Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A First Look at the new 5-man Dungeon: Temple of Ananke

Tonight's Rift Live stream (September the 23rd) will have the Devs showing off one of the 5-man Dungeons coming in Starfall Prophecy, the Fire themed Temple of Ananke.

It will have 5 bosses and you'll be accompanied by Tasuil the Dragon, which you will know if you played through and did the story quest in the Dendrome zone from Storm Legion.

Gristlespit:

Guarding the entrance is Gristlespit, a hulking, horned monstrosity. Not the cleverest of creatures, Gristlespit has been chained to the first gate in the path to Ananke’s temple, both to guard the access and to punish him for his gluttonous love of the rotted wine of mortal blood. Proceed with caution! Only a fool would mistake his failing for weakness. Gristlespit is a powerful and vicious combatant who grows stronger with his drunken rage. Yet, it is that very rage that a clever Ascended could use against him.

Killthraxus the Imp:

Killthraxus the imp is a student of the revelations of Ananke, a fiery preacher of the Apocalyptic vision of the end of days. And it is certain that the passages he quotes from his high pulpit do soon come to pass. Brimstone rains downs and fiery corruption pours forth from the mouths of long dead seers. The congregation of the condemned land of Ashenfell immediately set upon any apostates that dare journey so far into this flaming temple. Perhaps you are strong enough to resist the plagues and misfortunes that Killthraxus calls forth from his unholy book, but if so, he will descend from his pulpit and deal with such mortal unbelievers as you in person.

Lord Draveneaux the Scalebreaker:

If you survive the rabid sermon of the imp Killthraxus, you will soon find yourself before the dreaded Lord Draveneaux, named The Scalebreaker. He leads the Alaviax of Ashenfell, once under the vicious rule of Maelforge. While they had to respect the serpent’s power, hate and fire, they will not allow themselves to be ruled by dragons again. Lord Draveneaux will see to that.

You have entered his sanctum of pain and torture, where he breaks the will of any dragon that is foolish enough to fall into his trap. Perhaps your scaled companion should have been less hasty to join you. Perhaps this fiery land has made him overconfident in his own power. If Lord Draveneaux and his dragon thralls have their way, Tasuil will become the latest addition to the loyal flight of dragons under the sway of the Alaviax devils.

Maelfernus - the Soul of a Dragon:

When the Ascended defeated the great fire dragon Maelforge in the heart of Mount Carcera, they had no idea that his soul would return to its home plane. Condemned for his sins against the cosmos, the dragon’s burning soul has already caused a rebellion in flame. Now it has been collected and prepared, ready to be bestowed upon the Beast that will lead the Apocalypse. Once released, the soul takes form as the essence of burning flame, Maelfernus, a being fated to corrupt all souls that dare face it with the searing essence of the Plane of Fire itself. Are you capable of halting the eruption of the Wanton souls, unbound by flesh, empowered by fate, or will the revelation of Ananke come to pass?

Ananke:

The pit fiend Ananke is one of the most powerful devils of Ashenfell. Cast into the Plane of Fire for her defiance of the gods, she bears a deep hatred of mortals such as you, and has long manipulated fate to ensure that the prophecy of Telara’s apocalyptic doom shall come to pass, even if she must take a direct hand in its destruction.

The stream starts at 10.30pm GMT tonight at:

https://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds
    Last edited by Slipmat; 2016-09-23 at 04:11 AM.

after watching stream

there were many missing textures, models, and achieves, in just one dungeon

was considering pre ordering, but given that is releasing in <2 months...im not sure
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    after watching stream

there were many missing textures, models, and achieves, in just one dungeon

was considering pre ordering, but given that is releasing in <2 months...im not sure
    Not to mention probably bugged to shit encounters knowing Trion. Wonder if a boss will keep despawning at launch

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Not to mention probably bugged to shit encounters knowing Trion. Wonder if a boss will keep despawning at launch
    yeah it's worrying tbh.

I was hoping they were doing less content so it would be more polished, but there is no beta to public yet, and it has only a few months left.
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone is saying mid-November because that's how 90 tokens work out (for the mounts, etc) - and due to a leaked steam date.

I'm currently a third wheel in a raid guild and enjoying it filling a spot where they're short.
    A lot of people haven't bought the expansion yet. Many "leaving game" posts.

