Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    A lot of people do not know what professionalism looks like. Many people think that businesses "want" the casual laid-back look, when, in-fact, the majority of places would not hire anyone based on this appearance. Things like the Apple vs PC commercials from the last decade come to mind, it's a sociological stereotyping that ultimately hinders people's view of what a professional looks like. People really do think that you can roll out of bed and wear virtually anything, with no grooming whatsoever, to a job interview.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I'll be damned the OP is a troll. Thank you for pointing this out !
    Maybe he is just a VVD voter(Conservative-liberal party).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    It's not about being honest, it's about showing respect for the interviewer.
    It's about showing you can make this huge fucking sacrifice of once in your life putting on a shirt that isn't ripped and pants that don't stop above your ankles.
    It's showing you care for the job you're applying for.
    I disagree.

That "respect" you are talking about is broken the very moment you got your job with your suit (from your words: respect) and the first day you come up with the sleveless shirts....and this is the face of the boss

What I say is :"If you dress up like X for an interview accept that you could (and will) be asked to dress like that (or not but its possible)".

If you cant accept that dont do it.

If you are not a guy who likes slevees in your shirts,if you are not gonna do it,if you cant do it...dont try to fool the interviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    Does the way they dress affect their work performance? Are they worse people because of the way they dress?
    It may not affect their performance, but I agree, if someone enters an interview dressed sloppy, weird ass hair, piercings, tattoos and so on -- well their paper goes right in the trashcan afterwards.
    Especially if its for a front desk job!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Zarupia View Post
    because buying a suit is expensive.
    No its not, its all about priorities -- otherwise rent a suit

I absolutely despise the idea that "you have to wear these clothes to meet society's expectations", or that you "show respect by dressing in ridiculously uncomfortable clothes"... When will we stop being so fucking superficial?

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    fair enough, however, someone competent, with experience, and/or even able to just articulate himself/herself will be able to pull of an interview and show that regardless of appearance, they are a good fit for the company. ... seen it plenty of times as i attend the random interview here and there as a company partner... some people just cant handle the pressure -- its really fun to watch how their behavior changes.

anyways, keep in mind im not saying dont wear one -- i have to wear them almost every other week for stupid firm social events as well as client meetings.... people outside upper managements levels shouldnt have to struggle to project an image that is not truly theirs.
    Oh it's entirely possible, like you said. I'm just saying that most positions have multiple candidates, and if two are close and one isn't dressed "appropriately" then the other will get it the majority of the time. If you're just that awesome and kill the interview and show you're a perfect fit, and no one else comes close, yeah it's fine...but that's a pretty rare situation and you don't know if you're going to do that, so why risk it? Just dress clean, it's stupidly simple to do...which is partly why so many people look so strongly at it. If you can't or won't do something so simple, what other simple and straight forward thing won't you do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuush View Post

No its not, its all about priorities -- otherwise rent a suit
    Still silly for it be required for standard jobs.
    But then again, i'm Dutch.

A suit and tie, is requisite for being a braindead lemming of the society.

Seriously, the office-uniform is the most intolerant of all codex.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    More than likely, yes. Depends what you're selling. I assume OP doesn't work for Hot Topic.
    Yes. I won't go in stores where employees are full of tattoos with skulls and piercings. They probably don't have what I want to buy seeing as I'm not in the market for skates, ink or visitation rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    I absolutely despise the idea that "you have to wear these clothes to meet society's expectations", or that you "show respect by dressing in ridiculously uncomfortable clothes"... When will we stop being so fucking superficial?
    Ask the Dutch, no suit culture here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Low paying jobs tend to attract the less desirable.
    Odd position. People who are better at their jobs and better paid earn themselves much more leeway in what they can get away with wearing. Low paid jobs on the other hand, are much stricter on dress codes and expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post
    Yes. I won't go in stores where employees are full of tattoos with skulls and piercings. They probably don't have what I want to buy seeing as I'm not in the market for skates, ink or visitation rights.
    And I'll go into a store based on what they're selling, not because I hold archaic prejudices against the employees.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Just had 5 interviews this morning (1 marketing/ 1 front desk) and it amazes me how some young people (in their 20's) present themselves in a job interview.

One guy had on some sort of loooong t-shirt, kinda pyjama like,with stripes.
    Another guy had a very wide neck on his T-shirt, that was also wrinkly and kinda torn on the edges (I think they sell them like this?) He also worre damaged skinny jeans with holes in them, which I also mentioned to him(your pants are damaged, what happened?) but he told me it's in fashion... >.>

Then there was a girl that had her arms exposed, which is of course no issue at all if they werent completely covered in tattoos. And I counted at least 3 skulls and some disturbing signs.
    Also had a girl with one side of her head shaved and sporting a nose ring and dressed in bright purple.

Luckily not everyone dresses this way to an interview and we had at least 2 girls that came dressed properly but it does make me wonder if these other candidates don't have parents, teachers or someone else in their invormenet that tells them how to dress for an interview.

So why can't some people dress proper?
    Because professionalism is lost upon the current teens and early 20 somethings. I blame liberals. aka Hipsters

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    And I'll go into a store based on what they're selling, not because I hold archaic prejudices against the employees.
    Its called "professionalism" something that you obviously can't grasp and then you pull the "archaic prejudice" card. If yo udress for business people can take you seriously- if you dress like you are going to a concert for a night of getting wasted...you leave doubts in people's minds. I know- it is a hard concept to grasp....

Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    It's not superficial, it doesn't have anything to do with the actual clothes you're wearing. It comes entirely down to you showing respect for the position and therefore to the employer and taking the whole process seriously. You don't have to dress like carbon copy suits. You just have to look clean, like you took the process seriously and prepared for the interview with more focus than you would going to the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Ask the Dutch, no suit culture here.
    good for you! Luckily the job I'm having has no dress code either, except for the occasional lab coat.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Excellent! We'll probably never meet in the same store, then. Result: Everyone is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by epLe View Post
    A suit and tie, is requisite for being a braindead lemming of the society.

Seriously, the office-uniform is the most intolerant of all codex.
    It's called "professionalism" Mr. Manbun.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Do you want them to buy it from the money from summer job when they are 16, and then try to apply for jobs mid school? Tell the recruiters it was your idea to buy a suit during school, and just hold the job for them a few years?

I'm not quite sure what's your great idea. Some part time job during school is barely going to pay your own living costs, and you want people buying suits instead of eating?

In my travels to another city, I regularly walk past a store that sells suits. You don't want to go there with little money during school. You couldn't buy a ticket in, let alone one suit.
    Wow, you're really making this not having a suit thing out to be a daunting problem.

Meanwhile another applicant has solved it. I think I'll hire that one. I need someone who can solve problems, rather than plumping them up into impenetrable barriers to success.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post
    Excellent! We'll probably never meet in the same store, then. Result: Everyone is happy.
    This ^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's not superficial, it doesn't have anything to do with the actual clothes you're wearing. It comes entirely down to you showing respect for the position and therefore to the employer and taking the whole process seriously. You don't have to dress like carbon copy suits. You just have to look clean, like you took the process seriously and prepared for the interview with more focus than you would going to the grocery store.
    I have no problem with being clean, obviously basic hygiene is important, but that's not what suit culture is about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    It's called "professionalism" Mr. Manbun.
    it is a problem that it's called "professionalism"... It's exactly the problem.