Thread: GPU upgrade?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by braxx View Post
    1st preset with view distance 5, env detail and ground clutter 3, projected texturs, particle density fair.
    Yea you're looking at a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade at this point, which will likely run you 200€-250€ at the cheapest. I suggest you spend more time saving up, also a new gpu isn't going to help your fps in wow all that much, in other games it will help a great deal. I would focus on a new cpu/mobo/ram. The I5 2500 while not a bad cpu is still 2011 cpu and is at the end of it's life.

1st preset with view distance 5, env detail and ground clutter 3, projected texturs, particle density fair.
    Why do you set them individually? Just use recommened settings, for me that is the 7 preset. I use CMAA for anti alisasing i find it the best compromise for getting rid of jagged edges with the least amount of resources used.

I still believe you have something goofy going on with your system, if i lived near you id loan you my 760 just to check...do you have anyone with an nvidia card that would let you test it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Yea you're looking at a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade at this point, which will likely run you 200€-250€ at the cheapest. I suggest you spend more time saving up, also a new gpu isn't going to help your fps in wow all that much, in other games it will help a great deal. I would focus on a new cpu/mobo/ram. The I5 2500 while not a bad cpu is still 2011 cpu and is at the end of it's life.
    How in the world did you come to that conclusion? I OWN the 2500k, i can go into my bios and set it to default and not notice and performance loss in any of the games i play. I bet a 2500 will still be able to play most games on the market in 5 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Not long ago I swear there was a topic here that people debated that it's impossible for anyone to reach 60 fps in raids. Now you're telling me with your 2500k that you get 60 fps with preset 7? There was someone who did post a video showing you can, but with a modern Haswell CPU.

Also from my experience, WoW 7.0 is more demanding than WoW 6.0. I'm going to remain skeptical of your claim.

Except a G3258 overclocked would run WoW better than the i5 2500. I would never recommend buying a G3258, cause you couldn't play other games well. The point is a i5-2500 runs at 3.7Ghz and is 30% slower than Haswell/Skylake CPU. An i5-2500k can be overclocked to a modest 4.5Ghz, which would get braxx 40 fps. An i5-6600K with a decent overclock would easily reach over 60 fps in raids.

Upgrading the GPU... won't... change... that. Yes the 7850 is dated and something like a GTX 1060 would be an upgrade... if Brax played other games. If you wanted to run WOW at 10, yes you would need a better GPU, but you'll never go past 30fps in a raid. You can reinstall Windows, remove his mods, and tweak his settings, but he'll never go past 30. BTW 30 isn't a constant fps, because it's a game and chances are the frame rate jumps up to 40 or 50 and goes back down to 30. But yea, 30 is likely the lowest frame rate Braxx achieves.
    We dont know this, i havent played on an AMD gpu in quite a long time its very possible they are that bad in WoW. I know from recent benchmarks of the 1060/480 nvidia has a 30-40% lead on them in this game. As for the 60 fps raid thread that was for max settings, no one argues you cant sit at a steady 60 fps with lower settings, which my rig does quite easily on the 7 preset and CMAA.

For gaming get minimum GTX x60. You will sorry if you bougth GTX x50

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    How in the world did you come to that conclusion? I OWN the 2500k, i can go into my bios and set it to default and not notice and performance loss in any of the games i play. I bet a 2500 will still be able to play most games on the market in 5 years.
    Because Intel has come to that conclusion, Official Intel. Never said it was a bad cpu I simply stated that's it getting Long in Tooth. You can continue arguing all you like, but the OP will benefit from a overall cpu/mobo/ram upgrade more than a single gpu upgrade(especially in wow). I'm not the only one who thinks this.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-09-26 at 05:48 AM.

Because Intel has come to that conclusion, Official Intel. Never said it was a bad cpu I simply stated that's it getting Long in Tooth. You can continue arguing all you like, but the OP will benefit from a overall cpu/mobo/ram upgrade more than a single gpu upgrade(especially in wow). I'm not the only one who thinks this.
    There needs to be a facepalm emote on this forum. I really really hope you are trolling right now, so a 4960x should be upgraded right away also?

http://ark.intel.com/products/77779/...up-to-4_00-GHz

If you are trolling good on you, but to actually believe the things you type? And he does not need a CPU upgrade, what part of me having a 2500k and pegging 60 fps in emerald nightmare do you not understand? Yes im at 4.2ghz 500mhz higher than a 2500 but i would get nearly identical fps if i set it back to stock.

There needs to be a facepalm emote on this forum. I really really hope you are trolling right now, so a 4960x should be upgraded right away also?

http://ark.intel.com/products/77779/...up-to-4_00-GHz

If you are trolling good on you, but to actually believe the things you type? And he does not need a CPU upgrade, what part of me having a 2500k and pegging 60 fps in emerald nightmare do you not understand? Yes im at 4.2ghz 500mhz higher than a 2500 but i would get nearly identical fps if i set it back to stock.
    Comparing a cpu that's 2 years newer genius....on top of that you're comparing 2500 to a 4960X, also I never said you should upgrade on end of life status, you should upgrade based on the cpu being old as fuck. I'm sorry you can't afford a new processor or gaming rig...sucks to be you. I'm afraid the only one trolling here is you friend, by arguing nonsense.

