Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    As a rule of thumb for life, it's better to over dress than under dress. Also, your signature makes Russia look like the only proliterat state out of every country... probably not far off
    Or you could just neither underdress or overdress, taking a suit as the standard is very silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable View Post
    If you have a problem with tattoos maybe it's better they didn't for you. I wouldn't work for any company that is discriminatory towards tattoos.. Tattoos don't show people's work ethic..
    And there is a time and place for them. My arms from wrist to shoulder are covered but i know when to cover them, its how the world works. Go ahead and keep limiting yourself with that attitude. I make a very good salary and 98% of my employees have no idea i'm tatted and 0% of my clients

Problem lies with the OP and his or her work place culture.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    It's a very judgmental approach to label people based on appearance like that.
    A job interview is not a social setting. (For clarity, if you're bothered by being "judged" on how you dress, you've no business in an interview)

Most are aware of what is considered standard interview attire but consider their personal expression important and don't wish to set a false expectation.
    How would it be "false expectation"? Show up looking professional. You're not being interviewed (or paid, should you get the job) to express yourself.

You should understand that an interview is a two way process and not everybody is willing to compromise everything to impress you.
    It is a two-way process. Walk in looking like garbage and you can walk the hell back out. If they want a job, their need to impress the interviewer. Someone unwilling to "compromise" by dressing professionally doesn't deserve to be interviewed, much less hired.

If you have a problem with tattoos maybe it's better they didn't for you. I wouldn't work for any company that is discriminatory towards tattoos..
    You can have tattoos, but an employer has every right to require them to be covered. You're not being paid to "express yourself". I wouldn't hire someone with (large) tattoos that couldn't be covered (face, neck, etc). Nor would I hire someone with face jewelry if they were unwilling to remove it while working. My dime, my rules.

Tattoos don't show people's work ethic..
    Work ethic isn't the only factor involved here. By that logic, someone with a good work ethic should be able to work naked, right? It doesn't matter, it's the employer's call.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2016-09-29 at 04:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also keep in ind folks. Different careers call for different things in an interview. Interviewing for a job as a cashier at a liqueur store won't require you to wear a suit. A job at a corporate business in an office position will generally require you to look your absolute best.

Time and place and all that jazz.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Capitalism sure has a lot of funny things with it.

- - - Updated - - -

That really depends on the country or job, it could be seen as overdressing.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is why full capitalism does not work.
    Why is that? Is it because it's cold and unsympathetic and leaves someone to starve? Don't let me project my own problems with the system on you - that's totally what I think is wrong with it, but you might have a different issue, since you're flaunting your hammer and sickle there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    costs nothing for simple trousers,tie,shoes and a shirt. Probably less than that guy paid for his fake vintage look worn jeans alone.
    More than likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Glarolas View Post
    Its not a problem at all, he has the RIGHT to be picky in his business, especially when its dealing with sales or other people. While i at my company do not have an issue with certain things my potential customers might. I will cater to my customers as that is the life blood of my business. That is how business works

If you have a problem with tattoos maybe it's better they didn't for you. I wouldn't work for any company that is discriminatory towards tattoos.. Tattoos don't show people's work ethic..
    And if the tattoos are neo nazi symbols, deaths head symols ?

Where is the line? You could draw one and have everyone subjected to HR checking visible tattoos for offensive property or you could just ban tattoos entirely.

I get that they're generally not a big deal but from a top down viewpoint this sort of low level bullshit is just an overall headache that nobody wants to deal with. So it's easier just to say tattoos must be covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ondray View Post
    Didnt you hear? you have to be copy pasted clone with suit, short hair, pleasant face, be confidennt, stress resistant etc..
    This is childish. You're not a clone. And you can have your own flare. You can dress up a suit you know you can make it reflect your personality. I haven't seen a single post that says all interviews must be in a navy suit with a black tie and a white shirt.

And hell MOST people aren't even saying suit. They're saying just make sure you look nice like you actually want a job.

