Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Not sure if I'm missing something, but why do people say he murdered his moon guard just for lust of power? It's pretty clear in the scenario that it was that, or everyone dies and the legion wins. The "boss" being immune to all damage without extra power wasn't just game mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    My main never killed Illidan though...

Quote Originally Posted by Le rarest Pepe View Post
    Not sure if I'm missing something, but why do people say he murdered his moon guard just for lust of power? It's pretty clear in the scenario that it was that, or everyone dies and the legion wins. The "boss" being immune to all damage without extra power wasn't just game mechanics.
    Because Illidan lusts for power to defeat his enemies.

Yes, he had a noble goal, but his plan was far from it. He even mentions wanting more power from his moon guard, but doubts if he's going too far, then justifies himself by saying it's for Tyrande or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    The only real question I have is if Xe'ra allready knew that Illidan was the solution, and the "Illidan" book clearly show that, why did A'dal "led" the attack on the Black temple ? Instead if just telling us "hey I got some serious Naaru intel that Illidan not only isn't really a bad guy but is actually working on a plan to kill Kil'Jaeden".

Aren't the Naaru not united ? Worse, are opposite Naaru factions a thing ?
    A'dal had bad phone reception.

Poor Thrall is getting replaced now that Metzen is gone

I first thought that illidan died in the fight with arthas, then blizz told me, that he survived and he is hiding because he failed. When i set foot on outland, it was told that illidan is bad guy, who is enslaving draenei, making brothels in Karabor, having dreadlords and a lot of demons in his army and now they tell me, that all the time, he was preparing himself for battle against legion?

Hmm nice writing.

Oh, OOOOOOOOOHHH, now im the BAD guy eh? I, the hero of Azeroth and other worlds, the one who stopped Deathwing, Arthas, Garrosh, Old Gods, Zandalaris, Void Creatures, Demons, Orcs, Infinite Dragonflight, etc, i am evil... ok, but Illidan, ILLIDAN, the angry no druid elf-boy, the "f*ck Kaelthas, f*ck Akama, f*ck Zangarmarsh and f*ck the people who can help me against the Legion", the "do what i say or be destroyed/slaved" is the best person in the universe.

Listen carefully you flying spacial puzzle, you know nothing, so go back the nether and never come back with your hypocrite judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondray View Post
    I first thought that illidan died in the fight with arthas, then blizz told me, that he survived and he is hiding because he failed. When i set foot on outland, it was told that illidan is bad guy, who is enslaving draenei, making brothels in Karabor, having dreadlords and a lot of demons in his army and now they tell me, that all the time, he was preparing for battle against legion?

Hmm nice writing.
    Concubines are 100% vital to the mission against the Legion.

But seriously, I hope they actually go indepth with this, rather than just either brush it off as "Xe'ra gave you the reason" or "It was really the other leaders under Illidan, not Illidan himself!".

It's one thing to take Illidan and give him a redemption arc. It's another to twist him into a victim and make it OUR redemption arc somehow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Because Illidan lusts for power to defeat his enemies.

Yes, he had a noble goal, but his plan was far from it. He even mentions wanting more power from his moon guard, but doubts if he's going too far, then justifies himself by saying it's for Tyrande or something.

A'dal had bad phone reception.

That's pretty irrelevant though, it was him doing it or the legion purging suramar, and probably the world. A person with less ambition might have "died with their principles" or not even been able to absorb that power at all. What good does it do?

That's really what Illidan is about - wanting power and finding that it comes with a price, while at the same time being the only one to even take the risk. I don't think he sacced his moon guard for personal gain at all. He wants power, because he knows he needs it. And he was right.

Sure, it's badly written in parts, and retconned to the nether and back. But there was no choice for him in the story we currently have.

This questchain and the overall new direction of Illidan are abyssmal. Illidan doesn't deserve this fate Blizzard is making him go through.

That's pretty irrelevant though, it was him doing it or the legion purging suramar, and probably the world. A person with less ambition might have "died with their principles" or not even been able to absorb that power at all. What good does it do?

That's really what Illidan is about - wanting power and finding that it comes with a price, while at the same time being the only one to even take the risk. I don't think he sacced his moon guard for personal gain at all. He wants power, because he knows he needs it. And he was right.

Sure, it's badly written in parts, and retconned to the nether and back. But there was no choice for him in the story we currently have.
    It's not irrelevant though, especially when he goes on to start absorbing power from pretty much everything he can get his hands on.

If it was a one time thing, okay, sure, he did it because he had to. But then he continued, and continued, and continued. He even went to the Legion and sided with them, JUST for more power.

And "It came at a price"? No, that moon guard power didn't cost him anything. It costed his soldiers their life, and he kept his and got more power. How does it even make sense if he absorbed all their power that it was a "good idea"? All he did was become a singular source of power, instead of all the guards channeling a spell together and accomplishing the same thing.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-09-24 at 08:34 PM.

It has never been what he was about until the retcons which makes this questline even more cringeworthy.

Deleted
    It did come with a price, killing a lot of your friends and living on for millennia doesn't feel good I reckon.
    I don't know if all the moon guard, alive, channeling their power, would have had the same effect. Blizzards opinion on this would be interesting, but we don't know that.

You're right about him siding with the legion. Bad idea. I'm only talking about the moon guard scenario.

no one gives a shit what Xe'ra thinks. I don't know why are people making a big fuss about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It's not irrelevant though, especially when he goes on to start absorbing power from pretty much everything he can get his hands on.

