Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Khuros View Post
    Well if he was doing this as a lesson then we are all looking at this wayyy out of context. he is way with in his rights to do this. It's not even close to illegal. That student was just being butt hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

He was teaching history, He did this as part of a teaching lesson. No political statement. Look at the story. The student just got super butt hurt.
    If he wasnt making a statement why is he going batshit crazy in the aftermath, wanting to sue the child and punish him? I was taught about how you have the right to burn your flag as well, the teacher didnt burn it or stomp on it. There is no reason besides shock value and trying to make a statement to kids.

I will never cease to be amazed by the laws of employment you guys have over in america. That a teacher can lose his job for something like this is just laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    If he wasnt making a statement why is he going batshit crazy in the aftermath, wanting to sue the child and punish him? I was taught about how you have the right to burn your flag as well, the teacher didnt burn it or stomp on it. There is no reason besides shock value and trying to make a statement to kids.
    If he wasn't making a statement, then getting punished for it is generally good reason to get angry.

You sort of gave the answer to your own question in the course of asking your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    I don't think I'll ever find it not weird the level of reverence a large number of Americans give to a piece of cloth.

I mean, his point about free speech is kinda on the nose considering the supposed vitriol it's attracted.
    Yeah but there isn't consequence free free speech. I also wonder if it was HIS flag or the SCHOOLS flag. I'd assume that it was school property. Why didn't he burn a Quran or stomp a gay pride flag? Both would have served the same purpose for his example.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Because hes black lol

I know you are asking just to humor him, but it's pretty obvious how blatantly racist that was rofl.
    yes because clearly the white kid who isnt employed by the school might be an affirmative action hire
    because thats totally plausible

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    yes because clearly the white kid who isnt employed by the school might be an affirmative action hire
    because thats totally plausible
    Why did you call him an "affirmative action hire"?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Why did you call him an "affirmative action hire"?
    because thats exactly what he is

do you not know what affirmative action is?

How do you know he was hired through an affirmative action program?

If you're trying to say that the only way a black person could be hired for a job is because of affirmative action than you've just made the perfect argument for affirmative action.

I don't see why punishing the kid makes any sense, but yes, the teacher should have the right to do that. It's hardly anti-american sentiment if the point of it is to demonstrate a core american value we don't emphasize enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    If you're trying to say that the only way a black person could be hired for a job is because of affirmative action than you've just made the perfect argument for affirmative action.
    it doesnt matter what i think, it matters what he DOES
    and being black gets you free brownie points in education and job placement

so he took those benefits, and then entered the workforce to stomp flags and insult the country that offered him that opportunity

so he took those benefits, and then entered the workforce to stomp flags and insult the country that offered him that opportunity
    What affirmative action program did he take advantage of?

Quote Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
    Yeah this sort of circular reasoning isn't going to lead anywhere. I mentioned bias as it absolutely does invalidate your argument because you're shifting the definition of what a SJW is to mean only the extremes to not have it apply to the lad; You're doing this because you cannot bear the fact that the SJW label isn't exclusive to liberals anymore. Unless in your head only liberals can be SJW's then that's just absurd and would fall under double standards.

You're pretty much arguing semantics by this point since what the kid did and the following result pretty much leads to one conclusion unless someone is trying their hardest to ignore context. There is such a thing as deductive reasoning, and if you're going to bring up my own personal bias again then you might as well know I think SJW's in any form, whether liberal or conservative are a stain on society and their respective political affiliations.
    Sigh, I'll make it really easy for you since you cannot seem to grasp it. I'll even put it in bullet form because that often helps people.

- Many posters are crowing that this student's behavior is the exact same as the liberal SJWs conservatives deride.

- I stated this is a false equivalence because the behavior we deride in SJWs has not been exhibited by this young man. Such behaviors include, (Incoming bullets for the bullet)

- Aggressive, emotional, public breakdowns to get attention
    - Demanding opposing views be silenced and punished
    - Demanding special considerations and privileges because of aggrieved status
    - Inciting violence

- We do not deride liberal SJWs for the following behaviors this young man did exhibit

- Expressing disagreement
    - Recording exposing an authority figure in a public space behaving making a deliberate demonstration

Now without a doubt some of the people who support this man could be given the SJW label, but I've yet to see anything reported that says he should. If something comes up, I might change my opinion. Until then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. You should too. You don't have to, but you should.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Well considering that it's a grey area if a public school is private land or not. So that kid could be in the wrong for taking that picture. That picture took it wayyyy out of context. and showing rather then telling has alot more staying power in kids minds. He didnt want to sue the kid. he just wanted him punished. like suspended or iss.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahahaha, What? He is doing this as a teaching aid. Nothing else. He was not insulting the country. Get off your high horse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    I will never cease to be amazed by the laws of employment you guys have over in america. That a teacher can lose his job for something like this is just laughable.
    Agreed. We don't have this bullshit in Oregon/Washington. wtb cede to canada.

Here are the quotes that should be the central focus of this:

“One of the reasons our country is great is that the Constitution gives people the right to free speech and expression, no matter how much others may disagree or be uncomfortable with the message,” Mike Meno, an ACLU spokesman said. “And that is certainly a lesson worth teaching. The very freedoms and principles that the American flag represents include the freedom to stomp on the flag.”
    “Folks are quick to say this is ‘the land of the free,’ but when you express it, they have a problem with it,” she said. “What he showed was a real-life situation that you can’t just pull yourself out of. I’m outraged by the treatment he’s getting. I’m scared for his safety.”
    There are the quotes that really matter here.
    He demonstrated freedom of speech and even explains that the school is a high functioning school, where students are expected to operate at a much higher mental level, yet their reactions to his lesson more demonstrate that the real mistake he made, was expecting just that .. for them to be at a higher mental level, when they clearly weren't, and neither is anyone crying about this issue either.

Here's an exert from one of the most moving speeches in a movie (or anywhere for that matter) that also touches on this exact issue:

For the record, yes, I am a card-carrying member of the ACLU, but the more important question is "Why aren't you, Bob?" Now this is an organization whose sole purpose is to defend the Bill of Rights, so it naturally begs the question, why would a senator, his party's most powerful spokesman and a candidate for President, choose to reject upholding the constitution? Now if you can answer that question, folks, then you're smarter than I am, because I didn't understand it until a few hours ago.

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms.
    (The full speech can be found here if anyone is interested: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/Movi...president.html )

So you're attacking this man, claiming to be patriotic by doing so, when infact, it's the exact opposite of one of many things that our country stands for.
    Last edited by Spiral Mage; 2016-09-25 at 07:00 AM.

Schools are not a free speech zone. Ask anyone that has gone through school haha.

Teacher had every right to stomp on the flag... and the kid had every right to record it and spread it as far as he could. The school had every right to suspend the teacher.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean you get to act like a jackass without consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Schools are not a free speech zone. Ask anyone that has gone through school haha.
    You forgot the /s

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    FYI - Taking someone's photo with the intent to sell it, benefit from it in any way or to cause harm IS illegal.
    OK. Not really relevant hear unless I missed a sale somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Teacher IS entitled to stomp on the flag, as ist is a perfect example of First Amendment. if the kid is so butthurt about constitutional rights, he can adress the congress about it. But since not even flag burning is prohibited ( because First Amendment agress upon), he has no leg to stand on.

And yes, you are not entitled to photoshot your teacher or anybody else without consent.
    You don't need consent to take a picture of people.