Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Difference in Education

Nigerian-Americans are currently one of, if not the most educated ethnic/cultural group in America. 40% of Nigerian-Americans hold bachelor degrees, 17% of Nigerian-Americans hold master's degrees and 4% of Nigerian-Americans hold doctorates.

Not to get into any racial topics. I'm simply curious on what cultural differences allow Nigerian-Americans to academically prosper more than African-Americans (those who are distant descendants of African slaves, such as myself).

You'd really have to look at the different immigrant groups and compare those, rather than to black americans

Deleted
    If they came to the US to study, I would say it's possible that they have a way higher drive and motivation.

Just as many other foreign students that travel half the world to accomplish something.

Deleted
    Education... haha. What does that mean? What to educated people know over not educated ones?

In the end this question alone marks what education could mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Education... haha. What does that mean? What to educated people know over not educated ones?

In the end this question alone marks what education could mean.
    Why are Nigerian Americans on average more educated than African-Americans?

There are several groups in the US that do well, Nigerians, Jewish immigrants, Cubans Lebanese and a few others. These people are looked down on but they believe they are equals or even superior. This gives them something to prove so they strive to do better than average.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You'd really have to look at the different immigrant groups and compare those, rather than to black americans
    Why? I'm trying to have a discussion on why Nigerian-Americans are more educated than African-Americans, which struggle with education in many aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Why? I'm trying to have a discussion on why Nigerian-Americans are more educated than African-Americans, which struggle with education in many aspects.
    Because immigrants are much better selected. Nigerians might just be normal for immigrants, or they could be doing worse than others, etc...

Because immigrants are much better selected. Nigerians might just be normal for immigrants, or they could be doing worse than others, etc...
    You're not getting this, it's not that they're doing worse, they're seemingly doing better.
    According to 2006 census data, 37 percent of Nigerians in the U.S. had bachelor's degrees, 17 percent held master's degrees and 4 percent had doctorates. In contrast, the same census data showed only 19 percent of white Americans had bachelor’s degrees, 8 percent held master’s degrees and only 1 percent held doctorates, the paper reports.
    http://www.bet.com/news/national/201...n-the-u-s.html

Now obviously, being from 2006, it's rather old data, not to mention it's taken from BET and obviously, as Euro-Americans form the majority of the United States, there are significantly more White Americans with degrees. So the accuracy of this information is, is questionable.

You're not getting this, it's not that they're doing worse, they're seemingly doing better.

http://www.bet.com/news/national/201...n-the-u-s.html

Now obviously, being from 2006, it's rather old data, not to mention it's taken from BET and obviously, as Euro-Americans form the majority of the United States, there are significantly more White Americans with degrees. So the accuracy of this information is, is questionable.
    You're not getting this. You can't compare native to immigrants when the immigrants are by default better selected, when looking at whether an immigrant group does better for cultural reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are looking to first generation or second generation immigrants, I would say look to see cultural differences. Generally some immigrant groups do very well academically in certain fields, even beyond their non immigrant counterparts of the same ancestry.

You're not getting this. You can't compare native to immigrants when the immigrants are by default better selected, when looking at whether an immigrant group does better for cultural reasons.
    Immigrant groups are only better selected when it's a group we want to keep out. European immigrants during the 19th century were almost universally uneducated, unskilled peasants, because we flung the door open to anyone who wanted to come in in an effort to try to keep the country as white as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Immigrant groups are only better selected when it's a group we want to keep out. European immigrants during the 19th century were almost universally uneducated, unskilled peasants, because we flung the door open to anyone who wanted to come in in an effort to try to keep the country as white as possible.
    Doesn't really have anything to do with the subject right now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Literally the first time I have heard of this.

I'm referring to second generation, those born or at least raised in the US.

I'm referring to second generation, those born or at least raised in the US.
    So you're asking why second gen immigrants from rich, educated families would become rich and educated?

Culturally I think they just don't live in the same communities as AAs and they obviously don't have the same history, so there wouldn't be much meshing going on. I get the feeling they don't have the same chip on their shoulder.

There's also an aspect of authority - to AAs whites are seen as authority figures, and therefore getting a good job, good education, to some seems like living the white man's life. There's a lot of racism in AA communities, as there are in Native Canadian ones where elders sometimes say that education and a career are the white man's way of keeping them in line and white washing them and so on.

Nigerian-Americans are currently one of, if not the most educated ethnic/cultural group in America. 40% of Nigerian-Americans hold bachelor degrees, 17% of Nigerian-Americans hold master's degrees and 4% of Nigerian-Americans hold doctorates.

Not to get into any racial topics. I'm simply curious on what cultural differences allow Nigerian-Americans to academically prosper more than African-Americans (those who are distant descendants of African slaves, such as myself).
    Because a large part of the culture in poor areas looks down on you if you get an education. "What you think you're better than me?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Because a large part of the culture in poor areas looks down on you if you get an education. "What you think you're better than me?"
    Sounds like most of America to me. Plenty of people like to discredit science on the grounds that being an expert is meaningless because they can be proven wrong.........

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Sounds like most of America to me. Plenty of people like to discredit science on the grounds that being an expert is meaningless because they can be proven wrong.........
    It's sort of why Thomas Sowell refers to them as "Black Rednecks"

10+ Year Old Account
    It's sort of why Thomas Sowell refers to them as "Black Rednecks"
    Who?

Im talking about an issue in the US as a whole.