Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Fuck the UN.

Yeah I'm not paying shit.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Remember how Family Guy's Cleveland got rice krispy treats? Rice krispy treats all around!

Why only the US? Why not Africa too? They participated.

About the present, why no reparations for slain white people?

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    And your hazard guess would be wrong. It is the direct result of lower/no wages through denial of employment during the 20th century and complete wage confiscation during the era of US slavery.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be a bill that would be debated in the HoR and Senate and signed by the president, so it would be a de facto representation of all US persons repaying and apologizing to the progeny of hundreds of years of rape, enslavement, lynching, redlining, segregation, and deliberate generational impoverishment and incarceration.
    And your second post is why I can never take reparations seriously. And welcome everyone to laugh at the joke it is.

If even one cent is payed out by the government, it's taking money from people so far fucking removed from slavery to people so far fucking removed from slavery. No sense there. Topped off with the number of people with slavery lineage will surge if it means free money.

So i understand countries like Turkey , UK , France all the persian descendants , Mongols are going to pay reparations to every one they hurt in the past ?? Not to mantion that all the middle east take part in Slave Market . And BTW isn't the UN now lead by ROFL Saudi Arabia ???Rofl The irony here.
    Last edited by Sodia; 2016-09-28 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Remember how Family Guy's Cleveland got rice krispy treats? Rice krispy treats all around!

Why only the US? Why not Africa too? They participated.

About the present, why no reparations for slain white people?
    Because only black people suffer. Pay no mind to the Chinese corpses the railroads were built on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    And your second post is why I can never take reparations seriously. And welcome everyone to laugh at the joke it is.

If even one cent is payed out by the government, it's taking money from people so far fucking removed from slavery to people so far fucking removed from slavery. No sense there. Topped off with the number of people with slavery lineage will surge if it means free money.
    You don't even take modern day oppression of black communities seriously, why should you start with basic US history?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

You don't even take modern day oppression of black communities seriously, why should you start with basic US history?
    "Oppression".

Im all for paying, if they promise to go back to their own countries.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    "Oppression".
    I rest my case.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    The history of slavery in the United States justifies reparations for African Americans, argues a recent*report by a U.N.-affiliated group based in Geneva.
    Why? I mean seriously, the slaves are long dead, their descendants live in America not Africa so they have personally profited from the slavery.

IIRC wasn't America one of the first countries to follow Britain's lead in combating slavery? We literally had to pay some countries to ban it, they are the ones anger should be directed at.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Why? I mean seriously, the slaves are long dead, their descendants live in America not Africa so they have personally profited from the slavery.

IIRC wasn't America one of the first countries to follow Britain's lead in combating slavery? We literally had to pay some countries to ban it, they are the ones anger should be directed at.
    That isn't remotely true. Millions of African Americans are still locked into generational poverty because of racist and segregationist policies of the past. This is another fallacious "Hurr durr dey should be thanking us hurr durr" post.

And your hazard guess would be wrong. It is the direct result of lower/no wages through denial of employment during the 20th century and complete wage confiscation during the era of US slavery.
    Based on what evidence? Also, how is that home wealth disparity is almost always geographically based and seems to effect all races equally when you control for it?
    http://www.citylab.com/work/2013/12/...corridor/7872/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._and_ethnicity

Had a look around online, every source I can find with actual data says the important factors are home ownership and education. The first being a state wealth issue, the second also being state wealth mixed with culture attitudes:

http://iasp.brandeis.edu/pdfs/Author...thgapbrief.pdf
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashi.../#76397c026c5b
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    That isn't remotely true. Millions of African Americans are still locked into generational poverty because of racist and segregationist policies of the past.
    Q: Would they be worse off in Africa?
    A: Yes, by a large amount.

Deleted
    The UN make me laugh really, what do they even do? They have a HUGE employed force of people who basically dont do anything useful? And have no power?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Based on what evidence? Also, how is that home wealth disparity is almost always geographically based and seems to effect all races equally when you control for it?
    http://www.citylab.com/work/2013/12/...corridor/7872/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._and_ethnicity

Had a look around online, every source I can find with actual data says the important factors are home ownership and education. The first being a state wealth issue, the second also being state wealth mixed with culture attitudes:

http://iasp.brandeis.edu/pdfs/Author...thgapbrief.pdf
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashi.../#76397c026c5b
    http://www.demos.org/sites/default/f...ealthGap_1.pdf

Home ownership and education are directly attributable to segregated communities and restriction on homeownership of blacks due to racist neighborhood covenants and redlining, and this was for the black families that could even get a job that paid enough to get out of the segregated housing projects. Same story for education; blacks don't have the same generation educational attainment and progression as white populations because of segregated school districts that were (for obvious reasons) underfunded and ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    How are black communities oppressed in the US today? Blaming all your failures om everybody but yourself, does not mean your failures were due to anybody but yourself.

America is famously a country that provides more opportunity than just about any other nation, as long as you are willing to work for it. Most people aren't willing to work for it, so they fail and the US is not really set up to tolerate mediocrity.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Q: Would they be worse off in Africa?
    A: Yes, by a large amount.
    Look a soothsayer who can predict the individual outcomes of hundreds of millions of people over hundreds of years!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ays-u-n-panel/

Seriously, who are these fucking idiots anyways. So they recommend that because 6% of the white population in the south owned slaves (as compared to 30% of free blacks at the time), everyone has to pay reparations? Get real.
    Could not agree more. And we give them money to come up with this shit. If the UN wants to be relevant they need to work on relevant material. The racial divide in the United States is not good, and isn't getting better, but bringing up history from 150 years ago isn't going to help. We need to fix our problems today, not create new ones from the past.

What I found particularly troublesome was the statement
    as if punishing the vast majority of current US citizens for a perceived wronging they had no part in (many non-blacks moved to US after slavery was abolished) in order to pay the descendants of possible slaves is going to somehow not going to create an inhibition to social cohesion?
    Jesus, yeah - "here's a new tax on your income to pay for shit your ancestors had no involvement with, but their neighbors did. sorry you won't have money for that vacation you were plan

I have yet to see any serious character who think is this is a good idea other than an occasional professional race hustler. Since these people want to correct the past wrongdoings, how about reparations for all men as they were duped by Eve into taking a bite from the forbidden fruit.
    So, interestingly, did you see that Georgetown University is offering free tuition for any descendant of a slave that Georgetown University owned pre-Civil War? I thought that was a unique solution.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    How are black communities oppressed in the US today? Blaming all your failures om everybody but yourself, does not mean your failures were due to anybody but yourself.

America is famously a country that provides more opportunity than just about any other nation, as long as you are willing to work for it. Most people aren't willing to work for it, so they fail and the US is not really set up to tolerate mediocrity.
    Systemic racism in criminal justice system, quasi redlining due to the depressed nature of real estate in historically black neighborhoods make higher net worths impossible to achieve unless white gentrification, underperforming schools due to low property taxation, high rates of incarceration make it harder to be gainfully employed, high rates of drug abuse, criminal activity due to lack of economic investment and business activity in the area.