Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Are healers in a perfect balance right now?

I'm curious if there's any numbers tweaks coming to healers, and not just dps (and tanks)? I cannot believe healers are in a perfect state of balance.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    I'm curious if there's any numbers tweaks coming to healers, and not just dps (and tanks)? I cannot believe healers are in a perfect state of balance.
    I think healer balance is less urgent because healers are happy when nobody dies and generally don't care about the meters.
    "How poor are they that have not patience"

From what I've experienced, 5 man content is pretty balanced as far as healers are concerned. I do believe druids seem to have the upper hand and maybe the FOTM name against them.

From raid, I see everything performing equally well under various different circumstances. The only class lagging behind in raid is disc, which seems to be suited more to 5 man healing due to its ability to dish out relatively decent numbers on both meters

Looks not so bad.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10/#metric=hps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmurda View Post
    Agreed, this numbers are pretty impressive. I think in that case, we need to take a moment of silence, in awe of this achievement. Those numbers look crazy close.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Deleted
    I'm not sure what healer balance even means. Healer ability to heal raw throughput numbers?
    That's kinda flawed metric.

Healing is relative to your groups ability to avoid damage and kill the boss quickly.
    All healers are capable of accomplishing that.

From a PvP perspective they are definitely not. MW and Disc are far more powerful than the other specs currently from what I've seen. MW literally doesn't even need to cast to keep people alive in 2s as it stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmurda View Post
    My monk at 833 iLvl. I'm VERY competitive against others as high as 845 iLvl. I've yet to hear anyone say "class X sucks at healing".

Pre-Legion I was told to avoid my monk because "they are very mana hungry for meh healing" and I said "eh, I'll worry about that if/when it happens". At the time I was encouraged to run a resto shaman.

So far the specs in and of themselves seem "balanced enough". There are some fights I'm a bit weaker on but I assume it's the fight or me making mistakes.

My DPS alts, however... is another story (and I wouldn't only talk about raiding either).

Quote Originally Posted by Tahmu View Post
    I think healer balance is less urgent because healers are happy when nobody dies and generally don't care about the meters.
    Yeah no did you miss out on the times where disc was actually good ?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Disc Priest is still behind. They seemed fine in Dungeons, but after clearing Emerald Nightmare on two toons with a few different DPriests, we had to keep replacing them because their HPS is lacking. They just weren't carrying their weight and it made it more taxing on the other Healers.

Also, I think some classes struggle more with mana. My Resto Druid is my main (MW alt) and I notice just how much more cautious I have to be while playing her. Shamans seem to just laugh at mana issues
    Disc priests aren't supposed to carry their weight. Currently they're looking, on average, to be about 80% of a regular healer and about 30-40% of a regular damage dealer. You keep the disc priest in when heals are fine and you want more damage. You take them out when you need a full healer. I've also seen some capable discs who can keep up with regular raid healers.

All of the healers seem to be performing equally and at this stage you won't see healers trying anything crazy when it comes to pulling numbers. Healers have a very different focus at the start of an expansion, and that is to make it so you are able to keep up with increasing damage demands and raid healing numbers. It's not until farm that you even see healers comparing their ranks and trying to pull off crazy underhealing nonsense.
    Ixila of Forgotten Aspects - US Hyjal 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel
    My YouTube kill vids!
    Ixila - Holy Paladin - Armory | Ixtide - Resto Shaman - Armory

Deleted
    Tried healing for the first time in normal dungeon as resto shaman. Read carefully the tooltips, tried to understand priorities and rotations etc, I was good to go.

That was the most exhausting experience i've had in wow. I'm not sure if it's me, or the tank, or legion or whatever, but everyone was taking shit ton of damage, i could almost never focus on the tank, had to use my expensive heal all the time, couldn't find 1 sec to help for dps, had to do each boss with half mana because everyone was running as fast as possible.

I mean, it must be me, because it was normal dungeon and I was clearly over geared for this content (ilvl 820+).

So if healers are in a "perfect balance" then that's good news and I guess I have to practice, and use raid addons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tictactucrac View Post
    Tried healing for the first time in normal dungeon as resto shaman. Read carefully the tooltips, tried to understand priorities and rotations etc, I was good to go.

That was the most exhausting experience i've had in wow. I'm not sure if it's me, or the tank, or legion or whatever, but everyone was taking shit ton of damage, i could almost never focus on the tank, had to use my expensive heal all the time, couldn't find 1 sec to help for dps, had to do each boss with half mana because everyone was running as fast as possible.

