Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    Well, to be fair, it's less of not acknowledging what Illidan did and more of not caring about those. After all, if A'dal who was right on Outland didn't care about it much, why should Xe'ra? That's probably just how the Naaru is. I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard turn them into future antagonists after we've cleaned all the major bosses from the Legion / Void.
    I honestly believe that the theories about Naaru having factions that may not talk to each other -- or even get along -- could turn out to be true.
    Or at the least Xe'ra has simply decided to go rogue and make sure that we divert our time and energies to finding Illidan. This may even have not been the message she was sent to give us, but once she got here, things went so south at the Exodar with Or'os being destroyed that she decided to go with what she thought was the most important.
    In any case, I don't think Blizzard would have written such a ridiculously hamfisted approach to this. Yeah, I know -- it's Blizzard. But if they are really playing this thing with Xe'ra 100% straight, then it will be the worst such example of their story writing since Cataclysm.

However I refuse to denounce anything about the story until we're much farther in. With the Illidan and Xe'ra stuff, we haven't even gotten past the stuff we knew from beta.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    However I refuse to denounce anything about the story until we're much farther in. With the Illidan and Xe'ra stuff, we haven't even gotten past the stuff we knew from beta.
    You have to admit though that all the premature rage that sprouts out of the notion of "if I crapped on thing X, people will think that I am a very intellectual and deep person that settles for nothing short of 4.5/5 stars material" is really hilarious.

Things to cosndier.

Xe'ra contacting us is apparently somwwhat painful, which is not normal for Light aspected beings.

Xe'ra doing the same for Illidan had the opposite effect-Light aspected magic normally does not agree withhim, but he felt no pain.

Everything Xe'ra says-shittily enough as it is-, is completely divorced from what's being depicted.

The Warlock Hall states "This is the Heart of All Evil and Darkness in the uiniverse" suggesting there isn't just light comming from this heart.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Kalecgos View Post
    You have to admit though that all the premature rage that sprouts out of the notion of "if I crapped on thing X, people will think that I am a very intellectual and deep person that settles for nothing short of 4.5/5 stars material" is really hilarious.
    Yes. Intentional trolling on the part of the story team perhaps. That's probably too much to give them credit for but it is certainly a very funny side effect of this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Things to cosndier.

Xe'ra contacting us is apparently somwwhat painful, which is not normal for Light aspected beings.

Xe'ra doing the same for Illidan had the opposite effect-Light aspected magic normally does not agree withhim, but he felt no pain.

Everything Xe'ra says-shittily enough as it is-, is completely divorced from what's being depicted.

The Warlock Hall states "This is the Heart of All Evil and Darkness in the uiniverse" suggesting there isn't just light comming from this heart.
    Possible, but it is also possible, Xe'ra does not like us much and hurts us intentionally. I wouldn't put it past this particular windchime.

Quote Originally Posted by Diannak View Post
    who cares what that b* says it's what Illidan will do that matters
    Well, the statement of one of the oldest if not the first being in existence kinda tends to matter in a conflict that lasts eons .

Quote Originally Posted by Sylfaine View Post
    So we are just awful bastards now, ok !
    Hmm... yup! That sums up the WoW community in a nutshell.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Well, the statement of one of the oldest if not the first being in existence kinda tends to matter in a conflict that lasts eons .
    Not to mention that thing is sitting in the middle of my class hall, on a pedestal, just to show how important it is. Every time I go upgrade my weapon, it's there. I'm almost certain I heard it say "Lord Illidan had his artifact fully upgraded in two weeks and you aren't even halfway there".

I'd chuck it off a cliff, but noooo, then I wouldn't be able to hear its whining "guidance".

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    its says that about Lights Heart ? the shiny glowy thing ?

if so it would be Void Lord made

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos View Post
    There is a difference between being radical, doing extreme things in Warcraft 3, and turning into a one-dimensional villain with designated insanity in TBC. 'Illidan going bonkers' is not only an understatement, but a mis-characterization of who he was in the Warcraft 3 campaigns. You might question the ethics of his actions in Warcraft 3, but they were rational and consistent with his goals. TBC Illidan was entirely irrational.
    He was irrational because he was freaking bonkers.

Malfurion said this in Vanilla.

