Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Another thread that shows no one cares about free speech when its someone they dont like.
    Your first doesn't apply at a job, especially Government ones like Public Schools. A girl can call me a bitch, fag, ect at work, but I can't make a friendly joke about her period. (recent incident, actually happened)

You're okay to stomp at that flag at work sure, but they are also well within their right to see that a fit reason to fire you. Gotta watch what you do and say at work. Especially when you're a role model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Except the teacher could have taught about American rights in any other fashion, he decided to stomp on a flag. His actions caused the students OPINION, which the school also agrees with. There is no defamation here. So quit pushing that stupid narrative.
    That "opinion" is directly against the actual events that occured, so yes, it's defamation. Having an unjustifiable opinion and posting it all over to portray someone poorly is the literal definition of defamation.

You can't just say "well, that's my opinion" and have that be a defense against a defamation charge. You have to establish that a reasonable person would hold that opinion, with the facts that you had in front of you.

And when those facts are "teacher is providing an example of the rights and freedoms protected in the USA", that conclusion cannot be that said teacher is unpatriotic or unAmerican.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-09-25 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Sounds like you need a safe space, away from anything that might offend you. Especially things like flags being stepped on!
    It doesn't really bother me, although I don't understand why you would stay in the country if you hate it so much. But, I can understand the power of symbolism- so it is obvious why some would be upset. The one thing about symbolism is that: different symbols can mean different things to different people.

To me, the flag represents the sacrifices that people have made for the freedom we enjoy (almost without even thinking about it).

When I see someone, raving mad, stopping the flag- I feel embarrassed for them. They don't really understand what the flag is about and they are celebrating their ignorance by making a spectacle of themselves. I don't have to hate on that, there is nothing i could say that could bring them down any lower than they already brought themselves.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopotamus View Post
    Your first doesn't apply at a job, especially Government ones like Public Schools. A girl can call me a bitch, fag, ect at work, but I can't make a friendly joke about her period. (recent incident, actually happened)

You're okay to stomp at that flag at work sure, but they are also well within their right to see that a fit reason to fire you. Gotta watch what you do and say at work. Especially when you're a role model.
    If only the teacher wasn't using it as a demonstration of the first amendment...

Hell the only thing I blame the teacher for is being a poor educator if his students are that inept to not know the constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Teacher was teaching a lesson on what American rights are all about.

Student posts image claiming teacher is un-American.

That's defamation. The student's claim is directly opposed to how the teacher was behaving. Like I said; it's no different than taking a picture of a teacher posting images from WWII and claiming he's a "Nazi" because you caught a pic with him next to an image of Hitler.
    Considering you kind of have to teach about the Third Reich, WWII, the Holocaust, and can't exclude Hitler from that, but you also don't have to bring in a Neo-Nazi or Nazi War Criminal for a hands-on interview. You can tell kids they have a right to stomp on the flag without doing that. This teacher obviously did it just to do it, and cover it with, "Well I was doing it to teach" No, you were doing it to indoctrinate, just like the bitch who had a bunch of 2nd-3rd graders singing "God Loves Obama" every day prior to his election.

10+ Year Old Account

lesson about the first amendment. Also plenty on this thread.... possibly the OP too (wink wink) always complain if someone loses their jobs due to free speech. I just like pointing this out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering you kind of have to teach about the Third Reich, WWII, the Holocaust, and can't exclude Hitler from that, but you also don't have to bring in a Neo-Nazi or Nazi War Criminal for a hands-on interview. You can tell kids they have a right to stomp on the flag without doing that. This teacher obviously did it just to do it, and cover it with, "Well I was doing it to teach" No, you were doing it to indoctrinate, just like the bitch who had a bunch of 2nd-3rd graders singing "God Loves Obama" every day prior to his election.
    All this is garbage. There is no "indoctrination" in providing an example of what free speech protects, particularly such an innocent and inoffensive example as stepping on a flag.

I seriously do not understand how anyone thinks that action is this wildly objectionable. It's a piece of cloth. Some of you folks wear it as underwear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes because a teacher who has noted familial ties with the US military and has no prior such indication of being anti-American or being unpatriotic, wanted to stomp on the US flag because.....? Oh right, because according to you he just felt like it. Or, try to stay with me here since I can see this is a terribly complex concept for you to grasp, he was teaching a lesson on the 1st amendment.

