[Speculation] Is the Nightwell corrupted?

I was reading this article about the Nightwell > http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Nightwell
    And about the Star Augur Etraeus fight where you can see him using the Void magic.

Since Suramar is located near N'zoth prison, is it possible that the Old God was slowly corrupting it?
    If so, do you think we'll see more about that in next patch contents?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfRider View Post
    I was reading this article about the Nightwell > http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Nightwell
    And about the Star Augur Etraeus fight where you can see him using the Void magic.

Since Suramar is located near N'zoth prison, is it possible that the Old God was slowly corrupting it?
    No, they had a barrier that shielded them from everything, including any outside influence.

Deleted
    i think this may be the case.

even though they had the barrier, nzoth wouldn't have been blocked as he is under suramar and would've been inside of the barrier

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Nightwell is powered by a Titanic Pillar of Creation (the Eye of Aman'thul), which is apparently what also grants the Shal'dorei their proficiency with chronomantic magic. I doubt it is itself corrupted although it's possible - Shadow and Void magic can be used without corruption by the Old Gods,
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I dont know about the Eye of aman thul but the well itselft maybe is already corrupted for the fel energies

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    I dont know about the Eye of aman thul but the well itselft maybe is already corrupted for the fel energies
    Fel corruption isn't as subtle as void corruption, and it kinda would've had to be there before the Legion even came to the Broken Isles though ol' N'zoth is probably a hairs-width away from Suramar.
    Worgen hard, or hardly worgen?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's Gul'dan's intention to corrupt the Nightwell, which probably means that hasn't happened yet. We'll probably be stopping him from doing that during the fight with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Gul'dan pisses in it.
    #boycottchina

Ertraeus has tapped into Void magic because he was overwhelmed by the power of the some of the beings and star systems he discenred in his outward gaze. Remember the night elves are called the Children of the Stars - I believe in the Nightborne we are seeing what this truly looks like. Their arcane prowress was directed upwards, and this stemmed from their religious fascination with Elune, the moon and the well, in looking and being drawn to the Well, they perceived Elune upwards via the moon and then started reaching for the stars. it's a part of their culture I'd love blizzard to expand on both in the Night Elves and the Nightborne, because until Suramar and the Nightborne, the star part of the Children of the Stars didn't seem to have much visualization in what we saw of them. That is until Suramar ofc, and especially this guy

At the start, I believe the night elves were naturally drawn to the arcane because it was in their make up - something WotA mentions, and Chronicles shows when it describes the arcane remaking the dark trolls into night elves. This makes sense to me, their beings and bodies are suffused, it's part of their make up, due to this transformation, they would always be drawn to it, long for it and is also why the night elves were never content with the nature alone. The Nature-only existence their initial tutelage by Cenarius gave them was not enough, despite their peaceful and wise/benevolent disposition that suits nature well, and got the wild gods impressed with their competence, care and stewardship enough to get Cenarius involved, was not enough for them as a whole, which is why at that stage, it never developed quite to the extent Malfurion gets it later. Chronicles records that they longed for more. I read that as actually more - so something in addition to nature, not besides nature. And WotA describes how they wove the arcane and used nature via the nacients to do everything, but they became more increasingly arcane orientated leaving nature behind. I think this is where the imbalance comes that causes the arcane addiction and recklessness. I say this because the Arcan'dor brings the arcane nightborne elves, the night elves who have become that way because of further and continuous intense arcane usage continuing on from before. Bringing a balance in a way they coudln't do via arcane means for those 10k years under the shield.

So I think in their studies they searched the stars intensely gazing into the night sky - the stars mean a lot to all of them, hence why they called themselves The Kal'dorei. They harness the power of the stars - this is their primary arcane focus, and you see it also spill out in the priesthood and balance druids too. Star Augur Ertraeus shows you the arcane focus - his voice files indicate they look up and he was one of the most talented.

But, this is where you need faith, and hope, because over the last 10k years, he began to perceive beings of immense power, including hte void, and sought to capture thier power too, without faith in a goddess that is greater than you, you would likely become fearful and how does a powerful confident person without faith react to fear? They get more arrogant and try to powergrab, make themselves stronger to protect themselves, even if it is an impossible ordeal. And so he learns to tap into the void, and with the Legion , fel too. Makes me wonder if Azshara followed the same paths 10k years ago, and is why she ended up doing what she did.

What if like Ertraeus she started to perceive those far more powerful thigns and beings out there and sought to reach their levels? What if she learned of the demons before anyone else did and pushed everyone further into the arcane either to protect them (At least initially) or to join them as equals - you see a sane person would trust that an even greater poewr like the goddess has your back against htose much bigger darknessess, but when you have no faith, like Azshara ended up falling out with the priesthood, and Ertraeus being tapped in Suramar, with it high priestess gone, thought dead, and with her the order - well, his "logical" but ambitious mind sees power to grab, and he does.

But Ertraeus learns to harness the power of the void, not via religious means like priests do, but via arcane menas, just like priestesses of the moon learn to harness the arcane power of the stars not by arcane means but by religious means even though the power of elune wielded offensively is arcane, and defensively is holy. I continue to monitor the situation.
    Last edited by Mace; 2016-09-27 at 12:49 AM.

The "[insert creature/item here] is corrupted" really needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    The "[insert creature/item here] is corrupted" really needs to stop.
    lol.. it shows up a lot doesn't it, everything is corrupted, or secretly corrupted, or going to be corrupted /yawn huh

And obviously we must slay them cause we can't let them stay corrupted like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's common theme in Fantasy, I don't even understand what's so bad about it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    I would say it is highly unlikely. Gul'dan might do something to it, but since we are going to be friends with Elisandre, she is proberly going to cleanse it no matter what and give us acces to the Eye of Aman'thul. So the nightwell is doing well
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    The thing I find laughable about corruption in a fantasy setting like wow is how it's used as an easy scapegoat for why <character/race> go from being good, to suddenly being evil, because all corruption gives you a perfect personality swap no matter what you believe.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    There's other ways to go. For example, a faction that has shifting alliances would be interesting. The Defias would be perfectly suitable in this regard. The King betrayed Van Cleef so he started his own faction. Then later his daughter is defeated but then she shifts alliances and marries Anduin. Then there are more shifts in the future. In this sense, the story isn't about "Oh they were corrupted" but more about just raw ambition.

Unfortunately, they just threw the Defias away. Defias would be interesting because at least its a DIFFERENT story, its not about corruption. Constantly dealing with corruption gets old.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account

Surumar isn't anywhere near N'Zoth's prison. I can't find the map from Chronicle to link, but I'm sure someone else can.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    There's other ways to go. For example, a faction that has shifting alliances would be interesting. The Defias would be perfectly suitable in this regard. The King betrayed Van Cleef so he started his own faction. Then later his daughter is defeated but then she shifts alliances and marries Anduin. Then there are more shifts in the future. In this sense, the story isn't about "Oh they were corrupted" but more about just raw ambition.

Unfortunately, they just threw the Defias away. Defias would be interesting because at least its a DIFFERENT story, its not about corruption. Constantly dealing with corruption gets old.
    I find corruption is used for many minor, disposable villains, and that's how it gets old. Most major bad guys are just flat out evil without corruption, like Arthas. (He took Frostmourne willingly guys, literally stepping over his mentors corpse without a second thought)