Thread: GPU upgrade?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GPU upgrade?

I'm the owner of a i5 2500 (on a MSI p67a-gd65 mortherboard) and a radeon 7850.

The game runs pretty well considering but I have about everything on low but I have only 30 or so fps in raids.

My plan is to get a 150-180€ gpu from a few gens back so I can run the game on medium settings or so while having great fps and also in order to have my gpu card to run completely silent (at least outside raids), since I read that fans don't spin on idle or on low usage with cards starting a couple of gens ago.

So: do you think it would be possible to have a 150-180€ gpu with that mb/cpu? (I heard an i5 2500 still performs well and spending 200euros would not be a dramatic boost).

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Also having a low power consumption gpu would be great if anyone have an advice.

First off you probably have something wrong with your rig, those numbers are too low. Its not that your video card cant handle wow, its that wow has a preference for nvidia. I have a 2500k (which you might as well, given you have a p67 board) and a gtx 760 and i get 60 fps everywhere in the game that isnt bound by the game engine or network on the 7 preset. If you wanted you could search used market for a 760/770 that is honestly all you need for WoW anything above this is diminishing returns.

As for lower power gtx 950 would be a good choice, especially for a good deal on a used or refurbished item. 1060 is honestly too much GPU for WoW i couldnt recommend it.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-09-25 at 10:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i5 2500K performs well cause you can overclock it. The i5 2500 can't, and won't. Upgrading the GPU won't do you much for WoW. You really need to upgrade the CPU before you go after a new GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    i5 2500K performs well cause you can overclock it. The i5 2500 can't, and won't. Upgrading the GPU won't do you much for WoW. You really need to upgrade the CPU before you go after a new GPU.
    Worst advice ever, please please stop. It performs well because sandy is still a solid architecture in 2016. Ive ran my 2500k at stock and couldnt notice any difference, if he cannot find what is wrong with his system GPU is absolutely the upgrade he should be doing.

OP a couple things to try would be disabling addons and running the raid again just to rule out a corrupt one, as well as wiping your drivers and reinstalling. If all else fails a system format would be a solid idea if its not too much work for you.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-09-25 at 11:12 PM.

if your looking for a good card under 200 then get the GTX 950 or wait a couple weeks and the 1050 should be out. your CPU while old is still ok for wow but I would suggest looking into upgrading to a 6th gen setup some time in the near future.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    if your looking for a good card under 200 then get the GTX 950 or wait a couple weeks and the 1050 should be out. your CPU while old is still ok for wow but I would suggest looking into upgrading to a 6th gen setup some time in the near future.
    Why? I get 60 FPS everywhere in the game with a 2500k EVEN at stock clocks. This is world of warcraft guys, sandy is more than enough for it you would be wasting your money big time if WoW is your main game. People cannot seem to grasp the dips in framerates in game are not attributed to hardware when they see them, and think throwing money at thier PC will fix it......NO that isnt the problem its the game engine/poor optimizations on the higher presets/network limitations.

My 5 year old PC will get the exact same FPS as someone with a 6950x and gtx titan in the scenarios i describe above, the point of diminishing returns start really low hardware wise. I see people with PC's that cost 3x mine say they are getting lower FPS because they refuse to NOT run on 10 preset, its just hilarious that they cant put 2 and 2 together.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    First off you probably have something wrong with your rig, those numbers are too low.
    OP a couple things to try would be disabling addons and running the raid again just to rule out a corrupt one, as well as wiping your drivers and reinstalling. If all else fails a system format would be a solid idea if its not too much work for you.
    thanks everyone for the answer. I fail to see how 30 fps in a 20 man raid environment would be anything but normal with my rig. I mean there is quite a bit of effects and character models all around during a fight.

I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by braxx View Post
    thanks everyone for the answer. I fail to see how 30 fps in a 20 man raid environment would be anything but normal with my rig. I mean there is quite a bit of effects and character models all around during a fight.

I don't understand.
    I just ran emerald nightmare on 7 preset i doubt i dipped below 60 fps vsync cap once the entire raid. My system is barely faster than yours, my gpu is on par with a 7870 only one step above your 7850, my CPU is overclocked to 4.2 but trust me that does not account for a 30 FPS difference ive tested it thoroughly (between stock and 4.2ghz i get maybe 3 fps).

I just ran emerald nightmare on 7 preset i doubt i dipped below 60 fps vsync cap once the entire raid. My system is barely faster than yours, my gpu is on par with a 7870 only one step above your 7850, my CPU is overclocked to 4.2 but trust me that does not account for a 30 FPS difference ive tested it thoroughly (between stock and 4.2ghz i get maybe 3 fps).
    are you 100% certain you have 60 fps during a raid fight?

are you 100% certain you have 60 fps during a raid fight?
    Huh? Yes i know how to press control and R lol. Seriously dude there is something wrong with your rig, if i played on low i would be getting 100 fps the entire raid (more probably). There is no way WoW likes nvidia THAT much, our systems are nearly identical in terms of power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worst advice ever, please please stop. It performs well because sandy is still a solid architecture in 2016.
    I didn't say that Sandy is bad. I said if the OP wants more performance then he should upgrade the CPU. While a stock 2500 is not a bad CPU, it will be your limit if you want better performance. If braxx buys a GTX 1060, his raids will still experience 30 fps.