If it was a one time thing, okay, sure, he did it because he had to. But then he continued, and continued, and continued. He even went to the Legion and sided with them, JUST for more power.

And "It came at a price"? No, that moon guard power didn't cost him anything. It costed his soldiers their life, and he kept his and got more power. How does it even make sense if he absorbed all their power that it was a "good idea"? All he did was become a singular source of power, instead of all the guards channeling a spell together and accomplishing the same thing.
    The stupid thing is battles throughout the whole novels had everyone including Brox,Rhonin,Krasus,Malfurion,etc fought the legion just fine without "sacrifices" then suddenly came up this quest where apparently Illidan had to sacrifice others just to stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion666 View Post
    How the fuck did you finish Illidan questline?!

I did the 2nd chapter(the one in Black Rook Hold) like weeks ago and haven't got any new quest ever since!
    Based on artifact research as far as i know.

I'm AK5 currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    My main never killed Illidan though...
    You will be scolded for being allied with people who killed him.

In the end, the denizens of Azeroth and Outland came to exact their vengeance upon Illidan. Though you did not strike a blow against him, you were complicit in his fall.

I showed you Illidan's life so that you would understand why he fought and made the choices that he made. Yours was the vessel that needed preparation.

If the hatred and doubt in your heart has subsided, take your place at the side of the Light. Soon I will call upon you as we begin the hunt for Illidan's soul.
    DH Version:

Forgive me, noble soul. I mislead you. Light's Heart was not the vessel that required preparation, it was yours.

You, who sacrificed everything for your world, and served your master dutifully until the end. These memories will serve to strengthen your resolve. Look to them when the dark temptation surrounds you and let them grant you the strength to resist and rise against the corrupters.

We will save Illidan and once more you will battle at the side of your master for the fate of all worlds.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2016-09-24 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

That's nonsense, there was a choice. Sacrificing other people's lives for more power. That isn't the right path. Let's even remember what Illidan did in BC and while some of it didn't make sense. Illidan has ALWAYS been someone who does things that others dislike and or find morally questionable. Sure there is a price, Illidan's soul being corrupted and such is that price.

We all know Demon Hunters use the weapon of the enemy. We know what Fel does, it's chaotic and destructive. It's corrupted the Orcs, it's destroyed so many planets. Illidan isn't a villain like the Legion but he's not some great hero that this old Naaru Xe'ra makes Illidan out to be. Besides, making Illidan to be this holy righteous hero takes the demonic theme out of Illidan.

Can't have both.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

It did come with a price, killing a lot of your friends and living on for millennia doesn't feel good I reckon.
    I don't know if all the moon guard, alive, channeling their power, would have had the same effect. Blizzards opinion on this would be interesting, but we don't know that.

You're right about him siding with the legion. Bad idea. I'm only talking about the moon guard scenario.
    I don't think he shows that he cares about it much. I mean, like I said, he questions for about a second if he's no better than the Legion, but then says "Well, it's for Tyrande and Azeroth, so I'm good". This might be true, but he didn't even mourn about it after, he gets yelled at but then instead just yells back about how he did the right thing, and how they're all fools, instead of lamenting the loss or anything.

And I only brought up the Legion thing because it was to call into question Illidan's actual morals, and whether he lusts for power, or only wants more power to save Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    The stupid thing is battles throughout the whole novels had everyone including Brox,Rhonin,Krasus,Malfurion,etc fought the legion just fine without "sacrifices" then suddenly came up this quest where apparently Illidan had to sacrifice others just to stand a chance.
    This too. I mean, he was literally powerless before sacrificing anyone. It was really just a strange scenario in general though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Based on artifact research as far as i know.

I'm AK5 currently.

You will be scolded for being allied with people who killed him.
    DH Version:
    Wait, they actually included a version for people who didn't kill Illidan, and still pass judgment on them to blame them?

And then they call Demon Hunters the noble souls?

Like, on one hand I'm kinda impressed they actually included an Illidan kill check, but on the other...what?

so can my character just join the legion and put an end to this, because sargaras is just trying to save the universe with any means from the voidlords.

maybe in the specific ravencrest hold scenario what illidan did was 'the only way,' but he still acts like a complete dickbag about it. He doesn't tell any of the soldiers in his command what he's doing until he's sucking their souls out, and then at the end when ravencrest is all 'yo wtf was that illidan' he gives him the full anakin: 'how dare you question me blah blah blah you're with me or you're the enemy etc.' We never see him express remorse or question whether he did the right thing by, you know, killing hundreds of his own dudes in cold blood
    Last edited by Cheze; 2016-09-24 at 08:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    That's nonsense, there was a choice. Sacrificing other people's lives for more power. That isn't the right path. Let's even remember what Illidan did in BC and while some of it didn't make sense. Illidan has ALWAYS been someone who does things that others dislike and or find morally questionable. Sure there is a price, Illidan's soul being corrupted and such is that price.

We all know Demon Hunters use the weapon of the enemy. We know what Fel does, it's chaotic and destructive. It's corrupted the Orcs, it's destroyed so many planets. Illidan isn't a villain like the Legion but he's not some great hero that this old Naaru Xe'ra makes Illidan out to be. Besides, making Illidan to be this holy righteous hero takes the demonic theme out of Illidan.

Can't have both.
    So what is the right path? Dying to the first random eredar sorceress and letting the world burn, because "it's not the right the to do"? What follows is letting the legion win is the right thing to do. Do you believe that?

Everything else is pretty much true.