Computer restarting in intensive games

Here's an interesting situation, my cousin's computer is restarting when playing more intensive games and I have to deal with it. It won't crash in something like LoL but 15-30 minutes of Warframe or Witcher 2 for example will make it restart.

He believed it's the psu but I sent that to warranty and it came back and it's still doing it and I'd really want to solve this fast.

The computer has:

CPU: i3-4330
    Mobo: Asus HB1M
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr OC 2GB DDR5 256-bit
    HDD: Caviar Blue 1TB(not new)
    PSU: Corsair VS550

I didn't see anything relevant in the windows crash report thingie.

What's the next step? Re-cable everything inside? Buy a new psu?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    Here's an interesting situation, my cousin's computer is restarting when playing more intensive games and I have to deal with it. It won't crash in something like LoL but 15-30 minutes of Warframe or Witcher 2 for example will make it restart.

He believed it's the psu but I sent that to warranty and it came back and it's still doing it and I'd really want to solve this fast.

The computer has:

I have seen the same problem on intensive games with PSU failure twice in the past.
    It doesn't necessarily fail when playing in normal modes, so you don't get that hint for the PSU, but when GPU etc demand more power PSU fail to deliver and that's when PC goes on shutdown and restart.

Have a look at it before start going deeper in the mobo issues.
    Reckoning Bomb - Unleashes the Reckoning upon the Scourge, inflicting ridiculous amounts of damage. Some might even say the damage is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
    I have seen the same problem on intensive games with PSU failure twice in the past.
    It doesn't necessarily fail when playing in normal modes, so you don't get that hint for the PSU, but when GPU etc demand more power PSU fail to deliver and that's when PC goes on shutdown and restart.

Have a look at it before start going deeper in the mobo issues.
    That's the thing, I don't know how to have a look into it. I sent it for warranty and it came back as "good" but I'm not convinced they did any real stress tests with it. Everything I've found on the internet seems to indicate a faulty psu, even the fact that Steam titles tend to be the biggest offender.

If I go out and replace the psu, what would a good psu be?

Would this(or the B certified) be enough or is this one a lot better?

Whats the cpu/gpu temperature when your playing games? Make sure that the heat sink didn't come loose off the psu. I had that happened to me. During the summer my pc would shut off randomly under load.
    The cpu heat sink wasnt making full contact and would cause the cpu to overheat and it would shut down.

Deleted
    looks like classic overheating scenario. it can be also memory leak, bad drivers or programs taking up all the memory, but then you would had warning from os.

The computer has:

According to Tom's Hardware PSU Tier List, your PSU is assigned to tier 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Hardware
    Built down to a low price. Not exactly the most stable units ever created. Very basic safety circuitry or even thin gauge wiring used. Not for gaming rigs or overclocking systems of any kind. Avoid unless your budget dictates your choice.
    These PSU's were never meant for gaming rigs. You should replace your PSU ASAP to prevent further damage to your rig with a PSU from Tier 2 or Tier 1.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    According to Tom's Hardware PSU Tier List, your PSU is assigned to tier 4.

These PSU's were never meant for gaming rigs. You should replace your PSU ASAP to prevent further damage to your rig with a PSU from Tier 2 or Tier 1.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html
    Huh interesting. I wonder why a Tier 3 psu (EVGA 600B) is always recommended on here.

Deleted
    I had this same issue for a long time (Computer would shut down/restart after prolonged heavy load unless I had my desk/tower fan blowing in the case) until the PSU finally went kaput. New PSU and this hasn't happened yet.

Monitor the temps especially on the CPU during a play session. You can also use some Benchmark tools to put them under heavy load and see if it crashes.

It sounds like a simple overheating scenario.

15+ Year Old Account
    Huh interesting. I wonder why a Tier 3 psu (EVGA 600B) is always recommended on here.
    Because they are decent budget PSUs that wont crash in a budget gaming rig. HEC, unless EVGA has changed, makes those psu's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interest tier list.
    Mine's not listed at this point (not surprised given it's from 2012), though its' newest rendition is tagged as T3, though it's been stable under heavy CPU and GPU load without any complaint. (Mainly from monitoring the voltages on the rails).

That may just be because it's grossly overrated for what the system actually needs though (4790k, gtx980ti, 1kW supply, previously used for multi R9 290 mining)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not ethical to expose people's faults. Only scumbags and bitches do that.
    The right thing would be to try to stop the behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    Interest tier list.
    Mine's not listed at this point (not surprised given it's from 2012), though its' newest rendition is tagged as T3, though it's been stable under heavy CPU and GPU load without any complaint. (Mainly from monitoring the voltages on the rails).

That may just be because it's grossly overrated for what the system actually needs though (4790k, gtx980ti, 1kW supply, previously used for multi R9 290 mining)
    Old tier list where you may find your PSU can be found here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...186.1455153976

I own an old Tier 3 PSU too. It is a Silverstone Strider Gold 850W made by Enhance Electronics. Unfortunately, back then I didn't know many things about PC's so I did not buy a Tier 2 PSU, as I would do now.

I recommend to the OP a Seasonic G-Series 650W. It costs in my country just 123 Euros, so it is probably much cheaper in the rest of Europe. This is what I would buy today.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prejumpton View Post
    looks like classic overheating scenario. it can be also memory leak, bad drivers or programs taking up all the memory, but then you would had warning from os.
    Yea, I would run a series of tests first before buying hardware. Run memtest86 to see if memory is fine, or even going as far as reinstalling Windows. Run a CPU stress test to see if the motherboard/CPU may have something to do will all this.

I would say look for faulty capacitors on the motherboard but nowadays a bad capacitors is not longer visible as they don't always bulge or explode.