Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Il'gynoth: Can't get past the 2nd P1

Hi all,

My guild is having problems getting past Il'gynoth and I don't see what we are doing wrong or what to change....
    Here is a link to our 11 wipes :'( from last night...

www . warcraftlogs.com/reports/xAhZRQK4tNX32V1T#boss=-2

We are ok on the 1st P1 and get the heart down to 40ish%.

When the 2nd P1 comes around and the corruptions spawn on the far sides of the map we get wrecked!
    Is the fact that we are only 11-12 people plus the fact that we have more melee than casters making this combat harder than it should be?
    Or are we just doing something horribly wrong...
    I really don't think we should be struggling as much as we are on this...

Any feedback on this would be great

Stop bloodlusting inside and bloodlust as you exit the first heart phase. You get 90 seconds the second time you enter, 45 seconds the first time, so you have TONS of time to kill the heart as long as you get it to like 50-60% on your first go. Bloodlust outside means you can kill the two big tentacles that spawns instantly before they start ramping dmg, and makes it easier to switch to smaller for ranged (let melee finish off big ones, bloodlusted ranged can handle small).

What Draco said. Save lust for second P1, helps you keep adds under control.

My group was having problems with 2nd p1 as well. Our problem is that we were focusing too much on ichors and trying to dps them down near the eye, instead of focusing EXCLUSIVELY on tentacles and once they're down, bring all the ichors to the eye and AoE them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saving bloodlust for second P1 is not something we tried and sounds like a good idea .... and I didn't realize that we had 90 seconds the second time we went in!!!

Deleted
    Hi Smegg,
    To me your raid dps looks rather low, however, we did also struggle with the second phase of adds, we had a smaller raid team also. Here are our logs:
    www. warcraftlogs.com/reports/DmbJXxTfcA2NyL4r#fight=20
    The way we managed to smooth this fight out was by using Heroism/Bloodlust for the second add phase, instead of during the 'burn' phase when inside. We popped Heroism/BL when the 2 tanked tentacles came up right at the very start of the phase. We nuked these down, moved our range on the spew corruption tentacles and kept melee interrupting the mind flay tentacles.
    This could be an option for you, but, it might be that you don’t have enough dps to kill the actual boss during the burn phases. We had the boss sub 30% after the first phase so easily could utilise Hero/BL elsewhere.
    Looking at your logs you are using hero when I recommended on the 2nd lot of adds, however, you might be spawning more than necessary meaning you are entering the 'burn' phase late.
    I hope this helps, let me know if you need me to elaborate more.

After chipseh said something about the dps I went in and checked the logs. Yeah, your raid dps is quite low. This is what needs to be addressed imo. Tentacles take time to die == raid getting more damage == people dying and wipes.

Also Ursoc will not go well if the dps doesn't pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post
    My group was having problems with 2nd p1 as well. Our problem is that we were focusing too much on ichors and trying to dps them down near the eye, instead of focusing EXCLUSIVELY on tentacles and once they're down, bring all the ichors to the eye and AoE them.
    We were having the same issues and we fixed it in the same way. We also had enough range and melee dps that we only had the range switch to the corrupters because they often spawn off to the sides. But focusing on killing all the adds before nuking the ichors is probably the best advice. Also, I'd say save the hero for the second time you go into the heart

Deleted
    looking at the logs I feel less bad as in both logs Fire Mages performed more or less like me :P

On a more "in topic" perspective, the 2nd p2 is 90 sec in normal too? we downed him yesterday but the RL acted like we made it by a pico second, but we did not stay inside 90 sec

10+ Year Old Account
    I think bloodlusting coming out of P2 sound good it's at least something we are going to try.
    We are low on dps but i think it has something to do with all the running around panicking because we have too many tentacles AND ichors up and that we are 4 melee and two ranged so going from tentacle to tentacle is not great when they spawn on the far sides…

Thanks a lot for the answers this gives us something else to try.

Have been in the Raid 3 days in a row now with 3 different random groups. We spent 2 * 2h on this boss and finally killed it (2 * 2h with different groups).

Like told x times before. Bloodlusting in the 2nd P1 is key if you want to make things easy / doable for now. And yes 2nd time P2 is 90 second on normal too. The first time we entered p2 the second time we ware only 2 tanks + 1 heal alive and they told us to try it... even if it's nonsense... so we managed to take the boss down to 17%.

The second time we managed to enter p2 with 12/13 people alive i think he just got destroyed with about 50 seconds left. We also didn't do so well on the dps meters...

The far away corruptor tentacles in p2 were focused by a demon hunter and a rogue in our group cause they did the best dps and can move quite fast. We also made the same mistake to focus too much on the moving bubbles instead of killing the nasty tentacles first and then bomb the bubbles if we have time. also make sure that there's nothing alive one entering the room of p2.

just play it save, you have plenty of time at the end. keep the people cool and alive and focus on the tentacles. we did prio corruptor > eye > big ones = moving huge thing

Quote Originally Posted by drakorex View Post
    On a more "in topic" perspective, the 2nd p2 is 90 sec in normal too? we downed him yesterday but the RL acted like we made it by a pico second, but we did not stay inside 90 sec
    Yep, you get longer inside the second time on normal.

