Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Sweden seeks to bring back conscription in 2018

Sweden plans to reintroduce compulsory military service from 2018, eight years after it was abolished.

The Scandinavian country, which has not seen armed conflict on its territory in two centuries, ended conscription after it was deemed an unsatisfactory way of meeting the needs of a modern army.

“I hope that we are going to find a path to a more stable, robust and functional means of recruitment,” the defence minister, Peter Hultqvist, said.

The policy will affect Swedes born after 1999, according to a report by a former member of parliament for the defence ministry. The measure is expected to be adopted by parliament, subject to agreement between the leftist government and the centre-right opposition.

Approximately 4,000 18-year-olds of both sexes are expected to be called up each year.

The move was “an intelligent proposal given that we have seen for a number of years now that volunteers are not sufficient to supply either the quality or quantity of soldiers” needed, Johan Osterberg, a researcher from the School for Advanced Defence Studies, told the news agency TT.

Sweden is not a Nato member but has signed the organisation’s partnership for peace programme launched in 1994 to develop military cooperation between Nato and non-member countries.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...scription-2018

What are they thinking! That's plain madness.

I could see some serious mental health issues occurring for the 4000 who are chosen. In this day and age to be forced into serving.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is terrible they want to be able to have the manpower to defend their nation and preform basic military tasks.

The audacity.

It's not their fault enough people aren't voluntarily signing up.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What are they thinking! That's plain madness.
    It was one thing the all did the conscription, but the plane to only conscript a smale number? talk about unfairness.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    It was one thing the all did the conscription, but the plane to only conscript a smale number? talk about unfairness.
    No less unfair than one child being born into a rich family, while another into poor one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    I did my military service in Sweden during 2007-08 (the last generation of "forced" conscription), and this new form of conscription is going to work the same way it did back then. Basically, everyone of age has to show up for what is called "Mönstring" which is a 1-3 day test of intelligence, stamina and strength, as well as an interview by a psychologist, and the results will determine two things; whether or not you are fit for service, and if so what your designation will be.

After this compulsory testing has been completed, you will be (as I was) asked if you really do wish to join the swedish army. There are so few spots (four thousand now? Back in 2007 it was about ten thousand) that they do not have the time nor will to conscript anyone not willing to join.

TL;DR - if you do not wish to join, you will not be forced.
    Last edited by mmoc16fdd7436a; 2016-09-28 at 06:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    It is terrible they want to be able to have the manpower to defend their nation and preform basic military tasks.

The audacity.

No but people should have the right to refuse service and not be forced into it. While I believe each nation should at least have an army to defend itself(Most 1st world countries anyways). Forcing people via conscription IMO isn't the best way to handle it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

what are the benefits for joining the swedish military? in america they often have to turn people away cause so many want to join for the benefits.

I don't see a problem with this.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account

The audacity.

It's 2016. Sweden doesn't need to force its citizens into the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's 2016. Sweden doesn't need to force its citizens into the army.
    They do if nobody is signing up.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    what are the benefits for joining the swedish military? in america they often have to turn people away cause so many want to join for the benefits.
    None. I made about 10 bucks a day, and no employer has ever asked for my records. It's strictly for the people who want to do it (during the 90's and earlier, it was a whole different story).

Deleted
    Good!

Maybe military service will make real men out of these lib-cuck betas.

On the other hand it's Sweden, so...

Infracted - Nation Bashing
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-09-28 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilobyte View Post
    None. I made about 10 bucks a day, and no employer has ever asked for my records. It's strictly for the people who want to do it (during the 90's and earlier, it was a whole different story).
    well that could be the problem then..

Deleted
    well that could be the problem then..
    Wasn't a problem before mandatory conscription was abolished. During my stay, in my (platoon? squadron? don't know the english equivalent) of about 300 people, there was not a single one who didn't want to be there. Only the ones who specifically said they wanted to go were sent, even though the "try-outs" were mandatory.

Swedens army has such a tiny shit budget, with space for so few new soldiers, that they will not force people who do not wish to join to do so.

15+ Year Old Account

The audacity.

A first world country in the modern age has no need for "defending their nation" - we're above such nonsense nowadays.
    Forced military service IS an audacity and has no place existing anywhere that isn't a crisis area.
    And sure, its not their fault that people have common sense and don't want to volunteer for the military, still no reason to force conscription. If nobody volunteers, even more of a reason not to conscript - it's just an assault on your own population at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Blizzard didn't have any problem killing Kael'thas, Illidan, Kael'thas, Lady Vashj, or even Kael'thas.

Deleted
    good on them. they should make all the immigrants that come to the uk do 2 years national service & see how many would come then.

Deleted
    I'm not sure if any country offers special benefits for conscription though? At least in Finland you only get a small amount of money (between 5-12€) per day during your service and it doesn't give you any other benefits for employment etc.

Here you get to pick from: Military service (up to 347 days), Civil service (always 347 days) or jail. Mandatory for men only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    Good!

Maybe military service will make real men out of these lib-cuck betas.

On the other hand it's Sweden, so...

Infracted - Nation Bashing
    I feel people who say this are the first to run scared.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    No less unfair than one child being born into a rich family, while another into poor one.
    its more goverment need money but only tax a smale random number of peopel.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilobyte View Post
    I did my military service in Sweden during 2007-08 (the last generation of "forced" conscription), and this new form of conscription is going to work the same way it did back then. Basically, everyone of age has to show up for what is called "Mönstring" which is a 1-3 day test of intelligence, stamina and strength, as well as an interview by a psychologist, and the results will determine two things; whether or not you are fit for service, and if so what your designation will be.

After this compulsory testing has been completed, you will be (as I was) asked if you really do wish to join the swedish army. There are so few spots (four thousand now? Back in 2007 it was about ten thousand) that they do not have the time nor will to conscript anyone not willing to join.

TL;DR - if you do not wish to join, you will not be forced.
    What is the new plan exacty ? Ask everybody of those in good condition and choose the best 4000 ? seems not so mandatory then except the mandatory test.