Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Competetive, "It's just a game"

Does anyone else really hate this phrase? Every single time I have seen it said in this game it is always someone that is performing really bad.

It's just a game.

Yeah, so is that some kind of excuse to not put your best into it? Do they not realize that they are wasting other peoples time? If they had done the same when playing football with friends in school, perform bad and then say "It's just a game" then they probably wouldn't be allowed to join them any more after that.

i despise that phrase.

Everyone already knows its a game. All saying that does is throw the discussion aside, which is especially bad when you were trying to discuss a new strategy or point out an error in the current strategy, or a poor decision, that needs to be adjusted.

Those are the only times ive seen it brought up, and its the equivalent of saying "whatever" in an argument. it contributes nothing and at worst, sabotages the process of gameplay.

There is another time it gets brought up, usually when people are making terrible comps in HoTs or OW and they say "its just a game".

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the phrase too, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're not trying. If they're just trying to calm down idiots who scream and yell or type insane shit into chat, then whatever.

Even in Quick Play, I expect people to TRY. But it depends on context, like a lot of things, to determine if they're being a douche about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can understand it in QP. QP is for dicking around, learning new heroes, or just having fun. Comp however is for when you want to do your best, and you should be able to expect the same from others

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I can understand it in QP. QP is for dicking around, learning new heroes, or just having fun. Comp however is for when you want to do your best, and you should be able to expect the same from others
    Problem also lies with how some of the dicking around doesn't make you always lose resulting that person thinking that it actually works.

15+ Year Old Account
    In competitive it's almost as obnoxious as "gg ez".
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    I use that phrase when people start overreacting to the point of ruining the mood of everyone involved just to make people come to their senses a little bit, but yeah. Saying "It's just a game" to excuse everything in a game mode that is specifically made to be competitive and more or less non-casual is just stupid.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2016-10-06 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Especially if that ''EZ"' was hard battle that went into overtime

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the worst phrase used in this game and it makes me heavily dislike the Overwatch community.

Talk about being "competitive" is way worse than "it's just a game". Besides, the latter carries a certain wisdom that apparently some people are oblivious to.

Even if you're "competitive" - it's still just a game. Being over-invested, having anger management issues and not being able to draw a line has nothing to do with a competitive mindset, it's being an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Talk about being "competitive" is way worse than "it's just a game". Besides, the latter carries a certain wisdom that apparently some people are oblivious to.

Even if you're "competitive" - it's still just a game. Being over-invested, having anger management issues and not being able to draw a line has nothing to do with a competitive mindset, it's being an idiot.
    Still doesn't change that it's a stupid phrase that will only make people even more frustrated with you. If you use the competitive mode in a game then you are playing for competition, there is nothing "competitive" about it.

You mean not being able to draw the same line as you or investing more into it than you? Yeah, how dare they! It's just a game afterall. How dare they getting frustrated because someone else isn't keeping up and they shrug it off with "it's just a game" instead of trying better or getting out of competitive matches alltogether. Quick Play is right around the corner if you aren't competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    You mean not being able to draw the same line as you or investing more into it than you? Yeah, how dare they! It's just a game afterall. How dare they getting frustrated because someone else isn't keeping up and they shrug it off with "it's just a game" instead of trying better or getting out of competitive matches alltogether. Quick Play is right around the corner if you aren't competitive.
    Stop crying. No, I mean the threshold of being an idiot. If you lose your game and then start acting as if someone crashed into your car, that's where you're crossing the line.

As I said: it doesn't matter if you're being "competitive", it's still a game. There's a big difference about taking your performance seriously and taking it too seriously. Ultimately, it's all just a question of personal maturity.

15+ Year Old Account
    Stop crying. No, I mean the threshold of being an idiot. If you lose your game and then start acting as if someone crashed into your car, that's where you're crossing the line.

As I said: it doesn't matter if you're being "competitive", it's still a game. There's a big difference about taking your performance seriously and taking it too seriously. Ultimately, it's all just a question of personal maturity.
    So what's more mature:
    - Dicking around and wasting five other peoples time and effort then shrug it off with "it's just a game".
    - Being annoyed that someone else is wasting the time that yous - and four other people - have invested in this game because you enjoy fair, competitive play?
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Problem also lies with how some of the dicking around doesn't make you always lose resulting that person thinking that it actually works.
    Hmm, that's true.. Sometimes you get lucky with a really dumb comp and people think it works, which could lead to people doing it in comp..

But most of my dicking around is done in a full premade, and obviously wrong things like Mercy dps

So what's more mature:
    - Dicking around and wasting five other peoples time and effort then shrug it off with "it's just a game".
    - Being annoyed that someone else is wasting the time that yous - and four other people - have invested in this game because you enjoy fair, competitive play?
    Probably the dicking around, because that person at least isn't losing their shit over something that really isn't much of a serious matter.

7+ Year Old Account
    i hate it.
    always hated it.
    and will always hate it.

so what if its just a game? its still competitive and we want to win and get our ranks up.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably the dicking around, because that person at least isn't losing their shit over something that really isn't much of a serious matter.
    what? so the guy who ruins the fun of the other 5 people who simply want to have a nice, good, fair match is more mature?
    are you serious?

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kits View Post
    Does anyone else really hate this phrase? Every single time I have seen it said in this game it is always someone that is performing really bad.

It's just a game.

Yeah, so is that some kind of excuse to not put your best into it? Do they not realize that they are wasting other peoples time? If they had done the same when playing football with friends in school, perform bad and then say "It's just a game" then they probably wouldn't be allowed to join them any more after that.
    I can never understand players who say stuff like "I'm not trying".. I literally only ever try my ass off in games, I honestly don't understand how you "not try"? Like do you stop aiming mid way through a fight?

Either way it's annoying af when people say stuff like that. If you're not playing to win, just play quick match. Competitive is for y'know... competing.

7+ Year Old Account
    tbf, the phrase can be used differently, depends on the situation and what the person means with it.
    like saying it to calm down raging asshole.

its mostly used as an excuse for shitty play tho, and that is just absolute bullshit.

Formerly known as Arafal

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if serious.

There's a difference between being annoyed someone is wasting your time (and commenting as to such displeasure) and raging about it.

I never mentioned "losing of shit", only people being rightfully upset that someone is deliberately not playing in the spirit of good sport and ruining the fun for a larger group of other people.

Deleted

you seem to value your time way less than some of us do