Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It does worry me somewhat that Youtube allows stuff like this. I mean if people walked into a public library and put some books on the shelves of the educational section full of nonsense that would only serve to give people misinformation, then those books would be removed.

Over the years the amount of nonsense on the internet has grown and grown and grown, and the amount of people believing/spreading it has increased and increased, this is why you get the "OMG jet fuel can melt steel beams derp" and "chemtrailz is reel!" idiots. I think it's about time a stance was taken against the deliberate spreading of anti-science before we end up living in an idiocracy just because the intelligent people have learnt nonsense.

I managed to get through just under 2 minutes of the '200 proofs earth is not a spinning ball' video before I had to go and lie down.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Would you have an objection with these videos being labeled or indicated as "misinformation" ?

Technically that doesn't violate free speech principles, nor does it censor.
    I actually would cause that would mean the website is not taking a neutral stand which is should imo.

its up to us to decide if its misinformation not the host website unless that host website makes it perfectly clear they pursue an agenda.

Deleted
    It always surprises me how quick people are to call for the censorship/removal of things that they do not like. While it somewhat makes sense if you're talking about facts i.e. 2 + 2 = 4 you're looking at things that aren't as straight forward. Where do you draw the line between what is acceptable and not? When 2 things seem plausible is it fine to ban one of them? What if one is a lot more likely to be correct than the other?

While YouTube can ban whatever they want however they want asking for them to ban something means you didn't really think about how that should be done i.e. what ruleset should be used to deem something beyond stupid.

--Other bullshit--
    What do we do with more sensitive topics then? What about religion? While to me it seems reasonable to ban/label that as misinformation i doubt that a lot of people would be happy about that.
    Last edited by mmoc46a51814a6; 2016-09-26 at 09:39 AM.

i'd love to send the flat earth tards up in a rocket and watch them try to get their head around it actually not being flat

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AnoExpress View Post
    It always surprises me how quick people are to call for the censorship/removal of things that they do not like. While it somewhat makes sense if you're talking about facts i.e. 2 + 2 = 4 you're looking at things that aren't as straight forward. Where do you draw the line between what is acceptable and not? When 2 things seem plausible is it fine to ban one of them? What if one is a lot more likely to be correct than the other?

While YouTube can ban whatever they want however they want asking for them to ban something means you didn't really think about how that should be done i.e. what ruleset should be used to deem something beyond stupid.
    Lets try because while people are entitled to their opinion spreading it around like fact can get other people into bother...like saying vaccines are bad

banning it will have the opposite result of what you are hoping for. it will actualy give those theories legitimacy as contrary as it sounds. in minds of a lot of people ban = they are afraid of the truth getting out. instead of banning silliness, better to just make counter videos which prove these false.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Renamename View Post
    I actually would cause that would mean the website is not taking a neutral stand which is should imo.
    No it absolutely should not.

When something is presented as educational information there should always be disclaimers if it is not the accepted truth. I.E in school we learned about scientifically proven facts but we were also taught that there were some people out there who believed it was magic/etc, it was made quite clear who was accepted by academics/scholars to be correct.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    i'd love to send the flat earth tards up in a rocket and watch them try to get their head around it actually not being flat
    It wouldn't work, people don't believe in flat Earth, 9/11 conspiracy's, chem-trails, faked moon landings, etc because they don't understand the facts or haven't been presented with them, they believe them because deep down they want too and no amount of factual information or truth will convince them otherwise. You could have Stephen Hawking personally deliver a speech to them outlining everything and their mind will still choose to ignore it because of blatantly photoshopped image X.

I once succeeded in getting a chem-trail nut to admit that the basic premise was scientifically impossible, only for him to immediately decide that the government must have some secret technology that they are keeping from the public lol.

I came here to say how stupid this suggestion is and how it's impossible to define "insane", but I see there are still people with some common sense left in them who already did that.
    You may now kiss the ring.

The thing is who gets to decide what is fact and what is clearly misinformation?

To me websites should be neutral unless they specifically say they have a political agenda where they can say what is fact and what isnt.

Lets be real a fucking nursury child can see that these flat earth people are stupid you dont need to have youtube slap the words Misinformation on it.

I mean should MMO champ have the words 'This thread is full of BS Misinformation' When ever a stupid thread pops up?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Lets try because while people are entitled to their opinion spreading it around like fact can get other people into bother...like saying vaccines are bad
    Who decides what are facts and what aren't? How do you deal with cases where instead of having something based on facts it's based on belief/hope? What about things that look at statistics from a different perspective to get to a conclusion?

Let me give you a good piece of advice on life, that should not only make your life easier, but potentially someone else's too

Whatever you see, whatever exists, whatever people do.....UNLESS they are impacting someone in a negative way, it's alright. Let it be. No matter how stupid it might seem to you.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ignore them. There are worst things to worry about...like reaction videos. :P

Censorship is never a valid option combat it other ways if there is any.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Ignore them. There are worst things to worry about...like reaction videos. :P
    What about videos where someone reacts to these insane videos?

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Oh my.
    BAN HAMMER, ACTIVATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    If stupid videos offered on the front page, then it is because you look them or related contents up more often than other contents.
    Not really, no. I get all sorts of ridiculous recommendations when all I view for the most part is music and videogame videos.

"Oh, you watched a video about Smash 4? Here's a video about some disgusting insect crap!"

Their algorithm is pretty fucked up. I just ended up setting my YouTube bookmark to bring me to my subscription page, instead of the front page.

Deleted
    no.
    There needs to be a place I can get access to random stupid shit on the interwebs so I can laugh at how dumb they are.
    why do you think I come here ? <--- This is sarcasm btw

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Not really, no. I get all sorts of ridiculous recommendations when all I view for the most part is music and videogame videos.

"Oh, you watched a video about Smash 4? Here's a video about some disgusting insect crap!"

Their algorithm is pretty fucked up. I just ended up setting my YouTube bookmark to bring me to my subscription page, instead of the front page.
    Was it videos about smashing 4 insects?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Were those not licensed by that guy and his lama?
    How about videos reacting to how others reacted to these videos?

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how many people would be left on Earth if everyone that denies science or has other abusrb ideas about the universe would die.

People are becoming increasingly stupid and technology only aids humanity with destroying itself.
    Statix will suffice.