Also, that's just an overall negative mindset.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Just had 5 interviews this morning
    Shame i'm not in your area. I'd love to sit in your interview as a test to see how I do, lol. I love interviews. I find them a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Glarolas View Post
    Based on his previous threads, it's possible. I personally have a strong suspicion, that he's not offering to pay anywhere near what he seems to expect of people. Guy expects everything, including self improvements for the job on peoples free time. Is he paying for it? Of course not, but wants it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Non-suited, and very professional

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Its not a problem at all, he has the RIGHT to be picky in his business, especially when its dealing with sales or other people. While i at my company do not have an issue with certain things my potential customers might. I will cater to my customers as that is the life blood of my business. That is how business works
    Conversely potential employees have the right to be picky about their employers. Which is why I don't understand all the complaining. If you see everyone going into an office wearing a suit why do you feel it's ok to complain about you have to wearing a suit. It doesn't make sense to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Non-suited, and very professional
    That look is absolutely fine and perfect for most interviews.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Also non-suited, and professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    Yeah, a very small effort. Idk about you, but I don't class getting or washing my 20 euro shirt and my 20 euro pants as a significant effort. Truth be told, I'd rather not work at the places that require suits anyways, and lord knows there isn't a shortage of jobs for software devs.

Could also be that I don't want to be management, under no circumstances. So all this "dress for the job you want, not the one you have" stuff is irrelevant to me.
    its more effort than someone who just throws on a ripped pair of jeans and a random "cool" t-shirt" has made. you at least considered looking presentable for the job and put that consideration into action. it makes a difference, which is why I find the whole "I look how I want and they just have to accept it" such a weak argument.

it doesn't take much effort at all to brush your hair and put on a basic shirt and a pair of pants (or skirt) with plain shoes. it doesn't cost all that much (especially if you buy it from a thrift-shop) either. people in the OP couldn't even be bothered to do THAT much.

dressing up to look presentable is not some insurmountable task. and while for certain jobs - presentable = suit, not every job even remotely requires it. but very few job interviews are ok (let alone expect you to look that way) with you coming for an interview, looking like you are about to go for a workout, or to a burning man.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It's not expensive at all. Some people wear shoes (Nike Air Max for example) that are more expensive than a Retail suit.
    It is actually. I wear 30 Dollar Shoes, Jeans, and a Tucked in Polo, on occasion Khakis. If you turned me down because my shirt was wrinkly I would have a long discussion with you about how people wear things that are cheap, SPOILER ALERT: Its because they are broke.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm often in the position of interviewer and we typically don't mind how a person dresses, usually because they're sensible enough to dress appropriately. So far nobody out of dozens of candidates I interviewed showed up in dirty or torn clothes. However, there was one young guy who came in shorts. Admittedly, it was hot as hell outside, but the offices are properly air conditioned and the dress code for men is pants/jeans. He went through me because I only test their proficiency in English, but the second he reached the bosses for the technical test they sent him away. I would have done the same, but I don't have the authority.

Our company is uniquely casual, we have 65 employees and the average age is probably around 29-30, so the interpersonal relationships and atmosphere at the office are fun and easy-going. That being said, there are standards, often based on hygiene, that everyone has to adhere to, and it's the candidates' obligation to learn about that in advance when being summoned for an interview. Tattoos or other decorations are perfectly fine, it's an IT company, but showing up in shorts for a job interview is probably inappropriate even if you're applying to be a lifeguard or model.
    My magic will tear you apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    It is actually. I wear 30 Dollar Shoes, Jeans, and a Tucked in Polo, on occasion Khakis. If you turned me down because my shirt was wrinkly I would have a long discussion with you about how people wear things that are cheap, SPOILER ALERT: Its because they are broke.
    To get wrinkles out, throw your shirt in the dryer for 20 minutes. Works everytime. It will not have proper creases, but it won't have wrinkles.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Based on his previous threads, it's possible. I personally have a strong suspicion, that he's not offering to pay anywhere near what he seems to expect of people. Guy expects everything, including self improvements for the job on peoples free time. Is he paying for it? Of course not, but wants it anyway.
    At first I thought you might be being sarcastic. It is completely the interviewee's responsibility to show up dressed professionally. The OP has no unreasonable standards or expectations. Sure, they have the right to show up looking like street garbage. They also have the right to walk out just as jobless as they walked in.

Has the OP answered on what type of work environment he is talking about ?