Thread: SEF vs Serenity

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

SEF vs Serenity

I play been playing around with both builds really, and both seem to been very well dps wise.

SEF pulls ahead of trash/aoe cleave

Serenity pulls ahead on single target boss fights?

Is this corrent or is SEF better altogether? As most monks are running with that

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckk View Post
    I play been playing around with both builds really, and both seem to been very well dps wise.

SEF pulls ahead of trash/aoe cleave

Serenity pulls ahead on single target boss fights?

Is this corrent or is SEF better altogether? As most monks are running with that
    Serenity can be better in all situations if you know how to play it perfectly but is very punishing for mistakes and has almost no margin for error. In general SEF/WDP is much more forgiving and easier to use so will be more DPS for the majority of players.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    Serenity can be better in all situations if you know how to play it perfectly but is very punishing for mistakes and has almost no margin for error. In general SEF/WDP is much more forgiving and easier to use so will be more DPS for the majority of players.
    Bab i see that you are running power strikes and serenity currently. I thought EE was better than power strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannzo View Post
    Bab i see that you are running power strikes and serenity currently. I thought EE was better than power strikes?
    Power Strikes just feels better to me, idk about him.

From raiding yday I got a feeling Serenity is better for single target Raid boss kind of gameplay, im rocking SEF everywhere else

I use Serenity, far better for PvP and single target.

SEF has a massive advantage for AoE with Spinning Crane Kick, you do sick damage with it.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've tried EE but I found that I sit on it too much so I'm running PS until I have more time to practice EE.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

I've tried EE but I found that I sit on it too much so I'm running PS until I have more time to practice EE.
    Totally makes sense and i often do the same thing. I am also playing with Serenity at the moment and I find that its incredibly hard to line up the ideal scenario where you have both FOF and SOTW under 15 seconds with one global inbetween so you can get sotw off. I understand that Serenity has a pretty high skill cap to use correctly and maybe i just need more practice but do you find that its hard to line up the usage of Serenity with the two big cooldown's at appropriate markers without sitting on serenity for too long?

7+ Year Old Account
    Totally makes sense and i often do the same thing. I am also playing with Serenity at the moment and I find that its incredibly hard to line up the ideal scenario where you have both FOF and SOTW under 15 seconds with one global inbetween so you can get sotw off. I understand that Serenity has a pretty high skill cap to use correctly and maybe i just need more practice but do you find that its hard to line up the usage of Serenity with the two big cooldown's at appropriate markers without sitting on serenity for too long?
    Serenity has the potential for better dps but is harder to get down pat every time. Does haste make it easier?

EE provides flat out more chi per minute but it does have the draw back of chi starvation between uses which means greater chi management is required particularly for FoF. If you had the legendary that makes FoF 1 chi I could see EE not having that feeling of chi starvation and wouldn't require that extra planning for FoF. My main gripe with EE is that it doesn't necessarily provide the chi when you need it. For a fight where you have that one moment every minute where you need it (basically for SCK) it's amazing but fights generally aren't built that way.

Has anyone use Serenity and EE together successfully? How to maximise both cd together when both abilities are off cooldown?

Basically unless you can go “oh, this would be perfect for Serenity, and I know exactly how to use it.” then go with Whirling Dragon Punch. If you need the WHEN, HOW, or WHY answered for you, then don’t use Serenity.

Deleted
    Im playing Serenity for single Target and SOF for AOE/Cleave

With my current gear and while Bloodlust is active, im able to use FOF twice within the duration of Serenity. I start with FOF , SOTW , RSK , Chiwave (with BL a second FOF).
    If u prepot in this situation its a huge amount of burst dmg and u can use ur best DPS Ability three Times within ~20 Seconds plus the reduced CD of SOTW , RSK and Wave. If u consider the stong Artefact-Traids and Relicts for FOF its prob the best way for Single Target DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Feratrix View Post
    Im playing Serenity for single Target and SOF for AOE/Cleave

With my current gear and while Bloodlust is active, im able to use FOF twice within the duration of Serenity. I start with FOF , SOTW , RSK , Chiwave (with BL a second FOF).
    If u prepot in this situation its a huge amount of burst dmg and u can use ur best DPS Ability three Times within ~20 Seconds plus the reduced CD of SOTW , RSK and Wave. If u consider the stong Artefact-Traids and Relicts for FOF its prob the best way for Single Target DPS
    It's actually not possible to get 2 full fofs in a serenity unless you stack haste and globals don't exist.

Another issue regarding serenity vs SEF is that the potion of old war suck balls with SEF. I am running SEF on all encounters because I got the Legendary bracers that increase the duration and I am used to it, plus I love Whirling Dragon Punch so much, but I am pretty sure I would get better results using Serenity regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethorian View Post
    Another issue regarding serenity vs SEF is that the potion of old war suck balls with SEF. I am running SEF on all encounters because I got the Legendary bracers that increase the duration and I am used to it, plus I love Whirling Dragon Punch so much, but I am pretty sure I would get better results using Serenity regardless.
    You should use the potion while You are not in SEF.

I am a menace to my own destiny.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwell View Post
    It's actually not possible to get 2 full fofs in a serenity unless you stack haste and globals don't exist.
    Sure, not full duration. But its possible to get off the first Hit of a second FOF in a serenity for the reduced CD. And as i said: only during Bloodlust

Quote Originally Posted by Feratrix View Post
    Sure, not full duration. But its possible to get off the first Hit of a second FOF in a serenity for the reduced CD. And as i said: only during Bloodlust
    Unless the boss is glued to the floor and absolutely no mechanics are going to to move you from the boss or knock you back, it's still highly improbable. You probably have to clip the first FoF be even then there's less than a second to start the channel of the last FoF if that(depending on haste) and we aren't robots, there are ways to get full use of serenity without praying to the overlords.

i dont think serenity is better than sef in mythic+ IMO

two charges is too valuable and the fast stacking of sck
    No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

Deleted
    i see alot of people saying this, do you have a writeup somewhere about how to use serenity perfectly?