't want to have to discuss for the 10,000th time why abortion is okay or why black people should be treated the same as white folks."

I mean, it helps with closing the book and moving forward, instead of wasting time over and over again because some people want to keep arguing that their creation theory is more correct than evolution theory.
    Then you... don't... discuss it? You just ignore them as the collective (AKA the Majority) has ruled their decision? It doesn't matter if some asshole is spouting off his beliefs, that can literally happen anywhere. Trying to shut them down because you don't like what they're saying when they're doing nothing illegal is pretty much exactly against what the Constitution says. Why do you think assholes like Westboro Baptist Church are allowed to go around saying things like, 'GOD HATES GAYS' and 'THANK GOD FOR DEAD MINERS'? Because, despite them being terrible, horrible people, they're not doing anything illegal.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    That's quite an elaborate explanation to get around the simple reality that the left appeals more to young people and young people, by definition, are not 70 year old men, which is the only demographic still listening to AM talk radio.

The modern equivalent is called the "podcast" maybe you've heard of it? You will find that they skew very, very left. In fact, what is by FAR the most popular news talk show on youtube? It's The Young Turks, a very left platform.
    14k paid subscribers and under 1M youtube viewers for its daily podcasts, wow, numbers so impressive it wouldn't even make the top 20 channels in the nation. Congratulations. Now here is your liberal cookie baked in hate.

Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
    What you call right wing nut jobs are called everyday people by the majority.

And yes schools have become an indoctrination class in social engineering.
    Yeah, they are all just everyday people. I know several people IRL that have told me not jokingly that Obama is the anti-Christ(before his second term through the begining of it). When I asked them why he hasn't destroyed the world yet they said "He already has."

But its schools that are indoctrinating people.

Good news tho is that the last year or two they have confessed that he prob isn't the anti-Christ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    He is free to say what he wants personally. That's all that is protected. His use of the airwaves which are governed by a public interest clause is not. Nor is there any right to be carried by private radio networks who are free to dump him any time they like.

But more to the point it seems that the right-wing establishment are realizing Rush and his ilk are a huge problem. That while together they have cumulatively created a highly active voter base that will never stray from the political right, they have at the same time created a group that is radicalized and extremist, that will never compromise, and that is plain batshit crazy. Its these folks electing tea party patriots in republican primaries. Its these folks demanding the government be shit down if Obama will not bow down and do what they want. Its these folks that gave the republicans Trump as their presidential candidate.

I think there will be an internal republican battle after Clinton wins in Nov, and the establishment politicians and their billionaire backers will attempt to purge these folks (Rush, Hannity, etc) from the party. I personally think they will succeed and while they won't get them all they'll get enough of them. If they don't the craziness trend of the republican party is clear and its going to get worse.
    Removing him for economical reasons is perfectly fine, forced removal for political reasons from public radio is not.

Leave him on the air. He's comedy gold and his listeners actually believe some of the insane things he says.
    "Cars are good for the air" and "Exercise freaks are the ones draining the healthcare system" You can't make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    I'm alright with reinstituting the fairness doctrine.
    OR course, you are part of the regressive left, im not shocked in the slightest

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    *Cracks Knuckles*

I get to explain this to another one! And it's Tony so it's bonus! ^_^

On a serious note Tony, I used to think exactly the same thing. When suddenly everybody had MLP Avatars popping up I said "Dafuq happened!? did every male have their balls drop off!?".

But, being the science-based minded person I am... Instead of passing my opinionated judgement for fact, I asked myself further "OK, lets find out WHY this is!"

Seeing it pop up on Netflix, I decided to try to figure this out myself and so I started watching the show.

Let me tell you, the first two episodes (a story about the 5 main ponies comming together to find the "Elements of Friendship" which come in the form of jewlery they wear) made me have the overwhelming desire to go outside and chop down a tree, wrestle an alligator and fight off a pack of ninjas to reassert my manhood! :P

HOWEVER! I decided to keep pushing on...

