Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    It's more a problem of the cultural self-hatred currently in vogue in the west that cannot acknowledge the numerous accomplishments of our civilization but focuses on things like slavery and colonialism as though they were unique to us in the time period. All the anti-colonialists love to bemoan the injustices of empires of white men while ignoring that brown and black people the world over practiced the same injustices at the same time. Furthermore, they also ignore that it was white, Christian, westerners who ended the practice of slavery in their dominions at the height of their power, which is nearly unfathomable. We also caused it's practice to diminish in the places we did not control because the leaders of those lands wanted to trade with us, and we had conditions about that kind of thing.

Say what you want about Columbus, he was a product of his time. His discovery of the Americas accidental or otherwise, caused a monumental shift in the history of the world. He is worth remembering.
    Never said he is not worth remembering. However removal of a statue is not striking him from history books. You need something stronger than that.

Columbus is the Kim Kardashian of explorers... famous for all the wrong reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Columbus is the Kim Kardashian of explorers... famous for all the wrong reasons.
    /thread
    11/10
    would quote again.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It also required an extreme degree of ignorance to not pack sufficient supplies for the journey he intended to take and sufficient asshattery to behave the way he did towards the natives.
    Yes, you're right, but there's a great deal of people remembered as national heroes who were violent and ignorant asshats. It's nice that we know how people truly were, but I think it's fine for countries to remember those who did extraordinary things in their time. Of course, there are many who were better than Columbus in many ways, but I don't think they should go as far as removing his statue.

Deleted
    Ahah what a joke. People have too much free time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Never said he is not worth remembering. However removal of a statue is not striking him from history books. You need something stronger than that.
    no no no that's not how it works, YOU need to supply the burden of proof necessary to bring down a statue that has been there for ages...but is only being brought up recently because of left-wing, self-hating, ideology that is political correctness.

THERE is NO reason to bring it down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    no no no that's not how it works, YOU need to supply the burden of proof necessary to bring down a statue that has been there for ages...but is only being brought up recently because of left-wing, self-hating, ideology that is political correctness.

THERE is NO reason to bring it down.
    I dont need to supply anything as I am not for taking down the statue (as my first post indicates). Telling me it is the same as being stricken from the history books is a giant stretch IMO.

Here we go again, liberals trying to rewrite history to be more PC.

Stupid.

If we try to remove everything from our past that we do not like. We are censoring the past. How will we learn from our mistake's? Where do we draw the line.
    What should or should not be removed???

If IDIOT people like this start and help the rest of the world in modern day, stop racism, forced laber, child abuse , discrimination in modern times the world would be a better place real fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Here we go again, liberals trying to rewrite history to be more PC.
    Not sure how taking down the statue is the same as rewriting history. This is the argument that confuses me.

10+ Year Old Account
    why do they choose now after so long? Its too late to be correct ain't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Stupid.

If we try to remove everything from our past that we do not like. We are censoring the past. How will we learn from our mistake's? Where do we draw the line.
    What should or should not be removed???

If IDIOT people like this start and help the rest of the world in modern day, stop racism, forced laber, child abuse , discrimination in modern times the world would be a better place real fast.
    You'll find that the racists are generally the ones demanding we keep things like statues of Columbus or the Confederate flag in the public eye.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll find that the racists are generally the ones demanding we keep things like statues of Columbus or the Confederate flag in the public eye.
    Thats generalizing and racist.

Deleted
    I can see why, but its a nice statue.
    Pretty much what I thought. Could we appreciate the statue while still remembering what greedy murderous motherfuckers we Europeans are? Same as all the other outstanding monuments made by, for, or with the money of kings, tyrants, dictators and traitors of old.

Well, the flag is just a rag. But the sculpture is an art object to admire, learn from and inform us about the past. Flags are dime a dozen, while a cultural artifact usually isn't replaceable. The Romans were slavers and conquerors, do we now go ahead and scour the last pieces of Roman architecture and sculpture off the face of the Earth and perform public burnings of Virgil's or Ovid's or whoeverthefuck's texts?
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2016-09-27 at 06:55 PM.

lol. taking down the monument is one thing but I don't expect anyone to be for the "hey we were awful at this point in time" statue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    Pretty much what I thought. Could we appreciate the statue while still remembering what greedy murderous motherfuckers Europeans were? Same as all the other outstanding monuments made by, for, or with the money of kings, tyrants, dictators and traitors of old.
    Agreed. Honestly "its a nice statue" is a good enough reason IMO to keep it up unless you have a strong reason to take it down.

Removal of the statue does however make a statement I disagree with, that statement being Columbus' legacy is not worth celebrating. I think it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Removal of the statue does however make a statement I disagree with, that statement being Columbus' legacy is not worth celebrating. I think it is.
    Fair enough. Which legacy do you refer?

It's more a problem of the cultural self-hatred currently in vogue in the west that cannot acknowledge the numerous accomplishments of our civilization but focuses on things like slavery and colonialism as though they were unique to us in the time period. All the anti-colonialists love to bemoan the injustices of empires of white men while ignoring that brown and black people the world over practiced the same injustices at the same time. Furthermore, they also ignore that it was white, Christian, westerners who ended the practice of slavery in their dominions at the height of their power, which is nearly unfathomable. We also caused it's practice to diminish in the places we did not control because the leaders of those lands wanted to trade with us, and we had conditions about that kind of thing.
    It's called "white guilt," and it's an important staple for lefties. Ask any SJW, and it's like they all believe that every white person should carry a cat-o-nine whip and flog themselves every single day and grovel at the feet of anyone who isn't white and every day beg for forgiveness for the sins of people who are long dead, and we should all feel terribly, horribly ashamed for being white.

I don't see any reason why skin color or race should fucking matter at all, one way or the other. Black pride, white pride, white guilt, it's all the same to me: stupid, pointless, racist (yes, even "black pride") and kind of fucking creepy. So whenever someone tries to tell me how bad I should feel for being a white male, and how I am completely and utterly incapable of understanding or empathizing with anyone else's situation or feelings, I want to break their fucking jaw.

What a bunch of cucked losers. White guilt is so pathetic and embarrassing. I wish these idiots would pack up and go to a more "diverse" country instead of ruining for everyone else. They never do, though!