Thread: No Man's Sky

Deleted
    "An independent video game (commonly referred to as an indie game) is a video game that is created without the financial support of a publisher"

i'm 100% sure they had financial support from Sony so they would allow them to Publish their game for them.. hence not an indie game

But it's also clearly not a AAA game, but the game is overpriced for what it have to offer, which seems to be the problem, bad marketing and bad pricing lead people to believe it was a AAA game when it's so clearly not.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys had nothing else to complain about No Man's Sky, so you've now spent the past ~6 pages arguing about whether or not it's a AAA or Indie game?

Stay classy, MMO-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    They did name it, but they didn't name it GIF. GIF is an acronym. It doesn't matter what they wanted the acronym to sound like, as it's pretty apparent they failed to achieve that goal by using G instead of J.
    They decided to name it after the acronym. They could have called it 'Fartknocker pro' or some original name. You can have a name in mind and then create an acronym to fit that name. Look at a lot of science fiction robots. Like Fallout 4's Curie. Contagions Vulnerability Robotic Infirmary Engineer, C.V.R.I.E. The one who built her named her Curie, and gave her an acronym that ended up being Curie (well, Cvrie). Just like the makers of the GIF said, "Lets call it GIF", and the Graphics Interchange Format was born. They could have called it ANYTHING else. But they wanted it to be what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Because you can never ever create the concept in something else. Not to mention no one billed NMS as a AAA title. It was just a $60 indie title.
    Oh, right, kind of like my $12,000 fossil watch. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Products are compared to others in the same price range. Call it whatever you want, doesn't change reality.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    They decided to name it after the acronym. They could have called it 'Fartknocker pro' or some original name. You can have a name in mind and then create an acronym to fit that name. Look at a lot of science fiction robots. Like Fallout 4's Curie. Contagions Vulnerability Robotic Infirmary Engineer, C.V.R.I.E. The one who built her named her Curie, and gave her an acronym that ended up being Curie (well, Cvrie). Just like the makers of the GIF said, "Lets call it GIF", and the Graphics Interchange Format was born. They could have called it ANYTHING else. But they wanted it to be what it was.
    That's a nice stretch, but still irrelevant to reality.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    maybe you should just stop giving your personal opinion about it that much credit and realize that it’s not something as black and white as you are trying to make it be.
    Except for the part where it IS black and white because we have exact definitions of what the industry considers indy and what they consider AAA. There is no opinion, there is only facts. A game also does not have to be AAA if it's not indy so your entire argument is silly and flat out lame.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    Oh, right, kind of like my $12,000 fossil watch. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Products are compared to others in the same price range. Call it whatever you want, doesn't change reality.
    So you honestly believe that only AAA games have ever been released at $60 or higher? You can compare products in the same price range yes. But that doesn't mean all products in the same price range are the same. $60 is an industry standard price for all types of games. A lot of console games are released at $60 (or $59.99). That doesn't mean all console games are AAA. You may call that the dumbest thing you have ever read but it shows how little you understand it or how little you can read.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So you honestly believe that only AAA games have ever been released at $60 or higher? You can compare products in the same price range yes. But that doesn't mean all products in the same price range are the same. $60 is an industry standard price for all types of game
    You're absolutely right; some are just shitty, indie quality, content deserts with a $60 price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    You guys had nothing else to complain about No Man's Sky, so you've now spent the past ~6 pages arguing about whether or not it's a AAA or Indie game?

Stay classy, MMO-C.
    And somehow, a discussion about the pronunciation of GIF reared it's ugly ass too. Brilliant stuff.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yea was there NMS ads on TV? How about gigantic marketing campaigns in large cities for it?(Hint: there was neither)

Do you not understand what you just read?

Apparently youtube ads makes you AAA now, lol.

This is all besides the point that you don't understand the difference between "and"/"or".
    Sean murray got to promote his game on the Colbert show. I'd call that pretty big.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    Sean murray got to promote his game on the Colbert show. I'd call that pretty big.
    Which Sony had nothing to do with. He was invited on by Colbert, The Colbert Show doesn't take money to put something on the show as it's mutually beneficial. You do understand how it works right?

That's call publicity, not marketing. AAA marketing would mean you can't go 3 commercial breaks without seeing NMS, you're in times square and see NMS. That's AAA marketing.

Sony's marketing support they paid for the game was limited to spots on their own stages, and internet ads. Hardly AAA especially compared to actual AAA games Sony publish.