After that girlish 2-parter, the entire show diverts away from "girly" and anything we remember from the 80s cartoon and becomes a straight-up character study of the bizzare personalites of these characters and the world they live in. The writing goes MUCH more than some happy-go-lucky foo-foo show to a combination of action, sight-gags ala Looney Toons, all while maintaining a SENSIBLE level field of optimism (Unlike the pandering optimism of "girly" cartoons we both know of). It is far closer to "Powerpuff Girls" level of anime mockery than anything pretty-foo-foo that we remember.

These aren't just ponies giving gifts and being smiley-happy... these go crazy, get angry, have looney-toon level melt-downs, ect... Hell - in one season there was a straight-up FIGHT sequence of them fighting invading shadow creatures (and by "Fighting" I don't mean kooky things like Flower pots on heads... no, I mean straight-up punching and kicking!). ANd lets not forget there's lots of fun little nods all through the show that only adults would get (One scene having pony versions of the Dude, Walter and Donny from "The Big Lebowsky" come to mind, and a spaced out hippy pony named "Tree Hugger" who (if memory serves me) has a pot leaf for a mark on her.

EDIT: And I forgot guest stars... hell, they got Weird Al-Yankovich in and even did a polka-parody song in one episode, and John D Lancie basically reprises his role as "Q" from Star-Trek in the form of a character named "Discord" who is this omnipotent dragon who can just wish up crazy/bizzare insane things just to fuck with people and keep himself from being bored!

Now, I'm not saying you should watch it at all! (i'm smarter than to ask that! You'd probably still hate it. :P) but just wanted to clarify that the kind of show it is is NOT what you think it is, especially if like me you grew up near/around the 80s and remember the 80s cartoon. It's much closer to an old-school Looney-Tunes show than anything girlish. And, if anything, it's popular because there's NOTHING else like it on TV today. It is a pretty unique cartoon.

But since then I've been making it a point to explain it to adults who were just like me - completely baffled as to why a so-called "Girls cartoon" suddenly became popular with a generation of MEN of all things! I don't try to get them to watch or like it... but at least try to get them to understand that the show is NOT what they picture in their heads at all, and why many do like it.
    Mvallas old friend, I was being facetious

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    So..
    Sponsors are dropping him: Fine.
    Stations are dropping him: Fine.
    VoteVets wants the US army to stop being a 'customer' to his show: Fine.

What exactly is the problem?
    Note: all of this is info from 4 years ago, when he called Fluke "a slut" for asking for covered birth control.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Removing him for economical reasons is perfectly fine, forced removal for political reasons from public radio is not.
    I knew Kellhound would get it...because he's smart

I remember when the Dixie Chicks said they were not happy with George Bush.

The defenders of free speech on the conservative fringe showed their fairness in supporting the women's right to express an opinion.

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Note: all of this is info from 4 years ago, when he called Fluke "a slut" for asking for covered birth control.

OMG, some people think that birthcontrol should be a personal expense, not something everyone else has to pay for.

Interesting tidbit about Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, and tabloids-- the reason you never see them sued for libel is because in tort law, a plaintiff cannot bring a libel lawsuit against a defendant with a public reputation as a liar. After so many inaccurate, misleading and untruthful remarks, they are protected from libel lawsuits because supposedly any reasonable person would never believe anything they said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    IMO Limburgh and all those like him need to be taken off the air. Together they have managed to poison political discourse and given birth to the nutjob right wing. Its because of these crazies we now have a large number of right-wing nutjobs who think universities are indoctrination schools, that global warming is a scientist led global conspiracy, that most or all African Americans are sub-human thugs, etc, etc. Its the first world version of the Madrasas the Islamist's use to indoctrinate and radicalize people to turn them into holy mad-men warriors for their cause, and we can see the inevitable result in the rise of Trump. Getting rid of them (Rush, etc) would do the whole world a favor.
    I'm not right-wing, I'm slightly left of middle, and I see that universities are in fact indoctrinating kids into left-wing thought. They're removing free speech, stifling conservative thought, out-right banning speakers they disagree with, and not just people like Milo Yiannopolis, but level-headed speakers like Ben Shapiro, an orthodox Jew and conservative pod-caster. Tell me the last time an orthodox Jew was a threat to anybody. You can't.