But, seriously? Two months? I sincerely doubt that. Mid December - and if too late in December, they will hold back to early, mid January.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    But, seriously? Two months? I sincerely doubt that. Mid December - and if too late in December, they will hold back to early, mid January.
    Most companies would be happy to delay it until it was ready. Trion on the other hand have a poor track record when it comes to just rushing things out in an unfinished state. If they're planning to release it in November it's out in November with all the placeholder textures and bugs they can't fix in time included.

After briefly watching the stream, I'm going to wait and see how it plays out before I decide if I'll bother buying SFP. Based on what I saw though, it's looking like a very firm no for the time being.

Everyone is saying mid-November because that's how 90 tokens work out (for the mounts, etc) - and due to a leaked steam date.

I'm currently a third wheel in a raid guild and enjoying it filling a spot where they're short.
    A lot of people haven't bought the expansion yet. Many "leaving game" posts.

So i am guessing you are back to RIFT now. Personally I dont think they would delay itl
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    So i am guessing you are back to RIFT now. Personally I dont think they would delay itl
    Same as always - Have like 30 mmo's installed. Monitor all of them. Currently subbed to DayBreaker (4 mmo's), Wildstar, ESO. Considering buyig legion.

EDIT: and War Thunder - subbed to that always

Any single mmo is too much of a time commitment.

I want to do a 1st impression on RIFT on release.

So far, game looks like it's worse in population than ever. Like maybe 10 "hardish" core raiding guilds left. Yes, world-wide.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-09-24 at 03:28 PM.

The population as a whole is much smaller than it was. Not only in terms of how many raiding guilds there are, but I used to pull steady trade selling raiding consumables on the AH and that's more or less dried up. Entry level runes and craftables are no longer in demand which also leads to believe that there aren't that many new players who are joining and staying the distance to 65. The AH as a whole is tiny compared to what it was at the start of NT. By any statistics you can use to measure in game, the playerbase seems to be at an all time low, PvP queues take ages, LFG queues take forever even as a healer and last night I spent almost 2 hours trying to fill up a group to ROF. There just aren't enough players around for me to complete much outside of solo content or IA's anymore. It's understandable that the playerbase has shrunk from its launch figures, but this much has me worried how much longer Rift has left.

It's why the change to buy to play baffles me still - Trion are effectively removing another segment of their player base and have an already small population. If what you say is true Wocky, that people in "hardish" core guilds are also have reservations about buying SFP, then forcing such a split might send Rift into an unrecoverable death spiral.

It's an issue thats compounded by Trion struggling to attract new players to the game too, SFP has been marketed largely at their existing player base so they don't really seem all that interested in bringing new blood in for the expansion. Even this Stream, which was clearly intended as a marketing tool, has failed to hit the mark. If anything it's done more to raise red flags than calm peoples nerves.

That is why Trion NEEDS Starfall to br a polished product on release
    Diablo Bore.

That is why Trion NEEDS Starfall to br a polished product on release
    Won't be. Will be a buggy mess that hopefully finishes them off so they can finally realise they screwed up.

Watched a little bit of the last part of the stream and......OMG does this look bad.

It looks like a early access game. It confirms what I though they was doing and that's releasing one final cash grab.

I still feel within a year after this "Expansion" release they will shut Rift down. This is just fucken sad.

They are out of there dam mind if they think this is worth $40.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-09-25 at 03:06 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Watched a little bit of the last part of the stream and......OMG does this look bad.

It looks like a early access game. It confirms what I though they was doing and that's releasing one final cash grab.

I still feel within a year after this "Expansion" release they will shut Rift down. This is just fucken sad.

They are out of there dam mind if they think this is worth $40.
    The sad thing is I was considering buying it, giving RIFT one last try...

But that was just so incomplete. I cant
    Diablo Bore.

The sad thing is I was considering buying it, giving RIFT one last try...

But that was just so incomplete. I cant
    Don't get me wrong. Every game has a development phase but we are in Fall now actually and that just looked incomplete beyond belief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    If what you say is true Wocky, that people in "hardish" core guilds are also have reservations about buying SFP, then forcing such a split might send Rift into an unrecoverable death spiral.
    http://www.topofrift.com/

I'm in Harshmallows EU. I get tagged along for old content maybe once a week.

I would not describe my guild as hard core. I would, however, say that many are exceptionally skilled.

Awesome bunch, but I am NOT hardcore raid material - after 3 hours of raiding, my brain turns to mush - any time after 10pm really.

12 guilds world-wide have cleared hard content. Most of the EU guilds, are currently struggling and trying to recruit. Many "leaving game" and in-fighting due to the guilds having to carry/gear up brand new guys instead of being able to farm stuff.

