Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    I never said anyone was trying to save her soul, i said trying to save her "life" (if it needs saving) is the same behavior of those who do try to save others souls. Its her body, its her life. If she is fine with it why can you not?
    You are aware that anorexia kills right? It's not just "being thin"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hargalaten View Post
    I guess I wonder what kind of doctor would say she's fine.
    I looked about the same a few years ago, and to be fair, by objective medical standards I was fine (except for the low weight). Like, all blood values and other physical tests said that I am, there was "nothing" wrong - physically speaking. The problem is that it usually won't last.

That can't be healthy in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    So if I saw someone slice open their wrists or do some other life-threatening form of self-harm, should I mind my own business and assume she is happy and not asking for help?

She clearly has a serious eating disorder and needs help. Would be irresponsible of people to recognize that and not at least try to motivate her to get it.
    There is a bit of a difference between some who is bleeding out and someone who may have an eating disorder. Again, the desire to help her is because you see her and think something is wrong, i must help. That is arrogance. Even more so if nothing is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    You are aware that anorexia kills right? It's not just "being thin"
    yes, im aware.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    She's yucky and likely has mental health issues.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing healthy about being that skinny.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    I never said anyone was trying to save her soul, i said trying to save her "life" (if it needs saving) is the same behavior of those who do try to save others souls. Its her body, its her life. If she is fine with it why can you not?
    Saying a mentally ill person is "fine with it" is misguided. It's really not that simple. Mental illness isn't like regular illness where people will happily go to the doctor wanting to be cured.

An anorexic will almost always defend/deny their anorexia and claim to be happy. It might be true that they're happy in a way, because the anorexia is so overbearing that the single dominating deciding factor in their happiness is whether or not they can accommodate their anorexia. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be much better off and much happier if they got help, got better and became themselves again.

Watching a mentally ill person slowly destroy themselves while telling other people to mind their own business just misguided. This isn't an appropriate scenario to signal your tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I looked about the same a few years ago, and to be fair, by objective medical standards I was fine (except for the low weight). Like, all blood values and other physical tests said that I am, there was "nothing" wrong - physically speaking. The problem is that it usually won't last.
    you can't be fine in this state, you're literally dying. the documentary i watched followed a model that fell into this, and she and doctors on it described what's happening to your organs as you do this to yourself. i can't remember the details, but it's not good.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a bit of a difference between some who is bleeding out and someone who may have an eating disorder. Again, the desire to help her is because you see her and think something is wrong, i must help. That is arrogance. Even more so if nothing is wrong.
    there's literally no fucking difference here.

both lead to death, one's just faster and less painful. it's a slow suicide.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is her life and her body, but really she resembles death. This is not being naturally skinny. This is someone that clearly has some health and/or mental issues that they are not dealing with. She is nothing more than a rack of bones and not at all attractive. It is her life, if she wants to looks like this, so be it. No need for people to shame her into eating, if anything they should be encouraging her to seek professional help before she has some serious health problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    you can't be fine in this state, you're literally dying. the documentary i watched followed a model that fell into this, and she and doctors on it described what's happening to your organs as you do this to yourself. i can't remember the details, but it's not good.
    I was this extreme for like 5 years (out of ~7-8 years eating disorder), and still came out pretty fine and healthy. And even during that time, I didn't have any medical complications (except for the obvious constant tiredness etc.).

I am not saying that it isn't extremely dangerous - because it obviously is. But it's like with a lot of other things: It can go well, it can go wrong. The longer it goes on, the more the risk of it going wrong increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Saying a mentally ill person is "fine with it" is misguided. It's really not that simple. Mental illness isn't like regular illness where people will happily go to the doctor wanting to be cured.

An anorexic will almost always defend/deny their anorexia and claim to be happy. It might be true that they're happy in a way, because the anorexia is so overbearing that the single dominating deciding factor in their happiness is whether or not they can accommodate their anorexia. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be much better off and much happier if they got help, got better and became themselves again.

Watching a mentally ill person slowly destroy themselves while telling other people to mind their own business just misguided. This isn't an appropriate scenario to signal your tolerance.
    yeah i know my opinion is unpopular thanks. Wont shut me up though, nor am i really trying to signal anything. I do not understand the need to force her to get help. Seems pointless and arrogant to me.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah i know my opinion is unpopular thanks. Wont shut me up though, nor am i really trying to signal anything. I do not understand the need to force her to get help. Seems pointless and arrogant to me.
    It's not arrogant, there's a lot of evidence showing how dangerously unhealthy it is.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Showing concern for someones health is not "shaming". She is clearly ill both physically and mentally, this is only going to end badly.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

- - - Updated - - -

there's literally no fucking difference here.

both lead to death, one's just faster and less painful. it's a slow suicide.
    I dont really have a problem with suicide /shrug life is hard and there are finite resources. Either enjoy life or get out.

That cannot be healthy...yeesh what a bone rack

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's not arrogant, there's a lot of evidence showing how dangerously unhealthy it is.
    If she dies do to not eating, are you at fault for not helping her? If so i can not relate.

Fat shaming is good, peer pressure and social censure can and does have an impact on someones willpower to change. Skinny shaming when someone is so underweight it is medically unhealthy is also good and she fits that case imo. She needs to put on some weight.

i do not think "shaming" people is very productive, there is a difference between being concerned for someone's health and simply taking an opportunity to be a bully. that said she is much thinner than any naturally skinny person i have ever seen, and may be in need of some help & support.
    someone who feels bad enough about their body to starve themselves isn't going to suddenly feel better after being "shamed."

Someone get that girl an extra-large pizza, STAT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hargalaten View Post
    Are you of the opinion that's the case with this girl for most people, or do you feel like there is a chance she is naturally skinny and perfectly healthy?
    No, obviously she has a problem. Also, obviously she is aware that she is skinny. And, obviously she doesn't feel like talking about it. So, maybe, instead of keeping poking this wound, leave her alone and enjoy her content?

It is the same as people picking on someone with a big nose at school: "Ha-ha, you have a big nose, ha-ha". Well, thanks, Sherlock, that was very helpful!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.