Also, of course there are a handful of white racists on the Right, but they're a loud but statistically insignificant minority. Meanwhile, Obama and Clinton are supporting out-and-out racism within the black community when they speak in support of things like the riots the other day. Black man points a gun at black cop and gets shot for it, and somehow it's white people's fault. And even if it were, that wouldn't justify attacking and beating nearly to death random white people walking by.

Thanks to Eis for this great sig and avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    I remember when the Dixie Chicks said they were not happy with George Bush.

The defenders of free speech on the conservative fringe showed their fairness in supporting the women's right to express an opinion.

/sarcasm
    You honestly don't grasp the difference...sigh...ill try here *pinches bridge of nose*

Dixie chicks pissed off their listener base. Listener base refused to listen to them and told radio stations that if they played them, they would quit listening to the stations and refuse to support their advertising.

Dixie chicks went away.

Here, the left wants to silence someone they don't agree with, not with economic means of boycott, but by using government apparatus.

You're not being very pragmatic here sir.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CamdenQ View Post
    I'm not right-wing, I'm slightly left of middle, and I see that universities are in fact indoctrinating kids into left-wing thought. They're removing free speech, stifling conservative thought, out-right banning speakers they disagree with, and not just people like Milo Yiannopolis, but level-headed speakers like Ben Shapiro, an orthodox Jew and conservative pod-caster. Tell me the last time an orthodox Jew was a threat to anybody. You can't.

Also, of course there are a handful of white racists on the Right, but they're a loud but statistically insignificant minority. Meanwhile, Obama and Clinton are supporting out-and-out racism within the black community when they speak in support of things like the riots the other day. Black man points a gun at black cop and gets shot for it, and somehow it's white people's fault. And even if it were, that wouldn't justify attacking and beating nearly to death random white people walking by.
    Yeah I have seen the videos of random white people being beat for just ebing white at the wrong place at the wrong time.

that's reason 124569 I don't live on the east coast anymore, and reason 2 why I carry concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    A good number of right of center hosts are also on podcasting due to clearchannel radio. I however stand by my comments about the left's hosts. While often Rush is demonized by the left you had his equivalent in Ed Schultz. Also, if you look at the audience numbers for radio equivalent, its dominated by the right hosts while there is only 1 left host at the bottom, right below a country music channel...
    Dude, people under 40 aren't listening to the fucking radio. Radio doesn't just compete with radio. It competes with this thing called "the internet".
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    OMG, some people think that birthcontrol should be a personal expense, not something everyone else has to pay for.
    The problem wasn't his view, the problem was his language. There is absolutely no reason to call her a slut. Do you understand that? There's zero evidence she was a slut.

The merits, or lack thereof, of covered birth control are irrelevant.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

You honestly don't grasp the difference...sigh...ill try here *pinches bridge of nose*

Dixie chicks pissed off their listener base. Listener base refused to listen to them and told radio stations that if they played them, they would quit listening to the stations and refuse to support their advertising.

Dixie chicks went away.

Here, the left wants to silence someone they don't agree with, not with economic means of boycott, but by using government apparatus.
    Largely, what the left wants is for a publicly owned apparatus (radio frequencies) to be used disproportionately to support one ideology.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CamdenQ View Post

Except the police chief admits there is no evidence he pointed a gun at the cops.
    -ynnady

Said person also voiced that they seem to think that the amount of money a woman pays for birth control must be directly proportional to how much sex she is having. I'm sure their other opinions are just as educated on the subject.

OR course, you are part of the regressive left, im not shocked in the slightest
    And you are supporting the government subsidizing a specific political point of view, as long as you agree with it.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
    Sounds like a cool dude plus i instantly liked him when i read the left despise him.

Great advertising for this guy. He must be laughing
    That's a wonderfully blind way to form opinions
    Putin khuliyo