Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Every time I try healing I wonder why anyone enjoys playing that role.
    It is pure stress. If things were laid back a little and I had time to breath a little I would play healers more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekkers View Post
    It is pure stress. If things were laid back a little and I had time to breath a little I would play healers more.
    I only heal for guildmates who I know aren't going to take extra damage. I would never heal a pug.

Deleted
    Well I think I am a quite experienced healer, started raiding in BC, done all WOTLK raids,etc. I quite agree with the OP as my first runs, even in normal dungeons, was totally stressful, you know the DH tank cliche, that pull all the packs, that do not wait you to restore some mana, and who ask you if you can heal a bit more, with some ^^ to tell you he is very comprehensive with you . I would add that the groups with 3 melee dps is quite frequent now, and aoe damages are targetting easily all the melee group...Honnestly I wonder how on earth you can start healing with this xpack ? I mean the guy that would start with no addon, try to manage things. I understand that a raid is stressful, raids should be, they should give you the healing thrill, but dungeons...

That stress does not bother me. My issue is when a DPS die, for whatever reason, are the "No healz", "Wheres is my healz" comment. Does not always happen but I hate it when it does. I really rather not deal with it.

I am not "God". I cannot, may not, be able to keep everyone alive if some happens.

People in forums keep saying they want harder dungeon. Yet when they are in the dungeon, they treat it like a tank n spank rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Einzweidrei View Post
    You're only ever 1 GCD from failure, it feels like.

Spam your fastest heals on the tank. Panic while you watch hp bars at 10% while you try to cast that ae heal that takes a nearly-endless 1.85 seconds to finish. Struggle against mechanics that force movement while also dealing tons of damage. Try to sneak in 4 seconds of a mage biscuit between pulls since there's no such thing as mana conservation in dungeons and you know you'll need a bunch of mana for the next fight that the tank and dps have already started 65 yards ahead of you since they have no direct incentive to slow down as long as youre willing to bust your ass to keep them alive.

I feel like Dagny Taggart and Hank Reardon in every mythic (and especially mythic+) I run, burning my candle at both ends to let the other 4 people in the group play exactly the way they want to and not a bit differently, secure in the knowledge that they can probably get away with blaming the healer if anyone dies even if it was their tunnelvision on meters and a timer that truly caused the deaths.

Why does it have to be like this? What ever happened to those times Blizzard said they were going to boost hp pools relative to damage coming in so that a player PVPing can't die in a stun lock to another single player, or a tank can't be dropped in 3 seconds from full? To them saying they didn't want content to be just a mad spam of the most powerful spells? To the days when tanks had aggro to worry about so they couldn't just facepull 3 trash packs at once to be AEed down? To the days when DPS, too, could oom or pull threat if they weren't at least a little careful?

Or am I just bad and/or playing with bads?

Why can't we have more to think about but less to frantically mash our way through? Why can't a DPS failing a mechanic stick that dps with a big damage debuff and some damage instead of just a ridiculous amount of damage for the healer to deal with? Etc.
    And all of this is the fun of beign healer . If you dont loose that 1 GCD you are the boss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    That stress does not bother me. My issue is when a DPS die, for whatever reason, are the "No healz", "Wheres is my healz" comment. Does not always happen but I hate it when it does. I really rather not deal with it.

I am not "God". I cannot, may not, be able to keep everyone alive if some happens.

People in forums keep saying they want harder dungeon. Yet when they are in the dungeon, they treat it like a tank n spank rush.
    you just say "The tank is more important than you"

Couple quick replies:

I don't suggest that healing become boring because it is too easy. I want healing to be a challenge more because it is a challenge in the first place and less because of your group mates messing things up. Currently when tanks fail to mitigate well, the healers are left trying to pick up the slack. When a dps stands in something or doesn't interrupt, the healer had to try to make up for it. When either a tank or a dps OR a healer screws up, it is only up to the healer to salvage things. But as long as a healer can possibly keep people alive through their own mistakes, things continue on. Maybe people give the healer a compliment, but more likely (even in guild groups) everyone just blasts onwards because they expect healers to have to basically save the day every single fight.

Compare that to a tank owning his job: the healer notices he takes no damage and praises him. Dps: everyone sees their meters or notices the interrupts. But there's no room for a healer to really experience a epic fight because any time a healer isn't at max capacity, people die. Every fight needs to be balls to the wall, fast, ooming, blowing CDs.

I think bigger player hp pools + mechanics that are designed to directly annoy the player who fails them AND the healer (instead of just the healer like now) would be awesome. Tanks getting stunned by massive blows if they don't mitigate, or pacified if they dont position, or stuff like that... AND taking damage still. DPS getting slowed and stunned and feared when they fail mechanics... AND taking damage. Healers still need to heal, but their job is somewhat less variable because it's less reliant on allies always doing the right thing, and it's less "omgomgomg he's gonna die WE'RE ALL GONNA DIEEE" because you have a bit more buffer thanks to bigger player hp pools.

Currently even the mechanics that are supposed to be concerns for tanks (big hits, tank swaps, stacking debuff, etc) or for dps (burning a high damage add, interrupting nasty abilities, moving out of stuff)? When those are failed, they demand more from the healer and only penalize the person who actually failed if the group wipes. Tanks can't make up for botching a mechanic. Dps can't make up for botching a mechanic. Heals have to.

I don't want healing to be boring or easy, but I think some changes besides "git gud" or "only play with great players" could go a long ways to make healing more rewarding and to make the other roles more accountable for their play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    So you think the solution to bad play is to change the game? You think they should, via game design, make it so it doesn't matter if you play badly? Wouldn't that just be a Facebook game at that point?
    I think that the game should directly penalize bad play, instead of putting the load on the healer's shoulders. I'm not changing the game to cater to bad play, like you seem to be suggesting. The game caters to bad play right now by only punishing it when the healer is overwhelmed.

