Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    This is the biggest crock of shit I've ever read.
    Yeah, listen to the warmongering Nation that has been at war for most of its existance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspire View Post
    Maybe I'm looking at it from the USA standard of military where 3-5 years gets you a lot of benifits but if it's not like that then idk. I don't really see the issue with compulsory service, gets a little bit of discipline into the generation.
    Oh please, its bad enough people think schools are indoctrination centers.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    It's good to see at least one European nation take responsibility for their own defense, instead of relying on the US to provide it for them. You guys might also want to look in to arming boats, planes, and trucks. There is a lot of stuff that has changed since you last were relevant militarily. Some nations are actually delivering bombs via rockets. It's a magic time.
    Why bother. Nobody is gonna attack us. Let the U.S. do world policing while we focus on economic growth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Go enlist for your country then if you feel that way.
    No I probably wouldn't be any real help at all ^^

Why bother. Nobody is gonna attack us. Let the U.S. do world policing while we focus on economic growth.
    Sweden isn't even in NATO, why should the U.S. protect you? Norway and Denmark, while being in NATO, both have conscription so they actually do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Sweden isn't even in NATO, why should the U.S. protect you? Norway and Denmark, while being in NATO, both have conscription so they actually do something.
    He's Canadian.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    There is a lot of stuff that has changed since you last were relevant militarily. Some nations are actually delivering bombs via rockets. It's a magic time.
    Fun fact; sweden has the worlds oldest, still active cavalry (horses. we ride horses and fire guns. the official title is Dragoon. I'm not shitting you)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilobyte View Post
    Fun fact; sweden has the worlds oldest, still active cavalry (horses. we ride horses and fire guns. the official title is Dragoon. I'm not shitting you)
    Hopefully it's just a ceremonial regiment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    good on them. they should make all the immigrants that come to the uk do 2 years national service & see how many would come then.
    You really want the military to have entire squads that would sooner join the enemy than fight them?

Deleted
    During the last 200 years of peace time, yes, but still an active military branch on paper (though if someone tries to actually deploy them I reckon that officer would get a rather swift demotion back to private)

Last time they were active in wartime was patrolling the border during WW2, though no combat was seen

15+ Year Old Account
    I see no problem with this if they change the starting time. I mean if it starts in the middle of a semester it is really weird. It should start at the beginning of it so people who are going to university don't have to pause their program and just get the option to start it after conscription.

Deleted
    We have the same thing in the form of the Horseguards and Horse Artillery, the current record for a confirmed kill for a sniper is held by a Horseguard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    This does not make sense a nation of cca 10 millions of people is planing to conscript 4000 people of both sexes per year? Thats is just odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    This does not make sense a nation of cca 10 millions of people is planing to conscript 4000 people of both sexes per year? Thats is just odd.
    Educational puposes I presume, draft ppl for duties to educate others.
    Thats what I got drafted as at the end of conscript time cos they knew it would end.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Educational puposes I presume, draft ppl for duties to educate others.
    Thats what I got drafted as at the end of conscript time cos they knew it would end.
    Not sure I understood you correctly, but i did not wonder about what those drafted would do, but about the number. 4000 seems a ridiculously low number. How are they going to pick that number?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Not sure I understood you correctly, but i did not wonder about what those drafted would do, but about the number. 4000 seems a ridiculously low number. How are they going to pick that number?
    Vet anybody ( ok, except those already injured) of certain age and look for the best 4k.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Vet anybody ( ok, except those already injured) of certain age and look for the best 4k.
    That seems very, well unfair and if this is the case, people who dont want to be in the army will simply intentionally do badly on the physical test (other tests too if they are some), which will result in only those who want to be in the army to be admitted. In which case we are bad to where we were before conscription was reintroduced.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's 2016. Sweden doesn't need to force its citizens into the army.
    If no one is signing up what choice do they have? Also the year it is currently is irrelevant when it comes to needing a functioning military.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    No but people should have the right to refuse service and not be forced into it. While I believe each nation should at least have an army to defend itself(Most 1st world countries anyways). Forcing people via conscription IMO isn't the best way to handle it.
    I agree there may be a better way to go about it but when you literally aren't getting enough volunteers for it normally what option do you have? Perhaps make it worth their time. Make it so they don't have to pay their taxes for 4 years after they are out or something. Idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoat View Post
    snip
    Bahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

To be so ignorant. Must be nice.

Humans haven't suddenly evolved in the 70 years since WW2. To think otherwise is idiocy. But that's what I find a lot of here on mmo-champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    Doesn't that just mean the incentives aren't enough? (Pay/Benefits/College Subsidizing)

If people aren't voluntarily doing something, isn't it smarter to solve the root issue of why they aren't?
    Yeah absolutely. They need to figure out why people aren't going that route. Once they do they prolly won't need the conscription. That would be my guess anyways.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    They do if nobody is signing up.
    I disagree. Being forced to fight for something you don't believe in is a disgusting proposition. I suggest mass civil disobedience to resist conscription anywhere. When a nation's jails start to burst at the seams with people unwilling to comply with conscription, the matter will solve itself.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    Go enlist for your country then if you feel that way.
    Been there. Done that.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis