Thread: Motorcycles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Honda Shadow's are a good starter bike.
    The Pros of your choice:
    - gotta love the torque of a v-twin.
    - shaft drive requires significantly less maintenance than chain.

The cons of your choice:
    - kind of a heavy bike. Anything over mid 400lbs is a bit heavy imo.
    - Drum break on the rear.
    - 750cc is a bit "big" for a new motorcycle owner in my opinion. I'd go with a 500cc to 600c bike.

For your first bike, I would recommend not buying something brand new. Find a solid used bike.

Starter bike recommendations:
    Honda CB500
    Suzuki GS500

Also, if you are as new to motorcycles as you sound, take a riders safety course.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm already looking into the riders safety course for my state.
    $250 for ~15 hours and I believe it waives the state exam.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm already looking into the riders safety course for my state.
    $250 for ~15 hours and I believe it waives the state exam.
    Worth every penny

with a "rocket" between your legs, you cant be safe enough.

i'd go for a twin too if i were you, if you have some strong legs that is

Bike can be incredibly pretty but I'd never own one to use on the roads. I'm a huge fan of Cafe Racers and Street Fighters and the hybrids inbetween. But if I ever owned a bike, it would more than likely be something for offroad enduro, just to go exploring on.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

My first/current bike is 1400cc and I've been riding it for 4 years. Bigger bikes are fine as long as you ease on the throttle for a while.

Best thing you can do for yourself is take the Motorcycle Saftey Foundation course. The classroom portion is a little dry but they teach you some important stuff. For example, I had a friend who skipped the MSF and broke his foot because he didn't know not to lock his front brake. He locked it. Went down. Bike peg ended up pinning his foot.

You're gonna hear a lot of what these other posters are saying. They're dangerous. Don't do it. I can totally understand where they're coming from.

But there's a LOT you can do to minimize your risk. You have 3 big enemies when riding a motorcycle. Lack of confidence. Overconfidence. Other idiots on the road. The first 2 you can take care of yourself. You can't be mousy or scared with a motorcycle. But neither do you want to act like you're a big badass and you can't ever make a mistake. As for idiots on the road, if you've already been driving for a while you know some stuff. You have to be able to read a driver's behavior and predict if they don't see you and are gonna pull out in front of you. Or shift into your lane without really seeing you.

If you can do all of these things you're gonna be fine. Yeah, the other posters are right, you can't always predict everything and one day that dumbass could pop out of an intersection and T-bone ya. But that could just as easily kill you in a car too. Less likely than a bike for sure, but still very possible. That's a risk you're gonna have to live with like any other day.

I like the bike you picked. Cruisers are great to start with. If I were you I wouldn't buy a new bike. Buy a used one simply because you're very likely going to drop it a couple times. Maybe even skid out on some gravel once and it's gonna slide across the road. It happens to everyone. It's not a big deal but you're gonna feel like shit dropping $$ on a new bike and then scratching it up lol.

Anyway good luck. Hope I didn't preach too much. Oh and wear a helmet.

7+ Year Old Account
    I did my driver licence this year and bought an old Honda CB 600F Hornet. It is a quite light bike, lamb at low RPM's and beast at high RPM's. And I liked the classic naked appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire35 View Post
    My first/current bike is 1400cc and I've been riding it for 4 years. Bigger bikes are fine as long as you ease on the throttle for a while.

Best thing you can do for yourself is take the Motorcycle Saftey Foundation course. The classroom portion is a little dry but they teach you some important stuff. For example, I had a friend who skipped the MSF and broke his foot because he didn't know not to lock his front brake. He locked it. Went down. Bike peg ended up pinning his foot.

You're gonna hear a lot of what these other posters are saying. They're dangerous. Don't do it. I can totally understand where they're coming from.

But there's a LOT you can do to minimize your risk. You have 3 big enemies when riding a motorcycle. Lack of confidence. Overconfidence. Other idiots on the road. The first 2 you can take care of yourself. You can't be mousy or scared with a motorcycle. But neither do you want to act like you're a big badass and you can't ever make a mistake. As for idiots on the road, if you've already been driving for a while you know some stuff. You have to be able to read a driver's behavior and predict if they don't see you and are gonna pull out in front of you. Or shift into your lane without really seeing you.

If you can do all of these things you're gonna be fine. Yeah, the other posters are right, you can't always predict everything and one day that dumbass could pop out of an intersection and T-bone ya. But that could just as easily kill you in a car too. Less likely than a bike for sure, but still very possible. That's a risk you're gonna have to live with like any other day.

I like the bike you picked. Cruisers are great to start with. If I were you I wouldn't buy a new bike. Buy a used one simply because you're very likely going to drop it a couple times. Maybe even skid out on some gravel once and it's gonna slide across the road. It happens to everyone. It's not a big deal but you're gonna feel like shit dropping $$ on a new bike and then scratching it up lol.

Anyway good luck. Hope I didn't preach too much. Oh and wear a helmet.
    Thanks a lot for the feedback!

