A more complete WoW Cosmology Chart

The cosmology chart in Chronicle is beautiful, but it also leaves out some important entities. For example, it shows the relationship between fire, air, water, earth, decay, and spirit, but not related entities like frost, mist, time, moon, stars, etc. There are also some odd choices, like pairing water vs. air as opposites, as well as fire vs. earth, rather than the more sensible water vs. fire and air vs. earth.

I made an alternate cosmology chart (one that isn't beautifully drawn, I'm afraid) to represent my thoughts on these cosmological relationships. What do you think? Are there any entities that should be added, changed, or moved?

Last edited by mitotic; 2016-09-25 at 12:51 AM.

Deleted
    It's nice, but seeing as Boomkins use the power of the Moon to do Arcane attacks, I don't see the Moon being water. The Tides, yes, that's a relation in mythology throughout the ages, but not directly. It's just gravity, after all. :P

And Warlocks do use Shadow and Death, after all (Corruption, Agony, Shadow Bolt, etc)

Edit: Oh, and I don't understand the relation between Mind, Time and the Shadowlands. The Shadowlands are... Shadow. It's in the name xDXD

Seeing Mage spells, I'd say Time is Arcane too (which is logical, because Time is a magnitude of order)
    Last edited by mmoc8aff34db26; 2016-09-24 at 11:17 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    it shows the relationship between fire, air, water, earth, decay, and spirit, but not frost, mist, time, moon, stars
    there are only 6 elements.
    fire, water, air, earth, decay and spirit.

frost is tide to water (obviously, ice and frost IS water), mist is mist.... its water particles in the air, time is arcane related, the stars are simply symbolic to order, (zodiac signs) and the moon is arcane and light based.
    not water.

the shadowlands arent tied to time and mind at all.
    both, dream and shadowlands are tied to the soul.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2016-09-24 at 11:28 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Frost, mist, time, moon, stars? Is that from the rpg, because that was officially ruled 'non-canon' by Blizzard.

Thanks for all the comments! Sorry for the long post

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Princess Missfit View Post
    Seeing as Boomkins use the power of the Moon to do Arcane attacks, I don't see the Moon being water.
    That's a good point. I assumed that balance moon attacks were arcane damage simply there is no water damage in the game. Is the moon thought to be a source of arcane power in the lore? I know Elune is often connected to the moon and water (tears of Elune, moonwater, moonwells, etc.)

And Warlocks do use Shadow and Death, after all (Corruption, Agony, Shadow Bolt, etc)
    Yes, traditionally "necromancer" abilities seem to have been merged with warlock abilities to create the Warlock class. I wonder how I could represent this in the chart -- thanks!

Edit: Oh, and I don't understand the relation between Mind, Time and the Shadowlands. The Shadowlands are... Shadow. It's in the name xDXD
    The Chronicle chart has the Shadowlands more closely connected to Death than to Shadow. Which makes sense, because it is where the dead go after all. I think Shadowlands was probably a misnomer. Maybe "Deathlands" would have been more precise.

Seeing Mage spells, I'd say Time is Arcane too (which is logical, because Time is a magnitude of order)
    I totally agree that Time should be closer to Arcane. (Maybe not in the same box, but closer definitely.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    there are only 6 elements.
    fire, water, air, earth, decay and spirit.
    Other than Chronicle, is their a source about decay and spirit being a fundamental element? I definitely may have missed something -- they just don't seem quite so fundamental to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyJester View Post
    Frost, mist, time, moon, stars? Is that from the rpg, because that was officially ruled 'non-canon' by Blizzard.
    Oh where was this stated? They definitely seem to be involved in a lot of spells and class specs.
    Last edited by mitotic; 2016-09-24 at 11:48 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Other than Chronicle, is their a source about decay and spirit being a fundamental element? I definitely may have missed something -- they just don't seem quite so fundamental to me.
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Spirit_of_Life

decay is the opposite of spirit, you are using spirit to heal and communicate with the elements, while with decay you bind them to your will into servitude.
    that's how dark shamans can use the elements.
    Oh where was this stated? They definitely seem to be involved in a lot of spells and class specs.
    all spells related to stars or moon are arcane or light based.
    time again arcane.
    frost is water, (or arcane if you are a mage).
    mist is air, water and spirit.
    hence mistweaver monks.

also:
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    Q: Are the Warcraft and World of Warcraft RPG books considered canon?

A: No. The RPG books were created to provide an engaging table-top role-playing experience, which sometimes required diverging from the established video game canon. Blizzard helped generate a great deal of the content within the RPG books, so there will be times when ideas from the RPG will make their way into the game and official lore, but you are much better off considering the RPG books non-canonical unless otherwise stated.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2016-09-24 at 11:44 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Good work..just swap Air with Earth and it should be perfect - air on top, closer to blues and greens, earth closer to browns and reds etc

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh, and I don't understand the relation between Mind, Time and the Shadowlands. The Shadowlands are... Shadow. It's in the name xDXD
    the shadowlands are connected to death, not to shadow.

Formerly known as Arafal

Never understood why Chaos was termed Disorder (almost never used anywhere else) in Chronicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Good work..just swap Air with Earth and it should be perfect - air on top, closer to blues and greens, earth closer to browns and reds etc
    Nice idea, thanks -- it's cool to see that the colors mostly make sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    Never understood why Chaos was termed Disorder (almost never used anywhere else) in Chronicle.
    Definitely, I agree. Especially since Chaos is also the name for the spell school in WoW.