LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Honestly can't tell if it's a joke or not O_o
    No joke, B.C. was a dead giveaway

Honestly can't tell if it's a joke or not O_o
    It's likely completely accurate.

There SHOULD be a contract/lease. They can't break that, just as you (he) cannot. But that is only 6-12 months at most.

What is the 'equipment' exactly? I feel like this is the focus of the problem, really. And also why it keeps getting avoided.

If he thought he could just 'rent' forever, then it's his own fault, though.
    some air conditioners and other things for his green house. i forgot to mention theres a building behind the house and most of his work is setup to be home based. like bolted down and stuff. the 70k fee is more of an estimate if he were to setup shop at a different home since he cant really move many things. its all perfectly legal but anyway hes looking for legal ways that could turn a buyer off a sale. nothing illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    So, I don't buy into the idea that it's going to cost 70k to move his equipment, but your friend of a friend shouldn't be an asshole to his landlord. He made a dumb decision to invest money into a rental. Live and learn.
    hes not looking to be an asshole, for the past 3 years hes been the perfect tenant. pays his rent on time, doesnt play loud music throughout the night or have any kids that scream and yell, doesnt use loud equipment like running a chainsaw for 3-4 hours in the middle of the day, or have the cops over at all. (the house across the street has had the cops over 8x so far, no joke) (plus two instances of the cops arresting some other neighbours)
    hes rented for around 3 years now, and there hasnt been an offer on the house since. At the time he started renting, it made sense to setup his business in the building behind the house, but his business would suffer if he was to move.
    Last edited by announced; 2016-09-25 at 06:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legal or not, he's a bit of a fool to have made that kind of permanent, expensive setup in a place he knew was temporary.

Does the landlord.... know that stuff is there? Because he's going to have to pay to have it removed, or something. Or pay if he wants to keep it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Turn it into a cat house.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    hes not looking to be an asshole, for the past 3 years hes been the perfect tenant. pays his rent on time, doesnt play loud music throughout the night or have any kids that scream and yell, doesnt use loud equipment like running a chainsaw for 3-4 hours in the middle of the day, or have the cops over at all. (the house across the street has had the cops over 8x so far, no joke) (plus two instances of the cops arresting some other neighbours)
    hes rented for around 3 years now, and there hasnt been an offer on the house since. At the time he started renting, it made sense to setup his business in the building behind the house, but his business would suffer if he was to move.
    You're the one asking for ways to sabotage the home sale, so someone's being an asshole. And it never made sense to setup shop in a rental if it costs 70k to pick up and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The answer was infront of you the whole time OP.

Just tell any would be buyers the truth and nobody will want to buy/rent it ever again.
    its completely legal, i'm not sure if the owner knows though but the cops already are aware and since hes medically licensed they dont care.

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    You're the one asking for ways to sabotage the home sale, so someone's being an asshole. And it never made sense to setup shop in a rental if it costs 70k to pick up and leave.
    i'm asking if theres anything that might dissuade a buyer from purchasing a home. i'm not asking for ways to sabatoge the sale just things that might dissuade you.

Legal or not, he's a bit of a fool to have made that kind of permanent, expensive setup in a place he knew was temporary.

Does the landlord.... know that stuff is there? Because he's going to have to pay to have it removed, or something. Or pay if he wants to keep it.
    hes been there for over 3 years, when he started renovating the building behind the house 3 years ago, it seemed to make sense at the time. Real estate in BC has become stupidly overpriced, who knew that a house that was once worth 400k is now 1.2m. not being omniscient i didnt know that either.

Deleted
    i'm asking if theres anything that might dissuade a buyer from purchasing a home. i'm not asking for ways to sabatoge the sale just things that might dissuade you.
    Which implies that you want to ruin a potential deal for a landlord. Which is exactly what Biged described.
    Your friend is indeed a fool for making such an investment in a place that doesn't even belong to him. If he has a basic level of decency, he will not do anything to dissuade possible buyers of the house.

If someone commits suicide inside the house it will put some people off from buying it. But thats not worth it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Which implies that you want to ruin a potential deal for a landlord. Which is exactly what Biged described.
    Your friend is indeed a fool for making such an investment in a place that doesn't even belong to him. If he has a basic level of decency, he will not do anything to dissuade possible buyers of the house.
    hes decent he just doesnt want to move. hes lived a nice quiet life in a great neighborhood for 3 years and hes had no problems with anyone, no trouble with the law and not a single complaint.
    the house does have some shitty wiring and the pipes under the kitchen sink constantly leak so maybe that'd be enough?
    Last edited by announced; 2016-09-25 at 11:30 AM.

I have a friend of a friend who needs some suggestions. His landlord wants to sell the house that he currently rents in. The problem is my friend has bought some very nice equipment for his business and if he has to move his equipment it would cost around $70,000. My friend doesn't want to move, but he doesn't know what to do in order to delay the sale of the house. The interested buyers might be coming by in a few days to have a look at the place, and my friend was wondering if anyone has any advice on what has turned you off from buying a house?

Just for some background info he lives in BC, Canada

So does anyone have any thoughts on what stopped them from buying a house? or any things that might have happened that would cause them to change their mind?
    Please explain what equipment he has in an apartment that would cost 70k to move..

If he is growing weed then wtf was he thinking, investing that much in a rental property? If everything is legal he should look into purchasing the property himself, there might be a grant or loan program for farming (we have special loan programs in the US for purchasing rural land, for example). Otherwise he's likely SOL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Please explain what equipment he has in an apartment that would cost 70k to move..
    He's apparently growing cannabis...he could take the equipment with him but not exactly the plants, especially if it's a big grow operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    The problem is I'm not even in Vancouver, I'm in the car theft capital of Canada. I'm a bus and train ride away from Vancouver (thanks, skytrain) It takes me roughly 60 minutes to get downtown, but i happened to luck out on a major bus route that takes me to the train. Ugh, 6.00 daily if I were to cross the Port Mann bridge to get there.
    To cross into Manhattan cost 15 dollars, going up to 16 soon. 6 dollars for a major city sounds exceedingly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    To cross into Manhattan cost 15 dollars, going up to 16 soon. 6 dollars for a major city sounds exceedingly cheap.
    http://www.bcferries.com/travel_plan...res/index.html

It's not that cheap, really. If you live on the mainland, sure. If you live on Vancouver Island, the ferry commute can cost you $50 or more each way with a vehicle ($16-18 each way without) .

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    If he is growing weed then wtf was he thinking, investing that much in a rental property? If everything is legal he should look into purchasing the property himself, there might be a grant or loan program for farming (we have special loan programs in the US for purchasing rural land, for example). Otherwise he's likely SOL.

- - - Updated - - -

He's apparently growing cannabis...he could take the equipment with him but not exactly the plants, especially if it's a big grow operation.
    In an apartment?

What would put me off? Some gangster running a drug operation there, that's for sure. Second would be price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

In an apartment?
    Is he renting an apartment? I assumed it was a house with land, if he's that concerned about moving.

it's a house not an apartment. the house has a massive building behind that holds all the greenery equipment and there are air conditioners outside the building plus theres a ton of lights and plants and storage supplies food and the wiring alone is like 20k for like 6 rooms and security cameras.

it's a house not an apartment. the house has a massive building behind that holds all the greenery equipment and there are air conditioners outside the building plus theres a ton of lights and plants and storage supplies food and the wiring alone is like 20k for like 6 rooms and security cameras.
    Why would you invest all this into a property you don't own?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Pretty sure your friend can be taken to court for pulling any stunts that would compromise the legal sale of the house by the landlord.