Deleted
    Which Sony had nothing to do with. He was invited on by Colbert, The Colbert Show doesn't take money to put something on the show as it's mutually beneficial. You do understand how it works right?

That's call publicity, not marketing. AAA marketing would mean you can't go 3 commercial breaks without seeing NMS, you're in times square and see NMS. That's AAA marketing.
    I never said the game is in the AAA range, but I'm definitely not agreeing to the 'sony didn't do anything durr' mindset. People are qouting their last statement where they say Hello Games did all the bad stuff and sony was just standing watching from the side like they didn't know exactly what was going on. That's them trying to save their own hide.

I never said the game is in the AAA range, but I'm definitely not agreeing to the 'sony didn't do anything durr' mindset..
    Sony's marketing support they paid for the game was limited to spots on their own stages, and internet ads. Hardly AAA especially compared to actual AAA games Sony publish.
    Cute try, but you should actually read the post as I said exactly what Sony did for the game. Let me just cut out part of the post and try to straw man out of context. Cool story bro.

Deleted
    Cute try, but you should actually read the post as I said exactly what Sony did for the game. Let me just cut out part of the post and try to straw man out of context. Cool story bro.
    this is the post I quoted you on, not the one you bring up.
    Yea was there NMS ads on TV? How about gigantic marketing campaigns in large cities for it?(Hint: there was neither)

Do you not understand what you just read?

Apparently youtube ads makes you AAA now, lol.

This is all besides the point that you don't understand the difference between "and"/"or".
    Where you said there were no ads for NMS on tv. I'd call getting to promote your game on a talkshow a form of an ad

10+ Year Old Account
    Where you said there were no ads for NMS on tv. I'd call getting to promote your game on a talkshow a form of an ad
    That would work only if that show, specifically the part where he promotes the game, was on repeat every hour for several days. You know like an ad.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    That would work only if that show, specifically the part where he promotes the game, was on repeat every hour for several days. You know like an ad.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising

5 seconds of google

That's called publicity. The president of Sony said they gave 0 PR to HG so what does that tell you? You understand how going on a talk show works right? Oh wait you don't actually think Anita is a millionaire and paid to get on Colbert do you? No one pays to get on Colbert, they invite people on who they think will make for interesting TV and no money is exchanged either way as it's good for both parties. Since Sony had nothing to do with the PR of HG they had absolutely jack shit to do with Sean Murray appearing on Colbert.

Once again, Sony paid for marketing in the form of internet ads and giving them stage time. They published the physical version of the game on PS4 for them so it would exist. That is all they did, and that's not even close to what Sony does for the bigger games they publish. You quoted the exact post saying that, you cut it out and tried to straw man "don't tell me Sony didn't do anything". Nice try, doesn't work when you're talking to adults.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good, now read it, for a change.

Deleted
    That's called publicity. The president of Sony said they gave 0 PR to HG so what does that tell you? You understand how going on a talk show works right? Oh wait you don't actually think Anita is a millionaire and paid to get on Colbert do you? No one pays to get on Colbert, they invite people on who they think will make for interesting TV and no money is exchanged either way as it's good for both parties. Since Sony had nothing to do with the PR of HG they had absolutely jack shit to do with Sean Murray appearing on Colbert.

Once again, Sony paid for marketing in the form of internet ads and giving them stage time. They published the physical version of the game on PS4 for them so it would exist. That is all they did, and that's not even close to what Sony does for the bigger games they publish. You quoted the exact post saying that, you cut it out and tried to straw man "don't tell me Sony didn't do anything". Nice try, doesn't work when you're talking to adults.
    You are definitely not going to convince that sony had no behind the scenes influence. And that American talkshows are charity events that don't take money.
    I commented on your 'NMS didnt have ads on tv' post. Which they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Good, now read it, for a change.
    I did.

//////////

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Can you share those “exact definitions” then? Because as I said, those definitions seem to slightly change depending on the source… thus why we are all having this discussion.

For example, according to google definitions:
    Can you please stop quoting the very first sentence from that Wikipedia page and just READ THE ENTIRE PAGE for a change? It explains all the characteristics that are common for indie games. It answers your silly question about Ubisoft too.

- - - Updated - - -

I did.

//////////
    Good, so you agree that Sean Murray's guesting on Colbert show was in no way an ad.