Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Could you ever live a traditional life?

Looking at people who are living a traditional life I don't think I could do it. It seems so restricted.

Could you do it?

10+ Year Old Account
    What is traditional?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    What is traditional?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_society

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kits View Post
    hard to say to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really sure why you'd want to.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think 2 weeks in the middle ages during a time without civil unrest, outright war, famine or some kind of pandemic going on would be an amazing vacation to go on.
    However, living without the perks of modern life indefinitely is not something I'd be willing to do.
    COULD I do it?
    Well, maybe, if I had to. But if I had to live my entire life working daybreak till nightfall just to survive, freezing my ass off in the winter and without access to the internet, penicillin or even tomatoes - fuck that shit.

Deleted
    Could I? Of course. Would I want to? Nah, I like how things are.

If you're talking about us reverting to Hunter-gatherer lifestyles, the Earth doesn't have enough resources to sustain 7 billion humans. It can barely sustain a few million hunter-gatherers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    If you're talking about us reverting to Hunter-gatherer lifestyles, the Earth doesn't have enough resources to sustain 7 billion humans. It can barely sustain a few million hunter-gatherers.
    Earth has more than enough resources for 7 billion humans. It has resources enough for more than 7 billion. There literally could not be that many humans if Earth did not have the necessary resources to support that many.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

“Customs are generally unselfish. Habits are nearly always selfish.” -- GK Chesterton

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    I think 2 weeks in the middle ages during a time without civil unrest, outright war, famine or some kind of pandemic going on would be an amazing vacation to go on.
    However, living without the perks of modern life indefinitely is not something I'd be willing to do.
    COULD I do it?
    Well, maybe, if I had to. But if I had to live my entire life working daybreak till nightfall just to survive, freezing my ass off in the winter and without access to the internet, penicillin or even tomatoes - fuck that shit.
    I love that tomatoes made your top three list. And I agree - living without modern conveniences that we've grown accustomed to - even take for complete granted (running hot/cold water) - would be very difficult, and I would pass.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Earth has more than enough resources for 7 billion humans. It has resources enough for more than 7 billion. There literally could not be that many humans if Earth did not have the necessary resources to support that many.
    Thats because we moved from hunter gatherers to agriculture. 8 billion chickens are consumed each year in the U.S. We would have hunted everything to extinction hundreds of years ago without farming.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure I could but fuck if I want to.

I suppose if you are a man you could be quite happy with a modern take on the traditional lifestyle.

If you are a woman, 90% chance you'll say hell no. But there are some woman that just want a simple family life.

You have to give merit to the traditional lifestyle for its simplicity. A lot of the modern stress over "what do I want to do with my life?" What to study in school, what career, trying to find the "perfect" partner, credit and debt, hell even deciding what to eat today, all those are things you don't really worry about.

If you talk to older grandparents, many of them will tell you how their life had a natural trajectory to it and they just kinda accepted their lot in life, which sounds sad to some but with the right mindset is much easier. Current psychological research tells us that all the stress in making a choice is in worrying about making the wrong one, not in the decision itself and dealing with w/e consequences.

Deleted
    80%-90% of this forum would already be dead/never been born, if we would live by medieval (or even 19th century) standards.

Antibiotics eliminated evolution and natural selection for humans.

Looking at the link, it seems like the question is asking about a society in which greater emphasis is placed on tradition and custom, rather than individual choice.

To phrase it another way, instead of making choices for yourself, you let people who died before you were born decide what you're going to do with your life, regardless of what circumstances may have changed since that time.

I have little patience for tradition when it comes to any sort of major decision as it is, the only possible circumstance under which I would even consider such a society is if there was hard proof that the traditions in question were the absolute best possible method for life. That does not include any of the following:
    -"My religion says this is the way to live."
    -"It was good enough for my Grandfather/Ancestors"
    -"I haven't thought of anything better"

Damn normies.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

I could because I'm gifted, unlike you bunch of mana addicts.

Doesn't all the holidays fall under tradition? Who here says no to Christmas, New Years, Halloween, Thanksgiving...etc?
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-09-28 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As in surviving by picking berries and hunting in a forest? I could... but I wouldn't!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.