Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    There is an artifact power catchup mechanism already. It's called artifact knowledge.
    That is per character and is not a catch up for another character. And is currently for the later traits on your weapon due to the amount needed per trait as you progress. How do you not know this?

Deleted
    What's the content you are aiming at?

If you are not aiming at mythic-raid-progression... why not?

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    That is per character and is not a catch up for another character.
    it does have a catch-up mechanism of orders taking less time the more behind you are nevertheless.

And beyond that; OP says the other character is almost up-to-date on the alt concerning it.

Deleted
    I joined a guild before the pre-patch. I wanted to play an Ele shammy but the guild already had a core member re-rolling to Ele. I then asked about DH's and was told only one person is interested and it was a tank. So I went for it. Later down the line, that Ele shammy decided to change to a Mage and we also ended up within 3 Havoc DH's. I mained my DH until Sunday passed. Last night was when I officially switched to shammy and raided with it. I did however try to keep on top of my Ele while playing the DH but it was not easy. My artefact is only level 18, but with a third relic, and a total ilvl of 851 now. We are not a hardcore bunch. Only 5/7 HC in NE.

Is it possible to re-roll? Yes. Will it be easy? No.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    That is per character and is not a catch up for another character. And is currently for the later traits on your weapon due to the amount needed per trait as you progress. How do you not know this?
    I do not "know" what AK is intended for because I think otherwise. AK allows alts to catch up provided you get them to level 110 early.

It should not be too hard to reroll now, especially from a DH to a monk. You say your monk is only slightly behind your DH, so I don't see the big issue. There are plenty of people that rerolled after the balance patch, even in very high-end guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    And spec changing because of AP you are really stuck with a main and one spec.

Besides that from what I have read here and elsewhere it seems that no one is happy with any class or any spec except maybe the Demon Hunter so the grass is not necessarily greener.
    That's not really true regarding specs. I got one spec to 19 traits (which is two gold dragons plus a couple more traits), and another to 15 and I'm playing pretty casually. You can get 13 traits in like an hour if you're up to date on artifact knowledge. Depending on the spec that might be good enough; I know some specs get their second gold dragon later than others.

Regarding playing alts or rerolling as a whole? I think it will take some time certainly. I was hoping AK would be account-wide to allow for this, but as far as I know, that's not the case.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyholic View Post
    Hi there!
    I started playing legion on launch day and got equipped, got nightfallen rep, artifact power, AK and such.

At the same time, i leveled my monk and got order hall quest line done and Artifact Knowledge nearly up to date (slightly behind the main).

The diference between both characters remains then on the artifact power and ilvl, I havent spent much time playing the secondary character.

I realised I completely enjoy playing my monk as I find it challenging, whereas I find my main (DH) is kinnda boring. And so, the obvious question comes:

Is it possible to reroll under such circumstances? How will it affect my raiding performance? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!
    Psyholic.
    Well that depends on alot of factors where ilvl has the lowest impact. Raid have only just started so the itemlevels are still mythic dungeon level. If you can get a couple of friends. Lets say other 4 decently geared lether wearers to run them with you and give you all of the extra gear ilvl is no problem.
    Artifact power is an issue of bigger proportions but since you have artifact knowledge it's not going to be a problem. My alt was on par with my main in research and it took him 4 days to get 1 trait less than my main. If you have no research i suggest you level up and reroll when your research is high.
    The highest impact of all the factor is how much you love playing the game with your class. For instance a guild based on playwhatyouwant but play it good (witch is 99% of the guilds) will deal with you rerolling having 20% less damage for 2 weeks and then having the same one for the next 4 months, then have you play your main and then leave after 3 weeks cause you are sick of your class. I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    the nightfallen stuff is probably the shittest aspect of it. Unlocking those mythic dungeons and stuff on alts is single handedly the worst aspect of playing alts.
    Agreed. The AP and gear just eventually comes by playing. Nightfallen on the other hand is something you really got to commit to and grind away at the expense of most other game activities minus AP. You get a ton of that there.

Deleted
    it's very much possible to reroll.. But sure, your alt will be slightly behind, like it always is when rerolling.
    There are however catchup mechanics for artifact knowledge, which is the biggest problem when rerolling.. But in a few weeks, there won't be a noticible difference between your powerlevel if you continued on your current main or rerolled to your alt.

There is an artifact power catchup mechanism already. It's called artifact knowledge.
    Problem is, because it's time gated, you'll always be behind the people who started on launch day.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Monk is so much fun to play it might worth your time rerolling

Don't do anything in suramar except unlock world quests. Wait until your artifact knowledge catches up. Then do Suramar.

