Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    You keep missing the point, like all those who say buying a suit is no big deal. You can't afford to buy a suit, if you are unemployed, seeking for jobs (this costs btw) and have barely enough after bills to have some food on the table. Not every unemployed person deals drugs for money you know.
    I'm not under obligation to hire every unemployed person; I just need one. I'll pick that one from among the applicants who weren't daunted by the absence of an oxford and a pair of slacks.

I get it just fine. It's hard to get a job. It's hard to find the money for a new outfit when you're subsisting. Now get this: doing hard things is part of the package. It's nobody else's job to make sure you succeed, and not everybody starts from the same point, and it's not fair. Get past it or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    Curious that. I've been up against lots of other applicants before, but I never got the vibe that the interviewer cared about anything besides the cold hard facts (track record, skills, personal projects, etc...) I'm a software developer though (non client facing) so that probably has a lot to do with it.
    It does depend on where u go, but if its between u and another guy, professional dress can make the difference. Even where I'm at now, majority of the employees don't c the light of day or any customers yet the company has strict dress code and provides 11 uniforms (pants and shirts) that r cleaned weekly by an outside company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here are a few quick links to read through about how to prepare for an interview. This stuff is mostly common things to consider when preparing.

https://careerservices.princeton.edu...ing-interviews

http://www.monster.com/career-advice...ew-is-tomorrow

https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-u...erview-success

- - - Updated - - -

The only times I have not gotten the job after an interview is when the competition just flat out had more experience than me. Missed out on a great network admin job because the other top candidate had 30 years of experience and I had just gotten out of college. But the interviewer really seemed like it was a hard decision. He said my skills were definitely top notch, but the other candidate had a great back ground. He was very apologetic on his return call. Which was ok with me, because I landed an even better job afterward lol.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    When I was in college it was pretty standard (less than 10 years ago), some places wouldn't even give u a 2nd thought if u didn't send a thank you letter after the interview. Usually it was for large corporations, Northrop Grumman etc.
    Capitalism sure has a lot of funny things with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post

Just because they can't be bothered, doesn't mean you shouldn't - it shows you're making an effort. Think of it in terms of WoW - it's min maxing, you wearing a suit might be that socketed gem or enchant that was just enough for the little bit extra DPS on the kill.
    That really depends on the country or job, it could be seen as overdressing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    I get it just fine. It's hard to get a job. It's hard to find the money for a new outfit when you're subsisting. Now get this: doing hard things is part of the package. It's nobody else's job to make sure you succeed, and not everybody starts from the same point, and it's not fair. Get past it or get out of the way.

And this is why full capitalism does not work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never knew MMOC had so many people in hiring positions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    I just have a lot of experience with job interviews. I take them very seriously.

costs nothing for simple trousers,tie,shoes and a shirt. Probably less than that guy paid for his fake vintage look worn jeans alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Its like the anarco-capitalist community, all of them will somehow be in the upper positions in such a society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    costs nothing for simple trousers,tie,shoes and a shirt. Probably less than that guy paid for his fake vintage look worn jeans alone.
    Indeed. Thrift stores are a great resource for a quick outfit for an interview. Can get a whole outfit shoes and all for $20 or less.

Why is that so surprising?

People who typically go the extra mile are managers by virtue of merit (most of the time) and hardcore raiders mindsets are surprisingly similar. You go the extra mile and you do the research requisite the job you're doing. Which leads you to fan sites with the most up to date datamining information etc.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Its like the anarco-capitalist community, all of them will somehow be in the upper positions in such a society.
    Not me. I am a CSR for a software company. I don't make a large salary, but I make enough to be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Wow at least he's determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Not me. I am a CSR for a software company. I don't make a large salary, but I make enough to be happy.
    That's what it's all about imo.

I learned early on that in my area I could live happily on 30k which is less than I make now. So every dollar above that i spend on even more happiness.. Cruises etc. Every raise doesn't improve my base quality of life because that's factored in at around 27-30k.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Ondray View Post
    Didnt you hear? you have to be copy pasted clone with suit, short hair, pleasant face, be confident, stress resistant etc..
    If you cant be bothered to put some form of effort into an interview do not expect pitty. First impressions are everything, you are trying to ell yourself to your new potential employer . The harsh truth is that this stuff DOES matter to employers and regardless of if you think it shouldn't it does not change the fact that not how the world works.

So at the end of the day you just have to suck it up buttercup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    That's what it's all about imo.

I learned early on that in my area I could live happily on 30k which is less than I make now. So every dollar above that i spend on even more happiness.. Cruises etc. Every raise doesn't improve my base quality of life because that's factored in at around 27-30k.
    I absolutely agree. More money would be nice, but it's not necessary. Im happy with my job, and my out of work life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Capitalism sure has a lot of funny things with it.

- - - Updated - - -

That really depends on the country or job, it could be seen as overdressing.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is why full capitalism does not work.
    As a rule of thumb for life, it's better to over dress than under dress. Also, your signature makes Russia look like the only proliterat state out of every country... probably not far off
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Tumblr culture. Can't tell them how the world works. They think it should work the way they want it to. So there might be someone telling them and they're just not listening.
    I feel like I should be shocked by some of these responses but it makes me sad I am not. That people can't see you should dress well to sell yourself in an interview? That some people actually think they aren't being judged based on their appearance? Give me a break. The way you present yourself might not matter to you, but it will matter to others who have a say in affecting your life. Unless you're a million(billion)aire who can tell everyone to go fuck off, you may at least want to care long enough to get your foot in the door.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Just had 5 interviews this morning (1 marketing/ 1 front desk) and it amazes me how some young people (in their 20's) present themselves in a job interview.

One guy had on some sort of loooong t-shirt, kinda pyjama like,with stripes.
    Another guy had a very wide neck on his T-shirt, that was also wrinkly and kinda torn on the edges (I think they sell them like this?) He also worre damaged skinny jeans with holes in them, which I also mentioned to him(your pants are damaged, what happened?) but he told me it's in fashion... >.>

Then there was a girl that had her arms exposed, which is of course no issue at all if they werent completely covered in tattoos. And I counted at least 3 skulls and some disturbing signs.
    Also had a girl with one side of her head shaved and sporting a nose ring and dressed in bright purple.

Luckily not everyone dresses this way to an interview and we had at least 2 girls that came dressed properly but it does make me wonder if these other candidates don't have parents, teachers or someone else in their invormenet that tells them how to dress for an interview.

So why can't some people dress proper?
    If you have a problem with tattoos maybe it's better they didn't for you. I wouldn't work for any company that is discriminatory towards tattoos.. Tattoos don't show people's work ethic..
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    If they need a job, they probably can't afford a nice suit. There's nothing wrong with a decent t-shirt tucked into some khakis. Also, and I know all interviewers do this, the way they dress is completely irrelevant to anything, at all. Except maybe how desperate they are to get a job, so maybe hire the homeless guy in tattered rags. He'd be grateful to work hard.
    that bullshit, Even if you are low on funds, go to walmart and get some slacks, a shirt and tie and atleast try. Even if you take the stuff back after the interview for a refund.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondray View Post
    Didnt you hear? you have to be copy pasted clone with suit, short hair, pleasant face, be confidennt, stress resistant etc..
    Think about it this way. How do you prepare for a date? Do you dress to impress? Or do you expect the person to be impressed by looking like you didn't put in the effort?

The person you are going on a date with is also going on a date the next night with another person. You dress like you do on a daily basis, but have the personality they are looking for. The other person also has the personality they are looking for, but dressed to impress, who do you think is more likely to get a second date?