Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    Was this not a problem in the past? You still had to grind gear for alts for them to be viable. Just as you have to grind AP now for alts for them to be viable.
    Gearing an alt isn't the object of this discussion in the past thanks to the work you had previously done with the main alts could just go straight for the dungeons/raid without much grind beside levelling, blizzard new mantra is basically you should redo everything in order to play alts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherV20 View Post
    Don't know if this has been said already, but I think a happy medium between how it is now and what the OP is suggesting would be to make it that once you fully research all the AK on your main the research would be faster on alts, like 2 days instead of 4.

To be perfectly honest I don't like artifact knowledge to begin with. IMO, the trait points we acquire from AP should be shared between all your specs. Right now it's kinda like when we had 41(?) talent points but would have had to re-level your character, in a sense, for the talent points for an off spec. It's kind of crazy. Also, sorry if that was a bit off topic.
    the middle ground would be making AK account wide and ask you to go around and do some WQ to get the AP needed
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    I've got 10 level 100 alts ready to level - and it would be foolish (downright stupid) of me to assume I could/should be able to level a good chunk of those for minimal or no effort compared to my main.

People shouldnt be allowed into a situation (without huge amounts of effort) that I did with WoD, which is, get 11 level 100 chars for almost no effort. (maybe 2-3 hours to get lvl 90-100 using the Elixir / pre-completed zone objective fast lvl strat). I never really earnt those characters so to speak, but rather Blizzard gave them to me.

Because wow is a game, not a job - like you said yourself - people should be made to choose which aspects of the game they want to focus on. And no, saying 'i just want everything without the effort' is not an acceptable answer.

Incorrect i'm afraid. What you meant to say was that people will just pick and choose what actually matters to them. If an alt doesnt really matter (like most of mine) I wont touch it. But for those that do, i'll invest time into them and get it done.

I'm very happy that i'm being forced to choose which alt to level and take it seriously, because I know its a huge amount of work and time investment compared to alts in the past. It makes my character feel meaningful again, rather than one of cheap alt throwaways that meant nothing and levelled in a flash.
    Most players do "earn" their toons. Just because people don't purposefully gimp themselves through arbitrary self-imposed restrictions like you are suggesting they should doesn't mean they didn't put in moderate to high effort for those toons. And most people don't level using the elixirs considering it ends up being a comparatively expensive effort unless maximazed through a guide on youtube. I can't help but feel you have some thereotical cynical chip on your shoulder when it comes to WoW and you would rather have people go back to monotonous grinds to achieve even the simplest things like in Vanilla (Tell me I'm wrong bro).

Nice try to attempt to speak for me, but no I meant exactly what I said. However, let's play your little game & say people will just pick what "actually matters" to them. Even this wouldn't fit the truth of the whole picture. I'll take my own situation for example. I go school & work so naturally I have less time to really dedicate to multiple grinds, as do many adults with less flexible schedules as well. I for one have multiple characters that actually matter to me, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted real play time to make & level them as that would be pretty stupid. If the time didn't allow me, or some other player, to optimize all of my most valued toons through artifact grinding the situation I would actually be put into would be choosing what matters *most*. Your label of people simply not spending time on characters that matter to them is not true in many cases since they may be having to simply not play a third or fourth character they really enjoy, or that they use for different purposes. You clearly do not understand why people enjoy playing alts & have demonstrated that you don't have the cognitive capacity to see through the perspective of a player who strongly values more than just one character and/or more than one spec.

Under your philosophy we might as well not be able to roll more than one character because the more alts you have the less meaningful they are. Guess you haven't grasped the concept of RPG in MMORPG. This genre of gaming frequently encourages players to play through many roles/characters, not restrict players to some pseudo-online single player experience where you only work on one character.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Nothing should be account wide. You want to start over, it's done from square 1.
    Yes, exactly, I also hate the idea of convenience and enjoying myself.

More pain for everybody!

Isn't there a catchup mechanism for artifact knowledge for alts/ later leveled characters? We are still at the very beginning at the expension. Just be patient. And for off specs.. Well I don't know, what level your level is, but getting currently +200% certainly helps catching up, compared to earlier, and it can become much much more on later levels. Once again, just be patient.