Your AP will be miles ahead of everyone else, despite being weeks late to the party.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I have never seen a WoW expansion that didn't have some form of catch up mechanic in later patches. People need to remember that this is 7.0, emphasis on the "0".

BC: Badge gear
    Wrath: Badge gear/ICC dungeons
    Cataclysm: Hour of Twilight Dungeons
    MoP: Timeless Isle
    WoD: Tanaan and Apexis Gear

Legion will have an artifact power catchup, I can almost guarantee it. Whether that means it becomes account wide in patch 7.2-7.4, or just have more ways to frequently get several thousand artifact power easily, it will happen.
    Sweet.

Everyone wait 18 months to reroll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyholic View Post
    Hi there!
    I started playing legion on launch day and got equipped, got nightfallen rep, artifact power, AK and such.

At the same time, i leveled my monk and got order hall quest line done and Artifact Knowledge nearly up to date (slightly behind the main).

The diference between both characters remains then on the artifact power and ilvl, I havent spent much time playing the secondary character.

I realised I completely enjoy playing my monk as I find it challenging, whereas I find my main (DH) is kinnda boring. And so, the obvious question comes:

Is it possible to reroll under such circumstances? How will it affect my raiding performance? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!
    Psyholic.
    Absolutely possible. I've gone through 3 alts this expansion and I've finally decided on my Hunter, which has been level 110 for a week.

First Char:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tmadbro/simple

2nd+3rd:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ataii/advanced
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aurus/advanced

Actual Main I dinged on last week:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aurus/advanced

As long as you can get a single Artifact Trait you can do well on essentially any class when played right, do what I'm doing and save your Saramaur clear until you get 2 research points into your Artifact Weapon, should net over 40-50k points for the entire thing (clear up to your training right away for the rep/AP). You can stay competitive on the meters and gear fast af if you know what you're doing. Just aim for that 3rd relic slot ASAP, the first thing you should do at 110 is get those 4-12 hour quests rolling. Don't let anybody tell you it's not viable to start over at the moment as it 100% is. I literally had 7/7 first on DPS in a NM clear I hosted last night, everybody had like 845-855 ilvl as well. It's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Don't do anything in suramar except unlock world quests. Wait until your artifact knowledge catches up. Then do Suramar.

Your AP will be miles ahead of everyone else, despite being weeks late to the party.
    This.

/10char

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Problem is, because it's time gated, you'll always be behind the people who started on launch day.
    True, but the difference is going to diminish over time. It may look like a big thing now and the switch itself may keep people out of raids righ now until they catch up. But they will.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    What's the content you are aiming at?

If you are not aiming at mythic-raid-progression... why not?

it does have a catch-up mechanism of orders taking less time the more behind you are nevertheless.

And beyond that; OP says the other character is almost up-to-date on the alt concerning it.
    Even if one is aiming at Mythic - the most recent race is already over

10+ Year Old Account
    This actually is not a bad time to reroll if that's your fancy.

We are only 1 month into the expansion. So if you reroll, think about it this way: it will take you 1 month to "catch up" to where your current toon is. You would, assuming you completely stop raiding your current toon, miss 4 weeks of Emerald Nightmare *at most*... and that's going to cost you pretty much nothing, because you will still have time to farm gear from it before Nighthold opens. I doubt we see Nighthold opening before January, honestly. I will be surprised if it opens sooner.

Anyway. You have plenty of time to catch up. And as far as I am concerned if you are going to skip grinding any raid zone for months, it may as well be EN, because there won't be true sets available until Nighthold's tier.

This.

/10char

- - - Updated - - -

True, but the difference is going to diminish over time. It may look like a big thing now and the switch itself may keep people out of raids righ now until they catch up. But they will.
    Absolutely, but that doesn't help people now. Is the catch up mechanic tied to character and account, or to the server?
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Absolutely, but that doesn't help people now. Is the catch up mechanic tied to character and account, or to the server?
    If i recall correcty: It's tied to your highest AK-lvl character.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, do it sooner rather than later. I levelled two characters together, and they're at virtually identical places in most aspects (the Mage has slightly better gear by virtue of being able to get into Mythics, unlike Warlock); I don't think gear in terms of item level is really the thing to worry about as there are so many sources. Artifact Power is probably the bigger 'problem'; that and grabbing Legendaries if your main has acquired such a thing already.