Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    What is the new plan exacty ? Ask everybody of those in good condition and choose the best 4000 ? seems not so mandatory then except the mandatory test.
    Exactly that. And, if one of those top 4000 do not wish to join, they are bumped down the ladder of how "good" they are, as an unwilling soldier is next to useless, and in some cases even dangerous. Rince and repeat until you have 4000 willing soldiers, which isn't at all difficult to scrounge up in a country like Sweden with such a large percentage of youth.

Anecdotal evidence, from me; had several mates back in 2006 who wanted nothing but to join the army with the rest of us in 2007, but they didn't make the cut and were denied even though medically there was nothing wrong with them. If there's a surplus of willing, able soldiers, why force others?

Sorry, I'm starting to repeat myself.
    Last edited by mmoc16fdd7436a; 2016-09-28 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoat View Post
    A first world country in the modern age has no need for "defending their nation" - we're above such nonsense nowadays.

This is the biggest crock of shit I've ever read.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilobyte View Post
    Exactly that. And, if one of those top 4000 do not wish to join, they are bumped down the ladder of how "good" they are, as an unwilling soldier is next to useless, and in some cases even dangerous. Rince and repeat until you have 4000 willing soldiers, which isn't at all difficult to scrounge up in a country like Sweden with such a large percentage of youth.

Anecdotal evidence, from me; had several mates back in 2006 who wanted nothing but to join the army with the rest of us in 2007, but they didn't make the cut and were denied even though medically there was nothing wrong with them. If there's a surplus of willing, able soldiers, why force others?

Sorry, I'm starting to repeat myself.

Well, the mandatory term seems to shrink down to "who is coming to the test anyway". Would sweden force someone to appear to the test as long as a reasonable amount of young ppl attend ?

Guess that explains why they wanted so many migrants.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    It's not their fault enough people aren't voluntarily signing up.
    Doesn't that just mean the incentives aren't enough? (Pay/Benefits/College Subsidizing)

If people aren't voluntarily doing something, isn't it smarter to solve the root issue of why they aren't?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    This is the biggest crock of shit I've ever read.
    Sverige is neutral and was not attacked in 200 years. Just remember: the world out there doesnt consist of USA only.

Deleted
    A better option is to increase the pay and benefits for volunteers, conscripts make poor soldiers.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...scription-2018

What are they thinking! That's plain madness.

I could see some serious mental health issues occurring for the 4000 who are chosen. In this day and age to be forced into serving.
    Israel does it. A number of other countries require some form of military service.

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    Good!

Maybe military service will make real men out of these lib-cuck betas.

On the other hand it's Sweden, so...

Infracted - Nation Bashing
    And the greatest irony of this post is this:

The right-wing government abolished conscription, and now the left-wing government seek to re-introduce it. So much for the "liberal cuck SJW agenda".
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    what are the benefits for joining the swedish military? in america they often have to turn people away cause so many want to join for the benefits.
    The probelm is as a civilian in Sweden you already have "free" education and healthcare, and social welfare that ensure you have a place to live and food. Work as a soldier is a "low pay" work in Sweden, not super low pay, but not in proportion to that you work nights weekends etc. You do not get "perks" in the civilian life becuse you are a soldier, you are a soldier, so was I in the conscript army, so I am not impressed. It might change as the conscript generations start to die off.

Deleted
    The current situation in the world is definitively heating up. Who knows what might happen. Better safe than sorry

Deleted
    Well, the mandatory term seems to shrink down to "who is coming to the test anyway". Would sweden force someone to appear to the test as long as a reasonable amount of young ppl attend ?
    Yes, the test is forced, and skipping out on it is punished severely. You will be called back via letter for the next opportunity to take the test, and if you miss the second one as well, you will be arrested for "desertation during peacetime".

One thing to note with all this though, is that sweden does not have an offensive military force active anywhere in the world. We are part of what is knows as the Nordic Battle Group, a "peace enforcing" force used around the world. They are only made up by professional military, and not conscripts.

Military conscription in sweden is basically a 1 year long boot camp. After this, you may chose to join as a junior officer to either train new recruits, or join the military academy to become a senior officer and from there either continue training troops, or sign up for the Nordic Battle Group, or you can just leave.

The only time someone who's only been through the conscripted 1 year basic training would actually be called into active duty after that 1 year is up is if sweden is actually dragged into war, which, as previously stated, has not happened for over two hundred years.

People are throwing a fit over nothing.

(edit regarding my first point: during 2005, 32 people were sentenced to prison for bailing from the mandatory test)
    Last edited by mmoc16fdd7436a; 2016-09-28 at 07:45 PM.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    The current situation in the world is definitively heating up. Who knows what might happen. Better safe than sorry
    Simple question then: are you willing to join the army without any complaints ? No "only if..., why me, but but.." ?

Deleted
    Simple question then: are you willing to join the army without any complaints ? No "only if..., why me, but but.." ?
    nope. I am a coward :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Guess that explains why they wanted so many migrants.
    It's kinda, more the opposite. Neighbouring countries are preparing for the collapse of Sweden in the near future. The reason Sweden is thiking about bringing back conscription and reverting some other policies is because they might in the near future need these people to hold a weapon and know how to use them.

It'll be interesting the watch the next 5-10 years in Sweden and what'll come out of it. The entire thing is about to collapse in on itself.

7+ Year Old Account
    It works exactly like in Bolivia then. Except from what I read the "try out" doesn't last a year.

I could see some serious mental health issues occurring for the 4000 who are chosen. In this day and age to be forced into serving.
    Yeah, I'm sure they'll get PTSD from basic training.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I'm looking at it from the USA standard of military where 3-5 years gets you a lot of benifits but if it's not like that then idk. I don't really see the issue with compulsory service, gets a little bit of discipline into the generation.

It's good to see at least one European nation take responsibility for their own defense, instead of relying on the US to provide it for them. You guys might also want to look in to arming boats, planes, and trucks. There is a lot of stuff that has changed since you last were relevant militarily. Some nations are actually delivering bombs via rockets. It's a magic time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    Go enlist for your country then if you feel that way.