Oh and do Worldquest and -bosses. They are a nice source for easy relict items. And maybe don't just out everything in your main spec artifect. For example you get a relict, that you can use on both artifacts, but would offer your main spec just +3 item level, while your off spec hasn't got a relict at all, choose the off spec artifact .

I have absolutely no problem with aritfact knowledge or artifact power. I think that's a nice progression grind to have for individual classes.

But FUCK ME! WHY IS THE THIRD RELIC SLOT GATED BEHIND TIMED MISSIONS!!!!!

That's the only thing I want account wide, the damn third slot.

We should bring rep boosts from Pandaria i think? Item that can be bought when revered/exalted that boost reputation gain on other toons (account wide) who are below revered exalted.

Also, artifact knowledge SHOULD be account wide, or at least, server wide. It doesnt hurt people who dont like this idea. You can just ignore it and focus on main all the time. Nothing will change. For people who want to play alts on decent level it would be godsend.

Lots of time gating in this expansion. Biggest offender is timed missions for campaign. Or, just unlock the third artifact slot when you hit lvl 110 on alts if already at least one character fully completed class order story.

It really sucks to spend a lot of time on character and then find out other class suit you better. Well, scrap 3-4 week progress and just lets start over. It just sucks.

Um, for alt spec artifact knowledge serves this purpose. For alts, artifact knowledge advances faster depending on how long since the expac launched, and how long since last played. My main AK started at 3 days/WO, my 1st alt started at 2 days/WO and this is only a month in.

Sky isn't falling.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    Lol, no.. mostly because it's a rep that does not really affect you in any shape or form.. and if they are ''lorenerds'' as you say, they wont have a name like "sailorgirl" cause that would break the lore, completely. but as a roleplayer, I would not mind having server-wide rep shared at least. account-wide would be to powerful, for professions. even though most of the profession stuff in legion is pretty useless.
    Yes "sailorgirl" was an exageration. I have no problem with sharing rep's however how do we deal with Bloodsail Rep? Some people have exalted with bloodsail but another toon is exalted with Booty Bay? Can't be exalted with both on same toon.

Rep server wide for that faction works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Dude, really? Gold isn't fucking account-wide? Are you high?
    Gold isn't account-wide. No I am not high.

Sure I can send gold to alts of the same faction on the same server. But how do you propose I send gold to my horde toon on Thaurissan from my Alliance toon on Frostmourne?

Quote Originally Posted by OneTripleZero View Post
    If your alts matched your main in terms of character progress, then you wouldn't have a main, would you?
    Yes, I would. It would be the one I played the most... Pretty hard concept.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post
    Game shouldn't be balanced around 15 alt players. WOD tried that and it sucked.
    Please elucidate for me how it would detract from another player's game experience were I able to have account wide character progression?
    GM of <Invictus>
    Co-Founder of www.classicwow.live
    Co-Author of the Navak & Egregious 1-60 Horde & Alliance Leveling Guide
    Discord: Egregious#7439
    Twitch
    YouTube

There aren't even 15 classes in the game.

From what I understand, AK will take a minimum of 2.5 months (i.e., I've read that the "floor" is 3 days/level) to a maximum of 4 months (5 days/level), and the class order hall upgrades (for the second legendary) take approximately 1.5 months. (The class order hall campaign--to get the third relic slot--for a dedicated player, shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks even for a warrior.)

And it's going to be a 2-year expansion (give or take).

An off-spec wouldn't take too long to get power (already unlocked the third relic slot, already has a decent AK level).

An alt would require about two weeks to get the third relic slot, and probably would get the first and second "gold trait" on their artifact in that time.

I'm nowhere near bleeding edge (and still short of "competent average player" :-), but it doesn't sound too strenuous to level an alt.

I wouldn't want to do Pathfinder on an alt, mind you. (Not sure if I'm going to complete it on my main, either...) But a little effort should be enough to get an alt up to speed, and easily get an off-spec ready.