We are talking about a person that brags about not being killed by Arthas but just receiving a huge gaping chest wound that would have killed any non demon hybrid.

Tis but a flesh wound!

Also:
    Was sure nice of him to let Teron Gorefiend chill out in his temple, for some reason.

You're just lying to yourself if you think it was anything but character assassination that happened in TBC.
    The only "character assassination" that happened in BC was Kael'thas and Zul'jin, whose Raid Instance appeared just out of nowhere and the questgivers were a band off shady / stupid characters.

Vashj was just plain ignored as a character entirely but what little we did get from her played her out to be another one-dimensional evil loot pinata villain.
    Once Illidan was rescued, she showed 0 personality except for blind loyalty towards Illidan.

Could have Vashj received more story? Sure, but in Warcraft 3 she didn't show much personality.

None of these characters were evil characters in War3 and suddenly they all became one-dimensional villains with designated insanity.
    Illidan was grey at best during Warcraft 3, the only time he was "good" was when he helped to rescue Tyrande.

It was a heap of garbage and the fact that you're sitting here defending it is laughable.
    I wouldn't throw those stones around, because you are currently defending the "new direction" of the Illidan story.

The only difference now is that Blizzard has taken the see-saw and tipped it the other way. Funny how hardly anyone complained in TBC but now that they're being told they the characters did 'bad', it is causing an uproar.
    This goddamn discussion of "Illidan is just misunderstood! Why did we kill him?!" is happening ever since we turned his lights off in BT.

Rule No.1 of business - The customer is always right. Blizzard is telling the customer they are wrong. It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the story is good or bad. People just hate being told they were wrong and that's why everyone is whining about this in particular more than any other faulty story element in the game.

People are just spoiled brats
    The problem here going on is that a (near) Divine force told you to kill Illidan in BC, now a similiar (near) divine force tells you that you fucked up and hatred and evilness guided your actions, which is weird because the main reason we killed Illidan in BC was to free the people of Outland from his very evil grasp.

This whole discussion here would go different if Xe'ra would at least acknowledge this say and something "Yeah, he fucked it up, but it was for a greater purpose", instead she tells us that we were freaking idiots for taking orders from one of her kin.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Not to mention that thing is sitting in the middle of my class hall, on a pedestal, just to show how important it is. Every time I go upgrade my weapon, it's there. I'm almost certain I heard it say "Lord Illidan had his artifact fully upgraded in two weeks and you aren't even halfway there".

I'd chuck it off a cliff, but noooo, then I wouldn't be able to hear its whining "guidance".
    I "role-play" that my 4 horsemen are watching it closely on my order, because it's clearly damaged in the head or corrupted in some way.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Illidan was grey at best during Warcraft 3, the only time he was "good" was when he helped to rescue Tyrande.
    Not that I disagree with you about him being a grey character, but you're leaving out that whole thing where he killed Tichondrius thus driving the Scourge out of northern Ashenvale. Although you're likely going to try to discount this because of the Skull of Gul'dan, the fact remains that he did it and it was something good. Something quite good.

Deleted
    The warlock hall npc saying "this is the heart of evil and darkness in the universe" was talking about Dreadscar rift. It's due to the absurdity of the player bringing an artifact of absolute light in there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLDOOG View Post
    The warlock hall npc saying "this is the heart of evil and darkness in the universe" was talking about Dreadscar rift. It's due to the absurdity of the player bringing an artifact of absolute light in there.
    While they may very well refer to the Dreadscar Rift, it could also be for the sake of, dare I say it, humour. They say it's the heart of evil and darkness in the universe as in... you know, it's completely opposit to what they do and they could just say "What an evil thing you brought here, hiss! DO NOT WANT!"

Deleted
    I still don't understand why people take Xe'ra's word as the Word of God. This is the Warcraft Universe, even the fricking Titans are fallible.

Xe'ra wants what's the best for her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLDOOG View Post
    I agree. If the Light's Heart was really dark and evil, you would think that a warlock would rather say "Ooh! What a beauty! Let's study it further..."
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    I still don't understand why people take Xe'ra's word as the Word of God. This is the Warcraft Universe, even the fricking Titans are fallible.

Xe'ra wants what's the best for her.
    When Vol'jin was mouthing off to Alliance players in SoO patch, they could talk back to him and change his tune a bit. It wasn't a massive difference, but at least it made us feel that we're a bit more important than an NPC is treating us.