I stand by my statement.
    Ive ran my 2500k at stock and couldnt notice any difference, if he cannot find what is wrong with his system GPU is absolutely the upgrade he should be doing.
    You probably won't notice going from 30 fps in raids to 40. A Haswell or Skylake will go beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I didn't say that Sandy is bad. I said if the OP wants more performance then he should upgrade the CPU. While a stock 2500 is not a bad CPU, it will be your limit if you want better performance. If braxx buys a GTX 1060, his raids will still experience 30 fps.

I stand by my statement.

You probably won't notice going from 30 fps in raids to 40. A Haswell or Skylake will go beyond that.
    What? I just ran emerald nightmare i was pegged at 60 fps vsync cap the entire raid on the 7 preset and CMAA. The only time my system dips below 60 is in super crowded areas like the legion pre patch invasions, and that has nothing to do with hardware.

There seriously needs to be a sticky at the top of this forum warning people if they spend 1500 dollars on a PC and insist on playing at max settings WoW is still gonna run like crap. Why is this so common sense to me yet no one else gets it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Just get a 1060... They are so cheap for so much power..

Quote Originally Posted by Trep View Post
    Just get a 1060... They are so cheap for so much power..
    Ya if he was playing other games for sure, but he could buy a used 950/760 etc for a lot less money and get the same experience. I havent ran with AMD GPU's in a long time so im not ruling out his 7850 is destroying his FPS here, i just find it hard to believe on low (he didnt mention what preset he is running) he is only getting 30 fps. Like i said if i was on low id literally be over 100 fps the entire emerald nightmare raid on a 760.

One thing OP, were there fire mages in your raid? I know in beta i was watching arena streams and flamestrike was destroying people's FPS i dont know if that bug has been fixed yet.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-09-25 at 11:54 PM.

Huh? Yes i know how to press control and R lol. Seriously dude there is something wrong with your rig, if i played on low i would be getting 100 fps the entire raid (more probably). There is no way WoW likes nvidia THAT much, our systems are nearly identical in terms of power.
    what's your gpu btw?

what's your gpu btw?
    Ive said that like 5 times lol, its a gtx 760 not a whole lot faster than your 7850. Two things are possible for you here, well three:

1. Something is wrong with your PC. Either you have addons that are causing this, your PC isnt configured properly (drivers etc) or you have some setting completely wrong somewhere like render scale at 400%.
    2. You ran with fire mages. Seriously, as little as 1 week before the xpac fire mages were lagging people out like crazy with flamestrike its possible this bug hasnt been fixed.
    3. Lastly its still possible AMD really is this poor in WoW, i know they underperform in blizzard games but you playing on low and only getting 30 fps sounds to me like 1 or 2 to be more likely.

Another thing could be you were bugged from alt tabbing and were stuck at 30 FPS ive seen this happen to me before. Uncheck "max background fps" under system settings if it is.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-09-26 at 12:17 AM.

Ive said that like 5 times lol, its a gtx 760 not a whole lot faster than your 7850. Two things are possible for you here, well three:

1. Something is wrong with your PC. Either you have addons that are causing this, your PC isnt configured properly (drivers etc) or you have some setting completely wrong somewhere like render scale at 400%.
    2. You ran with fire mages. Seriously, as little as 1 week before the xpac fire mages were lagging people out like crazy with flamestrike its possible this bug hasnt been fixed.
    3. Lastly its still possible AMD really is this poor in WoW, i know they underperform in blizzard games but you playing on low and only getting 30 fps sounds to me like 1 or 2 to be more likely.

Another thing could be you were bugged from alt tabbing and were stuck at 30 FPS ive seen this happen to me before. Uncheck "max background fps" under system settings if it is.
    again to be sure I'll repeat that outside raids everything runs very smooth.

again to be sure I'll repeat that outside raids everything runs very smooth.
    What exactly are your settings in game, screenshots would be helpful. Have you tried different settings?

What exactly are your settings in game, screenshots would be helpful. Have you tried different settings?
    1st preset with view distance 5, env detail and ground clutter 3, projected texturs, particle density fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? I just ran emerald nightmare i was pegged at 60 fps vsync cap the entire raid on the 7 preset and CMAA. The only time my system dips below 60 is in super crowded areas like the legion pre patch invasions, and that has nothing to do with hardware.
    Not long ago I swear there was a topic here that people debated that it's impossible for anyone to reach 60 fps in raids. Now you're telling me with your 2500k that you get 60 fps with preset 7? There was someone who did post a video showing you can, but with a modern Haswell CPU.

Also from my experience, WoW 7.0 is more demanding than WoW 6.0. I'm going to remain skeptical of your claim.
    There seriously needs to be a sticky at the top of this forum warning people if they spend 1500 dollars on a PC and insist on playing at max settings WoW is still gonna run like crap. Why is this so common sense to me yet no one else gets it?
    Except a G3258 overclocked would run WoW better than the i5 2500. I would never recommend buying a G3258, cause you couldn't play other games well. The point is a i5-2500 runs at 3.7Ghz and is 30% slower than Haswell/Skylake CPU. An i5-2500k can be overclocked to a modest 4.5Ghz, which would get braxx 40 fps. An i5-6600K with a decent overclock would easily reach over 60 fps in raids.

Upgrading the GPU... won't... change... that. Yes the 7850 is dated and something like a GTX 1060 would be an upgrade... if Brax played other games. If you wanted to run WOW at 10, yes you would need a better GPU, but you'll never go past 30fps in a raid. You can reinstall Windows, remove his mods, and tweak his settings, but he'll never go past 30. BTW 30 isn't a constant fps, because it's a game and chances are the frame rate jumps up to 40 or 50 and goes back down to 30. But yea, 30 is likely the lowest frame rate Braxx achieves.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-09-26 at 02:04 AM.