Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Stop saying there is nothing when you have no fucking clue if there is or not. Fact is that a lot of people have left during a short time, and that raises questions.
    People leave all the time. The only reason it's more visible now is because twitter exists. Otherwise no one would know. In the software development industry people don't stay for 10, 15, 20+ years very often. They pack up and work on new things. Your should be praising those who've stuck it out for so long instead of worrying about those who opt for change.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    Don't really care about that nick carpenter guy, but thanks for pointing me in the right way to find out about bonfire - was wondering what rob pardo was up to and this might be what I hoped for.

[...]
    Based in Irvine, Calif., Bonfire does not have a game in development yet. Mr. Pardo, 46, says it is safe to assume the company will make online multiplayer games, though he has not yet decided whether it will create them for mobile devices, PCs or both.
    [...]
    Mr. Pardo said his inspiration for creating a start-up with a small development team occurred while at Blizzard, during the making of Hearthstone, a digital card game that was a huge hit for the studio. At Blizzard, most game development teams were so large that some of the greatest challenges for Mr. Pardo, Blizzard’s former chief creative officer, were management oriented.
    [...]
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/12/te...t-up.html?_r=1

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    It's going to be a wow killer like wildstar
    Alarm bells starting ringing when i read "bringing back the social elements of an MMO"

Good luck trying to find 1 million paying customers that are willing to pay to play a chat room
    There is the sad paradox of a world which is more and more sensitive about being politically correct, almost to the point of ridicule, yet does not wish to acknowledge or to respect believers’ faith in God

Just read the news and after this thread.... i just love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
    Alarm bells starting ringing when i read "bringing back the social elements of an MMO"

Good luck trying to find 1 million paying customers that are willing to pay to play a chat room
    One would think--and I know that Pardo at least is a very smart guy who pays attention to the business--that there would be a basic understanding by now that the social elements of an MMO quickly go down the tubes once the game becomes relatively successful. Mainly because there are few enough people who are willing to be openly and unguardedly social with strangers in that environment after what they've experienced over the last X years.

I wish them luck because I deeply respect Rob and truly hope they find the key that makes large but bad communities better. Skeptical though. Very skeptical.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    One would think--and I know that Pardo at least is a very smart guy who pays attention to the business--that there would be a basic understanding by now that the social elements of an MMO quickly go down the tubes once the game becomes relatively successful. Mainly because there are few enough people who are willing to be openly and unguardedly social with strangers in that environment after what they've experienced over the last X years.

I wish them luck because I deeply respect Rob and truly hope they find the key that makes large but bad communities better. Skeptical though. Very skeptical.
    may be years before we really know how this story ends, but as you say, he is very smart. I would expect they end up with something that isn't necessarily even similar to a classic MMO structure at all. We aren't going back to 2006 - gamer society has moved on (I call it in general the ADD generation - younger people (and kids even worse) are conditioned to expect MUCH more frequent reward-stimuli in their recreation, be it a payoff point in a book, a joke or explosion or fight in a film (and no long dialogue!!), or a reward in a video game.). Can he find a way to offer a new approach to MMO-type games?

If there is an ex-wow team that can come up with a new angle on mmo-type games, this is it.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

In all fairness they weren't the ones claiming to be a wow killer, that was the disgruntled "hardcore" former wow players. Rift was the one that actually thought they could pull it off with those "we're not in azeroth anymore." advertisements.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

Maybe they believe player interaction going to crap is a function of something besides success. Maybe they think they can recapture the social feel of yesteryear's MMOs, even in today's market of easymode games with constant rewards.

The game need not recreate the punishing grinds or difficulty. It might be as simple as going back to multiplayer designs where you were part of a more small, fixed community of players (i.e. realm) and actions had consequences (no name changes, server transfers etc). Where you were stuck with the reputation you earned.

In that kind of environment you got to know the helpful, friendly people and felt less apprehension about becoming open and unguarded.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    In all fairness they weren't the ones claiming to be a wow killer, that was the disgruntled "hardcore" former wow players. Rift was the one that actually thought they could pull it off with those "we're not in azeroth anymore." advertisements.
    The devs said they wanted it to feel like wow used to feel.

They said they wanted to "do it right this time" implying that wow is wrong and that they can make a better game.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wil.../1100-6419736/

Deleted
    Look at Nick's instagram. His username is Nickcarpenter00. The guy is living the motherfucking life. He has a smoking hot girlfriend every other week, zooms around in Ferraris and Lambos, and travels to exotic locations around the world, while getting ripped in the gym... The guy just made the big bucks and wanted to retire early.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausingen View Post
    Look at Nick's instagram. His username is Nickcarpenter00. The guy is living the motherfucking life. He has a smoking hot girlfriend every other week, zooms around in Ferraris and Lambos, and travels to exotic locations around the world, while getting ripped in the gym... The guy just made the big bucks and wanted to retire early.
    You're clearly Nick Carpenter, tell us more.

With all the talents now at Bonfire studio, their first game better be amazing

Deleted
    WTF
    That looks so different than the nerd I know from interviews.

But the girl looks very average. Average face, average body.
    Last edited by mmocdf92b69352; 2017-05-07 at 09:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy Necro batman...........
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    WTF
    That looks so different than the nerd I know from interviews.

But the girl looks very average. Average face, average body.

He's not always with the same girls. Instagram has revealed so much about the people I 'thought' I understood. Nick Carpenter is just another multi-millionaire. Don't get me wrong, he's great at what he does, but it's pretty much $$$$ first, and whatever gives him that $$$ second.

Deleted
    He's not always with the same girls. Instagram has revealed so much about the people I 'thought' I understood. Nick Carpenter is just another multi-millionaire. Don't get me wrong, he's great at what he does, but it's pretty much $$$$ first, and whatever gives him that $$$ second.
    He seems very ego-centric and narcisstic in his posts. Talking about his "passion for excellence".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    He seems very ego-centric and narcisstic in his posts. Talking about his "passion for excellence".
    The people who really are in it because they 'care' never say it out loud. He does seem like a consummate narcissist.

Deleted
    it's not because with rob pardo they actually have someone on board who knows his stuff. he is the one who made blizzard great in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    Looks like it.
    https://twitter.com/FubarNick/status/775181536756924416

The director of Blizzard Cinematic Department, now works in the new Bonfire Studios, along with Rob Pardo.
    I think it worth mention, since this guy was responsible for the ALL Blizzard Cinematics.

I will miss your work, man. Hope, Blizzard's Cinematics won't drop in quality.
    Legion's cinematics are some of, if not the, best in the game's history and he had nothing to do with them. The sky is not falling.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Here's the thing why senior people leave a company:

Companies are big pyramids. At some point, you can't just get promoted, you need other people to leave to advance. Nobody wants to stagnate. So why not leave and join a company that is looking for something you want to be. And after you worked for Blizzard, you certainly won't have any trouble finding a job.

Staying on the same job for several years without gaining anything is a huge detriment. There's a reason that on software development jobs, employees only keep one job for 3-4 years.