Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    And this is the problem, all of these responses like "well if I were the interviewer..."

Unfortunately it doesn't matter. Either you can look nice and presentable for an interview or you can not. That's YOUR choice. The interviewer, however, is either making a decision to spend his/her own money on you or has hired someone in HR to make that decision. And if you want a job, you DAMN well better try to fit whatever is going to give you the best opportunity for landing that job.

The reality is that there are jobs for everyone, and for every way of dressing and etc etc. The reality ALSO is that for many jobs (typically the better paying ones but not always), the more professional of a look you're going to need.

If you guys want to sit and argue on the internet about what you should or shouldn't have to look like because you don't feel like dressing that way, then fine, just understand that's also directly affecting your prospects.

Once you start looking for a job, or get a job - you're on someone else's clock, payroll, and set of rules. You'd better join THEIR standard or keep looking elsewhere.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFrost View Post
    Again, I dont want them to buy it at 16. And you dont get a summer job / part-time job to eat, you get it to have some cash to spend when you are a teen. Im assuming that if you are underage or still in university you are being supported by your parents, since you dont have a proper job yet, but you can always work to get enough for whatever you may want to do that your parents wont pay for / cant afford (traveling abroad, buying a new phone etc).
    Well stop assuming. Parents exist who are complete asses, and won't support (rich or not). Parents also exist who live in poverty, and have no money to support. Not every situation is the same. People are not granted equal amount of money as they go to school.

Those who have to support themselves, their school, housing, bills and food out of little money during school + part time jobs are not going to be able to afford fancy suits. Or those on unemployment benefits after the school. Again, the money goes to simply surviving before that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    https://www.dressforsuccess.org/
    https://careergear.org/

also - you don't actualy need to buy a suit. you can buy coordinating jacket and pants, with a basic shirt, at salvation army and other thriftshops (and it will look close enough to a suit to pass). still requires some monetary investment, but... with above links, you may not need to make it until you actualy get the job and thrifshops will tide you over, in case your job requires you to keep wearing a suit.

not every interview requires this, but.. in case of certain professions - it helps a LOT. so...
    One doesn't necessarily need a suit, but the point was more that not everyone can afford one, unlike some people suggest it's no big deal to a person with no money.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-09-29 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post
    Funny how people are discussing suits in this thread when all the OP wanted as for people not to go to interviews like they went there straight out of prison or just woke up.
    Just wear a suit for an interview. It doesn't hurt. Doesn't mean you have to wear one to work everyday.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

You show your potential employers that you can look professional and presentable. I wore a suit to my interview, but wear smart casual in the office.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Just wear a suit for an interview. It doesn't hurt. Doesn't mean you have to wear one to work everyday.
    Why though? I'm a software developer, I wear whatever I feel like on the job. I'd wager I'd get some rather weird looks if I applied today for my company and then showed up in a suit. When even the interviewers are wearing sweaters with jogging pants because they can't be bothered, why should I? My track record and skills is usually enough to get me the job I want, with or without fancy suits.

I've only ever worn a suit once, and I really disliked it. To interviews I usually go in a nice button up shirt and some nice pants (not jeans). Its worked flawless every time so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    just wondering. Have you ever not purchased something because the person at the counter had tattoos?
    If I went to a business, and the emplyees looked like slobs, I would not shop there any more. Appearance can sway a customers decision to do business with a company. Some people dislike tattoos and will avoid a place if the employee they encountered was showing them.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    To play the devils advocate then: Why should people bother trying to look professional, if they have no chance in any case?
    Obviously where I work is a special case, any outsiders r turned away regardless y they r there b/c our client wants to keep the site as unknown as possible. Most other places if ur looking for an application a polo shit and pants r enough, long sleeve shirt and tie is more than enough for low lvl positions, a suit and tie for mid-high lvl positions r standard. Most places won't even consider u if u don't do the standard interview techniques. Suit n tie, cover letter, resume, etc. thank you letter after interview and what not.

When ur interview against many ppl u need to do everything u can to get hired.

Well stop assuming. Parents exist who are complete asses, and won't support (rich or not). Parents also exist who live in poverty, and have no money to support. Not every situation is the same. People are not granted equal amount of money as they go to school.

Those who have to support themselves, their school, housing, bills and food out of little money during school + part time jobs are not going to be able to afford fancy suits. Or those on unemployment benefits after the school. Again, the money goes to simply surviving before that job.

One doesn't necessarily need a suit, but the point was more that not everyone can afford one, unlike some people suggest it's no big deal to a person with no money.
    obviously not everyone can afford a suit. those things even on a very low end, on sale at JC Penney can be $100+ I'm just saying that even if you are very poor, you have options when it comes to dressing decently and cleanly for interviews. suit, or no suit. its more challenging, especially if your location sucks, but its not impossible. meanwhile, if you can afford full sleeve tattoo? you can afford a clean basic shirt and decent pair of basic pants. those things as long as you are not shopping designer, cost FRACTION of what full sleeve tattoo goes for, even if you buy new.

Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    Obviously where I work is a special case, any outsiders r turned away regardless y they r there b/c our client wants to keep the site as unknown as possible. Most other places if ur looking for an application a polo shit and pants r enough, long sleeve shirt and tie is more than enough for low lvl positions, a suit and tie for mid-high lvl positions r standard. Most places won't even consider u if u don't do the standard interview techniques. Suit n tie, cover letter, resume, etc. thank you letter after interview and what not.

Curious that. I've been up against lots of other applicants before, but I never got the vibe that the interviewer cared about anything besides the cold hard facts (track record, skills, personal projects, etc...) I'm a software developer though (non client facing) so that probably has a lot to do with it.

I have never even heard of that. Is it 2016 or 1916?

obviously not everyone can afford a suit. those things even on a very low end, on sale at JC Penney can be $100+ I'm just saying that even if you are very poor, you have options when it comes to dressing decently and cleanly for interviews. suit, or no suit. its more challenging, especially if your location sucks, but its not impossible. meanwhile, if you can afford full sleeve tattoo? you can afford a clean basic shirt and decent pair of basic pants. those things as long as you are not shopping designer, cost FRACTION of what full sleeve tattoo goes for, even if you buy new.
    Oh, I agree. I just wanted to throw some counter argument to some of the ones who say it's no big deal to buy a suit. It definitely can be a big deal to those who can't reasonably afford one.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-09-29 at 03:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account

Exactly. An interview is pretty much a competition to fill a position. Those who are the best prepared and did their homework on how to ace the interview and came prepared mentally and physically will be the top choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If I went to a business, and the emplyees looked like slobs, I would not shop there any more. Appearance can sway a customers decision to do business with a company. Some people dislike tattoos and will avoid a place if the employee they encountered was showing them.
    Never had any problem showing my tattoos or piercings, or coloured hair with customers. Quite the opposite if there ever was a reaction.

But then once upon a time, not employing minorities could be justified with the same shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how professional the job is. But if it is a professional business job, a thank you letter is a great bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    Why though? I'm a software developer, I wear whatever I feel like on the job. I'd wager I'd get some rather weird looks if I applied today for my company and then showed up in a suit. When even the interviewers are wearing sweaters with jogging pants because they can't be bothered, why should I? My track record and skills is usually enough to get me the job I want, with or without fancy suits.

I've only ever worn a suit once, and I really disliked it. To interviews I usually go in a nice button up shirt and some nice pants (not jeans). Its worked flawless every time so far.
    I highlighted and important part. you may not wear a suit, but you STILL make an effort to dress specifically for the interview. honestly, that's all that's being asked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Depends on how professional the job is. But if it is a professional business job, a thank you letter is a great bonus.
    Never heard of it. Never even heard of an employer taking so long over the decision of who to employ where getting a letter in would make the slightest bit of difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Never had any problem showing my tattoos or piercings, or coloured hair with customers. Quite the opposite if there ever was a reaction.

But then once upon a time, not employing minorities could be justified with the same shit.
    Depends on the place. Where I work, it is the exception. It is a high profile company, that allows personal expression and has nearly no dress code. But I still showed up to the interview with my tattoos hidden, and dressed for success.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Never heard of it. Never even heard of an employer taking so long over the decision of who to employ where getting a letter in would make the slightest bit of difference.
    It depends. If there are like 20 applicants, then that letter is worthwhile. Especially if it is a business position such as Project Management, Department Director, or Management.

I'm not sure what is so difficult about a polo shirt and a pair of pants. Add in a belt. You're at less than 30 bucks.

You don't have to be wearing couture clothing - just standard button up or polo type shirt is fine. Tuck the shirt it. Easy.

When I was in college it was pretty standard (less than 10 years ago), some places wouldn't even give u a 2nd thought if u didn't send a thank you letter after the interview. Usually it was for large corporations, Northrop Grumman etc.

I highlighted and important part. you may not wear a suit, but you STILL make an effort to dress specifically for the interview. honestly, that's all that's being asked.
    Yeah, a very small effort. Idk about you, but I don't class getting or washing my 20 euro shirt and my 20 euro pants as a significant effort. Truth be told, I'd rather not work at the places that require suits anyways, and lord knows there isn't a shortage of jobs for software devs.

Could also be that I don't want to be management, under no circumstances. So all this "dress for the job you want, not the one you have" stuff is irrelevant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post

I said for an interview, not day to day. I work for an engineering firm and most people dress like slobs, I still wore a suit to the interview. Now I just wear a button down and jeans.

Just because they can't be bothered, doesn't mean you shouldn't - it shows you're making an effort. Think of it in terms of WoW - it's min maxing, you wearing a suit might be that socketed gem or enchant that was just enough for the little bit extra DPS on the kill.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day