Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Shhhhhhhhhhhh
    That's what I thought: You just know it's socially unacceptable to dislike them, but are incapable of formulating an argument against them, even though you seem to have no problem doing so for left wing groups, at length.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It is pretty bad when people care about flag more than values this flag is supposed to represent...
    Freedom of Speech isn't Freedom of Consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It is pretty bad when people care about flag more than values this flag is supposed to represent...
    you can't care about both?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    stop it RIGHT NOW with your common sense you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    It is freedom of consequences from government action, and firing him can be construed as government action.
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    That's what I thought: You just know it's socially unacceptable to dislike them, but are incapable of formulating an argument against them, even though you seem to have no problem doing so for left wing groups, at length.
    theres plenty about them to dislike, I just refuse to engage you in any argument. you are not a reasonable person.

- - - Updated - - -

It is freedom of consequences from government action, and firing him can be construed as government action.
    If its against school policy....than yeah, fire away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Thats fine too. Protesting a protestor is a perfectly American value, and both sides do it regularly.

Just understand I disagree with your protected speech on calling him anti-AMerican.
    You can disagree with me all you want, it will have no affect on my view of anyone.

Wait a second, OP. Why is the teacher a "piece of trash"?

Did you read the article you yourself posted with the teacher's commentary? He explains his position and intent clearly and succinctly. There are no vague 'reasons'- he literally said the context and expectation he had in the demonstration of a legal case.

OP, your commentary is problematic to the story being presented. It is both biased, derogatory and foolish. You should have not presented your view alongside the articles.

That is poor message boarding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    So I see this little teenage twerp didn't understand the lesson that the teacher was teaching; that the First Amendment supports ALL speech, even speech you disagree with, even speech that can be seen as "anti-American."
    It would seem it was actually the teacher that failed to take the lesson to heart. The student did nothing more than exercise freedom of speech that the teacher disagreed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Wait a second, OP. Why is the teacher a "piece of trash"?

Did you read the article you yourself posted with the teacher's commentary? He explains his position and intent clearly and succinctly. There are no vague 'reasons'- he literally said the context and expectation he had in the demonstration of a legal case.

OP, your commentary is problematic to the story being presented. It is both biased, derogatory and foolish. You should have not presented your view alongside the articles.

That is poor message boarding.
    Well, using the "N" word is also something he can do under freedom of speech, and is arguably just as offensive. Doing both is trashy in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    It would seem it was actually the teacher that failed to take the lesson to heart. The student did nothing more than exercise freedom of speech that the teacher disagreed with.
    Exactly...HOW DARE HE DISAGREE, VIOLATION OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!

To me this isn't offensive at all. He was stepping on the flag not what it represents. It would have been different if he was yelling allah ahkbar while doing but it's clear it was an engageing way to help the students relate to the first admendment. Unless there is some specific rule or law there that makes this fireable or criminal I dont understand why he was suspended other than political pressure from a mostly military area.

Dude seems like an intelligent and caring teacher so if this ruins his career it's a loss for the youth he could have nurtured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

10+ Year Old Account
    Its actually not freedom from consequences from all government action either, and firing him is perfectly acceptable if he is shown to not be able to perform his duties, which a lack of respect from his students may bring about.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can't care about both?
    Not in this case, no. Since the teacher specifically stomped on the flag to demonstrate the values it represents, you can't care about the piece of cloth enough to want to throw the teacher out of school, and also support the values the teacher demonstrates at the same time. This is actually a masterful move the teacher pulled out, as it necessarily requires one to take the side in the "pseudo-patriotic nonsense vs societal values" matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While reading the OP I imagined them typing the OP wearing only this:

For maximum effect that is.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

While its his right to burn/cut/stomp on the flag, choosing the flag to as the target for the lesson is about as inappropriate as the Quran.

I bet if it were a Quran and the kid were a Muslim we'd see a different reaction from some of the people in this thread.

theres plenty about them to dislike, I just refuse to engage you in any argument. you are not a reasonable person.
    I'm a very reasonable person. You just don't like getting called on your shit and cornered with our own arguments.

If its against school policy....than yeah, fire away.
    Seems like a strange thing to be against school policy, but schools operate under very restricted Constitutional rights, so it's possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Its actually not freedom from consequences from all government action either, and firing him is perfectly acceptable if he is shown to not be able to perform his duties, which a lack of respect from his students may bring about.
    I meant "not".
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Did he though? As far as I know taking pictures of people, without their permission, not in public areas could be against the law.

I kinda find the people who get upset over 'something bad happening to the flag' to be un-american in the sense they don't understand the ideals behind their own country.
    Technically, a school room is a public place, and the teacher had no reasonable expectation of privacy.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post
    While its his right to burn/cut/stomp on the flag, choosing the flag to as the target for the lesson is about as inappropriate as the Quran.

I bet if it were a Quran and the kid were a Muslim we'd see a different reaction from some of the people in this thread.
    appropriate or not: even the Quran is not excepted from First Amendment. it's harsh, but still covered by its freedom of speech/ freedom of religion clauses to dislike any religion you want.

Perhaps I've not read all the facts, but all you liberals crowing that this young man is just the conservative version of the perpetually offended SJW that we conservatives always complain about, false equivalence is false equivalence. This student didn't throw a hysteric fit, he didn't disrespect the teacher, he didn't seek a "safe space" or demand the teacher be fired or that her personally receive some other kind of special consideration. All he did was take a picture, pick up a flag, and deliver it to the principle. If all of you were half this civil in expressing your disagreement, we'd have much less to make fun of you over.

The teacher does have a right to desecrate the flag. Anyone with even the most rudimentary understanding of the 1st Amendment understands that. He is not however free from the public scorn and professional consequences that may stem from his expression. All that being said, it takes very little personal courage to desecrate the American flag these days as it is very much in vogue. Even if he is terminated in that school district, he'll likely be turned into a martyr rewarded greatly by the well funded and deeply entrenched liberal media and education establishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Can anyone freely walk into a classroom without being told they've no right to be there?

If not then it's not a public space, but private.
    That is not how it works, sorry to inform you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post
    What if it was the Qu'ran and the Bible? Then all of the little strawmen could be outraged together.