And that was pretty tame in comparison - this time, it's someone telling us that everything we did so far is meaningless compared to Illidan's fate. We saved the world multiple times, be it from Old Gods, Burning Legion or messengers of titans, but we can't even say a single word in our defense. No one else does, either, including the ones who asked us to do it. We just bow our heads and go "Yes, master Xe'ra, I'm sorry."

A new NPC coming out of nowhere and treating us this way would be annoying even if everything they said was true. When it contradicts all we have known so far and does it rather unconvincingly, it's even worse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    When Vol'jin was mouthing off to Alliance players in SoO patch, they could talk back to him and change his tune a bit. It wasn't a massive difference, but at least it made us feel that we're a bit more important than an NPC is treating us.

And that was pretty tame in comparison - this time, it's someone telling us that everything we did so far is meaningless compared to Illidan's fate. We saved the world multiple times, be it from Old Gods, Burning Legion or messengers of titans, but we can't even say a single word in our defense. No one else does, either, including the ones who asked us to do it. We just bow our heads and go "Yes, master Xe'ra, I'm sorry."

A new NPC coming out of nowhere and treating us this way would be annoying even if everything they said was true. When it contradicts all we have known so far and does it rather unconvincingly, it's even worse.
    Especially when everyone else around us is literally licking our asses and showering accolades all over us for our great deeds far and wide. We're being given new titles to reflect how fucking awesome we are. It's amazing.

And here's this god-damned former windchime, stripped to the core, with this annoying whiny voice, who refuses to address us with the respect we deserve and who is admonishing us like little children for something we did years ago when we were little more than scruffy murderhobos. Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    He was irrational because he was freaking bonkers.

Malfurion said this in Vanilla.

We are talking about a person that brags about not being killed by Arthas but just receiving a huge gaping chest wound that would have killed any non demon hybrid.

Tis but a flesh wound!

Also:
    Was sure nice of him to let Teron Gorefiend chill out in his temple, for some reason.

The only "character assassination" that happened in BC was Kael'thas and Zul'jin, whose Raid Instance appeared just out of nowhere and the questgivers were a band off shady / stupid characters.

Once Illidan was rescued, she showed 0 personality except for blind loyalty towards Illidan.

Could have Vashj received more story? Sure, but in Warcraft 3 she didn't show much personality.

I wouldn't throw those stones around, because you are currently defending the "new direction" of the Illidan story.

This goddamn discussion of "Illidan is just misunderstood! Why did we kill him?!" is happening ever since we turned his lights off in BT.

The problem here going on is that a (near) Divine force told you to kill Illidan in BC, now a similiar (near) divine force tells you that you fucked up and hatred and evilness guided your actions, which is weird because the main reason we killed Illidan in BC was to free the people of Outland from his very evil grasp.

This whole discussion here would go different if Xe'ra would at least acknowledge this say and something "Yeah, he fucked it up, but it was for a greater purpose", instead she tells us that we were freaking idiots for taking orders from one of her kin.
    The fact that you cite Malfurion as an objective source on Illidan alone is enough to discredit your argument.

TBC was one of my favorite expansions, but it had probably the worst lore of any expansion. It was nothing but character assassination across the board.

I'm defending the WC3 story here. The current Illidan is far more in line with his WC3 incarnation than the Illidan of TBC was.

If you want to criticize Xe'ra and the 'chosen one' I don't really have a problem with that but you are just clearly showing you have no understanding of the Warcraft 3 story or its characters when you say TBC portrayed them correctly.

The fact that you cite Malfurion as an objective source on Illidan alone is enough to discredit your argument.
    Not really.

Unless you state why, but Malfurions statement was rather specific and in line with Illidan in BC.

I'm defending the WC3 story here. The current Illidan is far more in line with his WC3 incarnation than the Illidan of TBC was.
    If you go by the Warcraft 3 storyline, you should realize that Illidans true goal was merely Might and Magic.

Never taken that for a goal that any person who always had "good intentions" in mind would follow, but that's just me.

Which also seemed in line with BC, because he basically ruled Outland and was looking for a way to control all water in Outland along with more Magic stuff (Ata'mal Crystals).