What's wrong with holding tanks and dps directly responsible for most of their fails instead of only for the ocassional true 1-shot mechanics that are visible enough that everyone notices when someone fails to it?
    Last edited by Einzweidrei; 2016-09-26 at 08:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Einzweidrei View Post
    Why can't a DPS failing a mechanic stick that dps with a big damage debuff and some damage instead of just a ridiculous amount of damage for the healer to deal with? Etc.
    Semi-offtopic, but i've been thinking this for years. Seriously, if people would get like stacking 5% loot-drop-chance-reduction every time they fail some mechanic, even LFR would soon be enjoyable. And if they would afk, they would get no loot/achievement/whatever. I know i'm just a mediocre player, but i fucking hate people who slack off too much or intentionally make ie. dungeon run harder for other people just because they are too lazy or stupid themselves.

nature of the beast, not much you can do about it.

sounds like healing is not for you

Deleted
    Eat some of my cookies also i do avoid fire etc to help you guise out. Healers deserve respect.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have raided across the various xpac's as all roles (tank/dps/heals), I am currently healing as I spent the last 3 xpac's as dps and just got sick of the epeen. If I am a dps, I need to be at the top. That's my goal. You get your rotation down pat, and just rinse repeat mechanics/rotation. Boring.

As a healer however no 2 fights are really the same, different groups have different bads I have to save. Whether I am on top of the healing metres or not doesn't matter.

If you are 1 GCD between losing a member of your party then you or they are doing something wrong. Gear makes this SOOO much easier. I barely heal in Mythic's at 853 iLvl. Mostly trying to stay above 70k dps. In heroics I don't heal outside of HoTs and just focus on my dps. Gear makes healing less stressful, and good groups make it a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Thra View Post
    I barely heal in Mythic's at 853 iLvl
    That's because 853 ilvl is far above par for basic mythics.

Its like saying "mage dps isn't an issue, because they can oneshot everything in Ulduar". Obviously if your group completely outgears the content, it will be easy to heal. The issue comes up when your gear reaches the par value for the content.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    That's because 853 ilvl is far above par for basic mythics.

Its like saying "mage dps isn't an issue, because they can oneshot everything in Ulduar". Obviously if your group completely outgears the content, it will be easy to heal. The issue comes up when your gear reaches the par value for the content.
    Hence why I stated:

Gear makes this SOOO much easier.
    and:

Gear makes healing less stressful, and good groups make it a breeze.
    Even when I was healing heroics at 795 iLvl, I never had moments of 1 GCD meaning someone died.

Hence why I stated:

and:

Even when I was healing heroics at 795 iLvl, I never had moments of 1 GCD meaning someone died.
    Oh even with nearly as strong ear as your char, my resto shaman can get groups where i struggle a lot. (tanks not using their active migitation at all, warrie running around with full ragebar all the time and masspulling as if he was a pro), goodluck healing that shit that happens , and it happens mostly when random queuing on a sunday afternoon.

I have had heroics where i struggled more than on mythic +4 runs this week.

Blizzard needs to take the direction they did with tanks and make healers easier and/or more appealing to the masses. As it is I'm already seeing lots of premades looking for hours for healers and lfd waiting forever to fill a healer slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    Oh even with nearly as strong ear as your char, my resto shaman can get groups where i struggle a lot. (tanks not using their active migitation at all, warrie running around with full ragebar all the time and masspulling as if he was a pro), goodluck healing that shit that happens , and it happens mostly when random queuing on a sunday afternoon.

I have had heroics where i struggled more than on mythic +4 runs this week.
    I have been lucky that my guild makes their own groups frequently, however I do jump into heroics whenever I see a Call to Arms for bonus AP, but I am generally tanking those. I have not seen many bad groups. Either way, I still don't find it stressful. If the group is really really bad, leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Blizzard needs to take the direction they did with tanks and make healers easier and/or more appealing to the masses. As it is I'm already seeing lots of premades looking for hours for healers and lfd waiting forever to fill a healer slot.
    Works out ok for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I will heal again when dps makes my life easier. Till then I main dps in LFR now. I don't mind the wait. At least I don't have to be the one to be stressful when bad dps die becasue they fail. I help Off heal from time to time and save a wipe a few times (pally LoH).

Deleted
    Healing would be much better, if it relied just as much on debuffs, buffs and other mechanics to give healers something to think about rather than just spamming spells.

Right now tanks sorta have that, they decide whether they want to mitigate physical or magical damage, a good tank will nail this more often than bad ones. They could even make it elements based. Imagine as a healer throwing a spell to combat fire for 3 seconds just as the tank is hit by a giant Pyroblast and takes almost no damage, as opposed to losing half his health. That would be very satisfying and i think it would engage healers with the mobs and bosses to a greater degree, than just filling up bars.

Healing feels like you are a parent, who is there so the kids can have fun.

also worth mentioning that 90% of the debuffs put on the group only punish the healer...
    ticking poision/magic takes XK per sec
    or incoming heals reduced by X%
    or healing done reduce by X%

instead need more mechanics that reduce damage dealt or attack/cast speed/haste/crit that punish everyone

Deleted
    If you don't like healing, just don't play it.

What do you want, jus to casually throw in some hots and call it a day, still grabbing all that fat loot for doing almost nothing? Healing is fine the way it is. Haven't had so much fun on my holy for years.