Power? No. Knowledge? Absolutely. I see no reason to limit alts from gaining Artifact Power quicker if you have the requisite research on a character already. The problem currently is the catch-up for artifact knowledge is basically worthless. Just have Artifact Knowledge be server wide (maybe no cross-faction but all your characters of the same faction on one server should absolutely have shared Knowledge).

Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post
    There aren't even 15 classes in the game.
    That's not even remotely an answer to what I asked.
    GM of <Invictus>
    Twitch
    YouTube

Reputations are in dire need of those Grand Commendations you could buy for MoP factions once you reached revered. It would give some of the reputation gear an actual purpose and it would make unlocking the two Suramar dungeons on alts a lot more manageable.

Artifact power should remain the way it is. Though I wouldn't mind if a certain % of all AP you gain to a specific artifact would give some spillover to your other artifacts.

Artifact knowledge as it is right now shouldn't be account-wide. Instead the catch-up mechanic should be much more rigorous. A few months into the expansion your main might have an AK level of 25. With the current mechanics your alt would need over a month of research to reach that level due to the absolute minimum research time still being a whole day. That research time should be lowered much more across the board until your alt is almost caught up with your main. Is your main's AK level 2 or more levels higher than your alt's? Then the research time for each level until you reach that point is 1 day MAXIMUM. The minimum could drop as low as a few hours, along with a temporary boost to the amount of work orders you can place.

Deleted
    Total forgot about the MoP commendation to double rep. They were beyond handy for alt catchup, especially for things like the ranch and serpents. That would be such an easy fix and more than welcome one

Quote Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
    Yes, I would. It would be the one I played the most... Pretty hard concept.
    And so the character you play the most should be farther ahead. That's not a hard concept either.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    I wouldn't want to do Pathfinder on an alt, mind you. (Not sure if I'm going to complete it on my main, either...) But a little effort should be enough to get an alt up to speed, and easily get an off-spec ready.
    Pathfinder is account-wide, just like in WoD

And so the character you play the most should be farther ahead. That's not a hard concept either.
    I reject that all of my characters are distinct from one another. I unify them all, they are all extensions of myself. Just because lore nerds want to be hated with Booty Bay on one toon or something doesn't even remotely come close to being important enough to segregate all of your characters.

You could even wrap it up in lore and say that all of your alternate characters are followers of your main. That being the case, a reputation for one should be a reputation for all. You could even go further and say, on that special toon you just have to have hated with some retard ass rep, you leave your main's following and progress on your own. It's a bit harder to justify Artifact Knowledge... but that's some dumb bullshit anyway and they should at least put you 20% behind your main with AK on your alts.

Long and short, it's really fucking stupid.
    GM of <Invictus>
    Twitch
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    However research level should be shared, you've already invested the time once over.
    "Hey mage, heard you want to know about staves so I brought you my notes on my two-handed sword!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    The bigger question is why do you think you shouldnt have to earn it, just like you did for your main?
    Err i do think the OP is not asking for logging into a 100 alt, and it becoming 110 and 850ilevel, just like that.
    He is asking for the same quantity of artifact power he has in his main, for his alts artifact;
    I would also ask for the reputation with factions to be account wide, specially if we are not talking about cosmetic rewards, but unlocking dungeons.
    You see i am very happy with my main char, but i would also like to be able to play with my alts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I think it's fine that you aren't able to freely switch between characters all the time, but rather have to make a decision to some degree, and commit to it.
    Why? where is the harm of it?, because people would play all the same class/spec then? solution: balance the damn game.
    If i could switch between my chars all the time i would have even more content to do in the game, because i would keep the rep and artifact progression, but not the rest of the gear/leveling.
    Also i would be ok with making a decision and commiting to it, if they were not buffing/nerfing every class after release.
    Stop the balancing before release, and then i will be ok with commiting to one class/spec.

Pathfinder is account-wide, just like in WoD
    I know. But if there's no reason to grind rep, for instance (e.g., recipes rep-gated), I'm not going to bother.

As an example: In MoP, with the "+50% rep" commendations you could buy (once you reached Revered on one alt), I actually went after rep on alts, even when it wasn't for rep-gated stuff.