What? The basis of your argument about the 2500 being end of life is that intel listed on the spec sheet "end of life" All that means is they arent producing it anymore lol. So i should upgrade my 2500k because its "old as fuck" even tho i get 60 fps in literally every game i own? What are you on about here.

What? The basis of your argument about the 2500 being end of life is that intel listed on the spec sheet "end of life" All that means is they arent producing it anymore lol. So i should upgrade my 2500k because its "old as fuck" even tho i get 60 fps in literally every game i own? What are you on about here.
    Like I said old as fuck, again never said it was bad, but you keep arguing champ

Like I said old as fuck, again never said it was bad, but you keep arguing champ
    But if it isnt bad why did you suggest above he do a full system upgrade? At least try and be consistent here bud.

But if it isnt bad why did you suggest above he do a full system upgrade? At least try and be consistent here bud.
    Here's a thought, maybe you...err sorry he can have a better set up, because he can. It's like saying "Woot! I have a million dollars I never need to make any more....". Also why not upgrade to a Skylake the IPC performance gains can only help his efforts in WoW.
    Regardless I'm done with you son.

OP go with my earlier advice.

Let's please keep the thread on topic and the discussion civil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Let's please keep the thread on topic and the discussion civil.
    Are you going to delete my posts again mythebredor? You seem to think being nice is more important than someone getting proper advice here.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a thought, maybe you...err sorry he can have a better set up, because he can. It's like saying "Woot! I have a million dollars I never need to make any more....". Also why not upgrade to a Skylake the IPC performance gains can only help his efforts in WoW.
    Regardless I'm done with you son.

OP go with my earlier advice.
    Because its a massive waste of money? Ive already broke down the reasons he could be having such low FPS, and a CPU upgrade isnt even close to why. (again it seems you are unable to grasp the fact i have an unlocked version of his EXACT same cpu and i pegged 60 fps in my emerald nightmare raid this week). I still think something is off with his system, but there is an outside chance older AMD cards simply are that bad for WoW, and if a hardware upgrade is in order GPU is FAR AND AWAY the first change he should be making, not CPU.

Why do you set them individually? Just use recommened settings, for me that is the 7 preset. I use CMAA for anti alisasing i find it the best compromise for getting rid of jagged edges with the least amount of resources used.
    I think we are not on the same page here. I use this preset because it puts very little load on my gpu so it can run both cooler but more to the point: quieter!!. I'm not ever going to use shadows or AA or any resource hog like thoses. I most likely won't enable them with my new card if it make it run hot and have its fan spin (outside of raid at least).

Also I set some settings individually because they are needed to see void zones and things like that.
    But thanks for the answers though.

Also I'm not getting rid of my i5 2500 because some other guy in the internet want me to have the same processor as him.

10+ Year Old Account
    We dont know this, i havent played on an AMD gpu in quite a long time its very possible they are that bad in WoW.
    As a owner of a 7850 I can tell you that AMD works fine in WoW as i use preset 7 as well. I also use a FX 8350 as a CPU and get 30 fps in raids.
    I know from recent benchmarks of the 1060/480 nvidia has a 30-40% lead on them in this game. As for the 60 fps raid thread that was for max settings, no one argues you cant sit at a steady 60 fps with lower settings, which my rig does quite easily on the 7 preset and CMAA.
    WoW benchmarking is all about taking a flight path. If you have a fairly modern PC, you'll get over 100 fps doing this. But in a raid this doesn't matter, as the CPU quickly becomes the limit. So a RX 480 which gets 100 fps in a flight path vs a GTX 1060 which gets 150 fps, will both hit 30 fps in a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Your CPU is quite fine. Clueless people think that WoW is only CPU based but good luck with that if you have 70$ GPU and expect amazing results. It is totally different thing if you want to be able to stream, do video rendering and editing while playing WoW.
    That's beyond just playing the game. For the most part a GTX 750 Ti is fine, but nowadays a GTX 960 or RX 460 is overkill for WoW.

Also I'm not getting rid of my i5 2500 because some other guy in the internet want me to have the same processor as him.
    I have a FX 8350, and I certainly don't want you to have the same CPU as me. I also have a 7850 and get 30 fps in raids with preset 7. You could make sure the CPU is not being throttled due to overheating, but that's about it. A newer faster GPU won't fix your low fps in raids. You can try to buy a 2500k and overclock it for a decent performance boost, that in my opinion is a waste of money. Get an i5 Haswell or Skylake K-part CPU first before touching the GPU. Once you upgrade the CPU then your GPU will be holding you back. Then you can upgrade the GPU.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-09-26 at 07:25 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, that is what I meant by totally different thing. And you are right, GTX 750Ti is fine for most part and rest is overkill.
    One problem with the 750ti. At launch it performed similar to the 7850, the 7850 was ever so slightly ahead. Chances are, at the present the 7850 is quite a bit ahead of the 750 ti.

It would be more of a down/sidegrade than a real upgrade.

15+ Year Old Account
    Shit Im going to get popcorn...brb

Infracted - Mythbredor
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-09-27 at 03:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is probably true as well. I can't confirm because I dont have Radeon cards.
    I play the game with a 7850 and it works well so long as you don't touch the AA options much. The 7850 starts to drop in fps when you crank up that AA. Everything else has a very minor effect to the games performance with the exception of shadows. I play with a custom setup, with only 2X MSAA or FXAA and I crank the texture and view settings higher or max.