I mean, it must be me, because it was normal dungeon and I was clearly over geared for this content (ilvl 820+).

So if healers are in a "perfect balance" then that's good news and I guess I have to practice, and use raid addons.
    Are you using any addons at all?
    This expansion is really punishing for healers if dps don't do anything other than hit the boss, interrupts and moving from things is a must.. expansions before healers could 'carry' groups through mistakes like that but in my opinion not anymore, tanks also drop like wet noodles if they dont play properly although you can still 'carry' when you overgear the current content.

Saying this though.. healing a normal at 820 and struggling does seem a bit rough, you could realistically be healing mythics at that ilvl if your groups do what I said above..

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladins are running great, though, not on the AoE side. Good tank healers now.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Paladins are running great, though, not on the AoE side. Good tank healers now.
    Why do people still tout this crap? Do you really believe that holy paladins exist only to spam heals on the tank? You must run with some pretty awful ones then...

I do great as a holy paladin. Competitive with the Rdruid, Rsham and Hpriest on my raid team. I think the balance between healers is the best its been in a very long time aside from Disc, but that shit is weird to balance anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushu View Post
    Are you using any addons at all?
    This expansion is really punishing for healers if dps don't do anything other than hit the boss, interrupts and moving from things is a must.. expansions before healers could 'carry' groups through mistakes like that but in my opinion not anymore, tanks also drop like wet noodles if they dont play properly although you can still 'carry' when you overgear the current content.

Saying this though.. healing a normal at 820 and struggling does seem a bit rough, you could realistically be healing mythics at that ilvl if your groups do what I said above..
    I'm using a UI addon, that's the only addon i've ever used. But I haven't configured the group/raid box.

I know right struggling at ilvl820.. I wanted to try tanking as well but I'll suck even more, I leveled a Blood DK and I loved it that's a shame. I'm really happy with my support role as enhance shaman, with healing rain, the stun totem, interrupting, bloodlust, self healing when going below 50% health to help healers etc (I know this is all normal stuff for you guildies but nobody does that in random dungeons). But things get boring pretty quick when you don't do high end content like mythic and raids and I was hoping mastering some healing/tanking specs would keep things fresh.

I knew people wouldn't run out of AoE effects, I was okay with it I didn't think it would be so hard to keep everyone alive when nobody cares about your mana pool. DPS guys rather die than using self healing and defensive cooldowns this was really irritating.

Maybe resto druid is easier than resto shaman in dungeons ? I'm going way offtopic there sorry
    Last edited by mmoc4999032f20; 2016-09-25 at 06:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kataroku View Post
    Why do people still tout this crap? Do you really believe that holy paladins exist only to spam heals on the tank? You must run with some pretty awful ones then...
    Never said that, they are just a good tool. Everyone in the team are a tool after all.

Though, seem you are taking it too hard to the pride? Played Holy paladin and that is my opinion, still play holy paladin, still my opinion.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    In this xpac, more than ever, you need a group to do what they're supposed to do. Interrupt, stay out of AOE, fight mobs and bosses from behind, maybe the occasional CC. The problem isn't the healer, the problem is that since WotLK when dungeons and heroics got easy (save for a short period of time in Cata), DPS generally only had to just DPS. This isn't some old-school player elitism, but when I jump into a dungeon with my friends who played the game since Vanilla and TBC, it all feels pretty natural. Having to pay attention again is actually pretty fun when you run with a crew that plays the old way. Players who got into the game from 3.x on just have to get used to using their tools and paying attention again.

I would say it's in a perfect state right now, it just takes some adjustment. Even I got a little spoiled and took a dungeon or two to get back into my old mindset.

The one thing about every healer, is they all have strengths and weaknesses. It's up to players to realize that as well. If I play with a druid and shaman, I'm usually trying to be closer to my group if possible, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Healing feels more rewarding this xpac then it ever has for me. I mained a resto druid since Cata and just switched to Resto Sham for Legion. I'm loving it.

One of the philosophy changes I have enjoyed is that DPS are responsible to know mechanics and if they don't....well, they die. I'm no longer blamed for most of the wipes.

While I agree that healing kinda feels balanced, i think the mana usage of the different healing specs is not. While the Resto Druid and the Holy Priest are oom, the Paladin is at 80% of his mana, but is in the top hps.
    It feels a little bit like cata again where the mana usage of the different healers where so unbalanced at the beginning of the expansion, but this time we will never get more mana reg to compensate for that.
    Last edited by Lykurgos; 2016-09-25 at 09:31 PM.