The more I read into this, the more excited I get!

Could you recommend some starting gear I could use? The course is asking for over-the-ankle boots and full-fingered gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    - 750cc is a bit "big" for a new motorcycle owner in my opinion. I'd go with a 500cc to 600c bike.
    No, absolutely not for a cruiser. I'm not saying start with a 1900cc monster, but a 750-950 is a perfectly reasonable starter size in this class of machine.

Center of gravity is so low on one of these they balance far better than even a rinky-dink 150cc trainer bike. The weight is only an issue if you drop it, and you're not gonna drop it because you're not an idiot. It's also got floorboards so you're not knee-dragging through a turn either. You're gonna drive it like a cruiser.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to ride. Sold both of my motorcycles within three months of working as an EMT after seeing a few people get crayoned across the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Aren't motorcyclists know as organ donors in the medical profession?
    Yes. And every person I know that rides I flat out ask them if they've officially filled out the donation form with the DMV.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    No, absolutely not for a cruiser. I'm not saying start with a 1900cc monster, but a 750-950 is a perfectly reasonable starter size in this class of machine.

Center of gravity is so low on one of these they balance far better than even a rinky-dink 150cc trainer bike. The weight is only an issue if you drop it, and you're not gonna drop it because you're not an idiot. It's also got floorboards so you're not knee-dragging through a turn either. You're gonna drive it like a cruiser.
    750cc and up is a lot of power for someone who has no experience with a bike. For learning, for safety, 500-600cc is far better.

I smashed my knee up real bad many moons ago riding. wouldn't do it again that's for sure. (the riding that is, well, or the smashing.)
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

10+ Year Old Account
    If I wanted to rent a bike for like a week or so... would that be feasible?

10+ Year Old Account
    If I wanted to rent a bike for like a week or so... would that be feasible?
    Yes, you can. Harley Davidson offers this service.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...nt-a-bike.html

Also, As a fairly new rider myself (6 months) I can tell you all that you should definitely take a motorcycle safety course before you do anything to see if you like it. They provide the motorcycle and all the other necessary safety gear for you. This class will waive your driving portion of the DMV and will provide you a discount for your motorcycle insurance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezing View Post
    Yes, you can. Harley Davidson offers this service.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...nt-a-bike.html

Also, As a fairly new rider myself (6 months) I can tell you all that you should definitely take a motorcycle safety course before you do anything to see if you like it. They provide the motorcycle and all the other necessary safety gear for you. This class will waive your driving portion of the DMV and will provide you a discount for your motorcycle insurance.
    The course is asking for over-the-ankle boots and full-fingered gloves.

Could you recommend any? I'm reading online that any wal-mart or such boot will do for the class. What do you think/recommend?
    Last edited by Colmadero; 2016-09-29 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account

Could you recommend any? I'm reading online that any wal-mart or such boot will do for the class. What do you think/recommend?
    Any boot will work. Big 5/walmart/ whatever works just fine for the class. I used some old steel toe boots I had laying around ( I don't recommend these because the weight makes it harder for a new rider to shift between gears)

The gloves that I used for the class were
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KK9&th=1&psc=1

My go to gloves now are finger less. I just prefer them because I like to have feeling in my finger tips when shifting/breaking and allows me to easily access my phone or any ID's without fumbling.

You don't drive a bike.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post

pretty much this. I have a suzuki c800 intruder, and it really does lack a bit of power but it is sooo comfortable and easy to ride.

- - - Updated - - -

Not about the US, but in the UK, for our tests, we are not allowed steel toe boots. I wouldn't recommend them any way, I find it difficult to "feel" the gears with them.

Fuck a motorcycle; what you want is a moped, man!

Those look pretty good. Not looking to get into something that can get me killed or maimed for life. More like something to experience and see if I like it.

If I do like it then I'll explore that further down the ever-twisting road that is life.
    Get a dirt bike to learn on first.

Deleted
    Junior doctors, the world over, politely ask that you take your two wheeled death mounts out at times other than peak hour. Or failing that you at least don't whine like a a fucking cry baby while your leathers are being cut off. If you weren't wearing them then they get to at least point at the flayed tissue "Dude be missing sommat!, guess what..." and you get a "sorta" pass... just don't whine
    Last edited by mmoc091e535458; 2016-09-30 at 12:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Just be careful, I lost my father and uncle to motorcycle accidents, neither one was their fault. This was before people had smart phones and distracting driving is at a all time high. People are morons, drive like you're invisible.
    Yeah, the near misses I have had are all due to the driver of a car not paying attention. You learn quickly to expect drivers to be stupid and be cautious around them. I myself have a Harley Davidson touring bike with all the bells and whistles on it. It's got 4 speakers and a MP3/cd player on it. OP you can't just rent one without a permit or license so if you want to drive one yourself start there.

Also sensing a lot of people who have never ridden a motorcycle in this thread are talking about how dangerous it is. Riding a regular bicycle is just about as dangerous. Most accidents are caused by another party.