Now I'm just curious to see just how far your skill in reaching goes to hold the teacher complicit in silly conspiracy theories regarding "indoctrination" .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    All this is garbage. There is no "indoctrination" in providing an example of what free speech protects, particularly such an innocent and inoffensive example as stepping on a flag.

I seriously do not understand how anyone thinks that action is this wildly objectionable. It's a piece of cloth. Some of you folks wear it as underwear.
    There are also US flag print jock-straps and thongs. I don't need to mention which crevasses some of them have to be pulled out of.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've burnt two American flags but it was that or a landfill. Do I need to give them a proper burial or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    I've burnt two American flags but it was that or a landfill. Do I need to give them a proper burial or something?
    I don't know, but according to some of the posters on this forum you are literally Hitler now.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to wrap your firstborn in them along with giving them a 21-gun salute while burying it.

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    North Korea has a stellar program on mandatory love for the state, it's figures and symbols.
    I know. It is just shameful how this teacher has been imprisoned, had his property confiscated, and is awaiting a state trial for sedition........... oh wait.........that comparison doesn't work at all does it.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Personally I think the teacher is an idiot, but that being said he is still only exercising his first amendment right. I think he rightfully opens himself up to criticism, but at the same time I don't think he should get suspended or fired (at least for this incident).
    I don't even think he is exercising his first amendment right here... I don't believe he actually hates the American flag... he is just giving an example of something someone else might do.

Thanks for asking. A quick google search yields,

https://www.collinsflags.com/blog/fl...-american-flag

"The Veterans Department of Affairs suggests starting by folding the flag in a customary triangle manner. Then prepare a large enough fire space to sufficiently burn the flag completely. Next place the flag in the fire and while it burns, individuals at the ceremony should salute or recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Finally, end the ceremony with a moment of silence and bury the ashes once the flag is completely consumed."

Mind you this is in no way required by law, but it is a nice thing to do. Veterans like myself would commend you for it, unless that offends you of course, nah we'd probably still commend you anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    I know. It is just shameful how this teacher has been imprisoned, had his property confiscated, and is awaiting a state trial for sedition........... oh wait.........that comparison doesn't work at all does it.
    No, instead, in the US, the general populace enacts vigilante 'justice' on those who dare commit such an offense.

I'm sure that teacher has received a number of death threats already.

10+ Year Old Account

"The Veterans Department of Affairs suggests starting by folding the flag in a customary triangle manner. Then prepare a large enough fire space to sufficiently burn the flag completely. Next place the flag in the fire and while it burns, individuals at the ceremony should salute or recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Finally, end the ceremony with a moment of silence and bury the ashes once the flag is completely consumed."

Mind you this is in no way required by law, but it is a nice thing to do. Veterans like myself would commend you for it, unless that offends you of course, nah we'd probably still commend you anyways.
    Eh too much effort

As always, it will depend on the intention and context behind. Burning flags usually work better for foreigners, since - like it or not - the one burning it being american makes it like partially shooting yourself in the foot. Burning the flag is so broad, that it basically has to mean everything about America deserves to die. Usually it's better to target a symbol closer to the actual issue.

I've also burned tons of books, but there's a difference between that and the Nazis burning books, something we all look at in disgust (in popular culture exemplified in IJ&TLC).

10+ Year Old Account

Sod that, it's a bloody flag, just stick it in a bin and buy another one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Can you kindly stop it with this sort of communist nonsense!? Or woe to you as the eagles of freedom descend down upon you to show you the error of your ways.

But really though, that whole ritual seems uncannily similar to pagan ones that I've read about. Now that I think about it, that's how you "bury" or get rid of a Quran as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    No, instead, in the US, the general populace enacts vigilante 'justice' on those who dare commit such an offense.

I'm sure that teacher has received a number of death threats already.
    Have any of them been acted on? If not our vigilante justice amounts to a good public tongue lashing on the internet. Oh the horror!

- - - Updated - - -

Eh too much effort
    Most courtesies require effort. That's why we think highly of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You're free to do so. I'm free to do otherwise.