Quote Originally Posted by drakorex View Post
    looking at the logs I feel less bad as in both logs Fire Mages performed more or less like me :P

I'm a fire mage and we raid with a second fire mage in my group.

I'm at around 200k in this fight and my other fire mage is doing around 210k.

The secret is shimmer, ice floes and positioning. Move out of things on the floor with ice floes and shimmer to tentacles when they appear far away. Also spec into living bomb for the Ichor AoE. They'll go down quickly enough.

ps: For the tentacles -> Do not forget to interrupt mind flays! Those hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Smegg View Post
    Hi all,

My guild is having problems getting past Il'gynoth and I don't see what we are doing wrong or what to change....
    Here is a link to our 11 wipes :'( from last night...

www . warcraftlogs.com/reports/xAhZRQK4tNX32V1T#boss=-2

We are ok on the 1st P1 and get the heart down to 40ish%.

When the 2nd P1 comes around and the corruptions spawn on the far sides of the map we get wrecked!
    Is the fact that we are only 11-12 people plus the fact that we have more melee than casters making this combat harder than it should be?
    Or are we just doing something horribly wrong...
    I really don't think we should be struggling as much as we are on this...

Any feedback on this would be great
    Your healers are pretty weak, id also suggest getting a 4th healer till you kill it.

Deleted
    we had the same struggle with a small 10-12 man raid with just 1 ranged dps

but we killed it despite a random shaman pulling bloodlust in the heart phase instead of after.

The key is to kill corrupter tentacles quickly, and the big add not in the middle. You have to know in P2 when the Corruptors spawn on the far right and far left. Designate a few people with mobility skills to be prepared for the spawn ahead of time so they are there immediately to deal with them.
    Also kill the blobs whenever they are infront of the eye. Always go to the eye if fixated unless debuffed. Don't wait to kill blobs until you gathered 20, they hurt the raid a lot in my experience.

In the 2nd heart phase you can keep the big add alive, a healer and tanks can stay outside infront of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    Also kill the blobs whenever they are infront of the eye. Always go to the eye if fixated unless debuffed. Don't wait to kill blobs until you gathered 20, they hurt the raid a lot in my experience.
    This advice would have literally wiped my raid.

YMMV, I guess.

Deleted
    Looking at your best attempt (7% on the heart) - your burst DPS seems really low, although it is doable.

Everyone saying to save lust for the second P1 - I completely disagree, and you would to if you actually looked at the logs.

Your hunter(Zamius) and rogue(Raveen) did 1.9 and 1.6 million damage to the heart during the 45 seconds with bloodlust and presumably all cds. To put that in perspective, each of them only did 20% of the next person above them who did a tad over 10 million. To be fair to the hunter he did die but nobody should be dying in the heart phase, its hilariously easy especially considering you don't have a massive number of people in your raid.

Sort out those two or replace them and you have a kill. Easy.

Also, there is just some straight up bad play, I mean your druid tank used mangle TWICE during the heart phase and from what I can tell wasn't even dpsing until almost half way through

Or just ignore everything and actually use potions and commit to the heart phase

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post
    This advice would have literally wiped my raid.

YMMV, I guess.
    how?

we had no ranged dd except 1 hunter. Killing 12-20 blobs at once with just melee aoe caused so much damage to our raid it was unreal and not very efficient either as it is almost impossible to kill them at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Knew It View Post

Your hunter(Zamius) and rogue(Raveen) did 1.9 and 1.6 million damage to the heart during the 45 seconds with bloodlust and presumably all cds. To put that in perspective, each of them only did 20% of the next person above them who did a tad over 10 million. To be fair to the hunter he did die but nobody should be dying in the heart phase, its hilariously easy especially considering you don't have a massive number of people in your raid.

Sort out those two or replace them and you have a kill. Easy.
    ?? The number of debuffs in the heart phase is the same for 10 people or 30 people. There is no difference in the phase no matter how many people you are. The strat is also the same. Whole raid gathers in one spot infront of the heart and the people with the bombs move out in a star pattern around the room.

Also from my experience the hp scaling of the boss is only like 5% per player. So unless the hunter and rogue did less than 5% total damage it is probably not going to get easier by simply dropping them.

Ilgynoth gets much easier the more people you have.

Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    how?

we had no ranged dd except 1 hunter. Killing 12-20 blobs at once with just melee aoe caused so much damage to our raid it was unreal and not very efficient either as it is almost impossible to kill them at the same time.
    Because we had no melee dps except 1 DK

If we were to bring every Ichor to the eye as soon as they spawned our ranged would lose so much time moving that the dps would drop immensely, increasing the time we were exposed to Tentacle damage.

Then all we had to do is bring the ichors to the middle after the tentacles died, the DK would clump them up in one spot, and we'd AoE them pretty quickly. This way we barely got any damage in our raid except for the times a mindflay went unchecked (which shouldn't really have happened, but it did).

Outside of all teh tips above, what suddenly made us kill the boss from usually wiping shortly after exiting the eye for the 2nd cycle was after the first two dominator tentacles, we all booked it over to the ones that give people that dropping puddle debuff (the ones that spawn in the far corner of the area). We plowed those down as fast as possible, ignoring whatever else was up, and it was much cleaner.

That poison dropping debuff just had too many people running around, taking lots of damage out of range, and making it hard to walk around. Once we cleared those out, the 2nd cycle was much more manageable.