Any mention of population and/or content concern/bugs gets threads shut down and posts deleted on the forums.

Sad state of affairs. This is RIFT's last ditch attempt to survive as a raiding game.
    With a 10man raid coming in the new content patch only later (probably much later), I think it will gradually become more casual focused soon.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-09-25 at 06:12 AM.

On the whole, I don't think a casual focused Rift would be such a bad thing. Wildstar put a strong emphasis on its raiding (Hardcore!) and it flopped. SWTOR has done alright since it pivoted from a raiding orentated game to a more story driven MMO. Blade and Soul has done reasonably well selling itself as a skill-based PvP MMO. Planetside 2 has done well pushing itself as being the FPS MMO. Rift is really lacking a niche to call its own, and I really don't think carving itself out a strong niche as the go-to casual MMO would be the death sentence it's portrayed as.

There seems to be less and less of a market for Hardcore raiding MMO's at the moment in general. In my opinion, a Raiding game without the rest of the MMO elements attached to it would actually work out far better than a full scale MMO these days. Scrap the leveling and the huge world and just offer players one decent sized city hub and lots of tough and interesting Co-op PvE content. Being able to go from installing to being in a raid group killing a boss in under 5 minutes would suit a lot more players than the kind of model Rift has where you need to invest lots of time and effort just to unlock raiding content to begin with.

The only MMO's that really seem to be doing alright for raiding are WoW and FFXIV. I could be wrong, it's not something I've looked into that much, but that seems to be the line people put forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    On the whole, I don't think a casual focused Rift would be such a bad thing. Wildstar put a strong emphasis on its raiding (Hardcore!) and it flopped. SWTOR has done alright since it pivoted from a raiding orentated game to a more story driven MMO. Blade and Soul has done reasonably well selling itself as a skill-based PvP MMO. Planetside 2 has done well pushing itself as being the FPS MMO. Rift is really lacking a niche to call its own, and I really don't think carving itself out a strong niche as the go-to casual MMO would be the death sentence it's portrayed as.

There seems to be less and less of a market for Hardcore raiding MMO's at the moment in general. In my opinion, a Raiding game without the rest of the MMO elements attached to it would actually work out far better than a full scale MMO these days. Scrap the leveling and the huge world and just offer players one decent sized city hub and lots of tough and interesting Co-op PvE content. Being able to go from installing to being in a raid group killing a boss in under 5 minutes would suit a lot more players than the kind of model Rift has where you need to invest lots of time and effort just to unlock raiding content to begin with.

The only MMO's that really seem to be doing alright for raiding are WoW and FFXIV. I could be wrong, it's not something I've looked into that much, but that seems to be the line people put forwards.
    FF14 does well because they tune the hard content around midcore/low hardcore levels. Anyone can do it as long as they are decent with their class and awareness. WoW has always been the king of raiding when it comes to numbers, mechanics etc.

Sad state of affairs. This is RIFT's last ditch attempt to survive as a raiding game.
    With a 10man raid coming in the new content patch only later (probably much later), I think it will gradually become more casual focused soon.
    Sadly I think the damage has already been done.

I really don't see rift getting a chance to become anything. This expansion if you want to call it that, feels like a cash grab before the final nail is put into rifts coffin.

I really enjoyed my time in rift, but it will not recover the players lost and can not keep the ones it has. I had such high respect for Trion and now they are one of my top hated company's.

I hate to see any MMO shutdown but I feel that is coming in rifts near future. Personally I give it a year after the release of this "Expansion".

The content they showed on the stream looks super early beta if not alpha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    FF14 does well because they tune the hard content around midcore/low hardcore levels. Anyone can do it as long as they are decent with their class and awareness. WoW has always been the king of raiding when it comes to numbers, mechanics etc.
    What also helps is that the FF14 team does lissen to the feedback they get. That on top of a huge Final Fantasy fallowing helps it out a lot.

IMO FF14 is the best sub MMO on the market if not outright best MMO. Hell if it had a token system like WoW I would leave wow in a heart beat and go back to FF14.

I just chose to not sub to MMO's anymore, My wow account is fully funded by tokens
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-09-26 at 02:16 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Hands up if you came here from "Recent Posts" list expecting a WoW dungeon......

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Hands up if you came here from "Recent Posts" list expecting a WoW dungeon......
    I guess you didn't notice the rift icon next to the post