Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    What's wrong with you? You have some god telling you that your way of live is the better one?
    The most interesting thing is how Hikikomoris sometimes become "reformed" and regret what they were - endorsing the yelling mass that society is for being correct.

They are just not educated. That's all - look at US elite universities how many turn away from your norms and values, going deep into the country-side hoping to be alone. This path in social science stands exactly against those people who believe in evolution and that one day all of the human mind, spirit whatever will be decoded allowing a collective directive.

This topic is very interesting IF you have actually some education on sociology, philosophy and most and for all anthropology.
    i have read a few things that suggest being outdoors & alone is much more beneficial than being inside shut away.

Quote Originally Posted by Senna1251 View Post
    I'm not sure if he qualifies, but I know someone who's close to a hikikomori. The only reason why I know him at all is because he'll be my brother-in-law. He spends days at a time with his computer in the basement, only surfacing to eat (sometimes not even that) or to see his niece, who he finds insanely cute. Like, we'll be having a family meal over at the house he's staying, and he'll come up to get food, and then go back down to the basement while we're socializing. The only time he ever leaves the house is to go to Walmart to stock up on food for himself. He'll spend entire days in the basement, many in a row.

He is however, on the autism spectrum, so I'm not sure how much that affects his lifestyle choices.
    he sounds like an introvert, im the same, i spend all my time at home, work from home, i even order food. but it seems like this lifestyle is as far from hikikomori as it is from the "normal" - extrovert lifestyle. i mean, even though i spend all my time inside, i still function properly, get food on my own, work, pay rent and bills, i still talk to and visit my parents and friends, which i only have few but they are there, and so on...
    but when you look at the hikikomori, they are basically only alive because their parents would be more ashamed of other people knowing what their kids are doing, than they are for letting them live like this.
    and i sure dont have the proper education for this, but id say hikikomori classifies more as a disorder than a way of life.
    Last edited by pmkaboo; 2016-09-29 at 03:13 PM.

I think the western equivalent is the "NEET".
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

I'm not sure if he qualifies, but I know someone who's close to a hikikomori. The only reason why I know him at all is because he'll be my brother-in-law. He spends days at a time with his computer in the basement, only surfacing to eat (sometimes not even that) or to see his niece, who he finds insanely cute. Like, we'll be having a family meal over at the house he's staying, and he'll come up to get food, and then go back down to the basement while we're socializing. The only time he ever leaves the house is to go to Walmart to stock up on food for himself. He'll spend entire days in the basement, many in a row.

He is however, on the autism spectrum, so I'm not sure how much that affects his lifestyle choices.
    It hugely effects it. Does he have some form of income or does he rely on his family?

10+ Year Old Account

Low functioning or High Functioning because that affects how much assistance he needs.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    No sex for months? Are they insane.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    nah, i like bein in my room on the internet, but i also like going outside and seeing people, would probably go insane if i had to be my bedroom longer than a week

Nope, I would go absolutely mad!

It's bad enough how I have a bad habit of secluding myself due to anxiety but at least I make it outta my apartment now and then.

No contact with anyone at all... I'd be a dead man...

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    While I doubt that is really the issue here, I do find it odd that it's mostly an American thing to be so open about mental issues.
    If by open you mean "They eventually get news-coverage because someone pulled a gun on someone", then I guess you are right. :P

This whole shooting by cop thing is scary, even ignoring the mass shootings. Mental issues are running rampage and the only issue I can really see being open is all those social media attention whores proclaiming their self-diagnosed depressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I haven't had sex in over ten years. Feelsbadman.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're interested in this sort of things I HIGHLY recommend reading up on this:

Population Density and Social Pathology

It's one of the seminal/controversial works of sociology, and it's both very interesting and very disturbing (if it also applies to humans, which it very likely does).

Here's an old video on it (sorry, best scientific quality I could find without someone projecting their bizarre youtube blog commentary over shit):

Last edited by Yvaelle; 2016-09-29 at 04:20 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a period where I was borderline like this. It definitely was not healthy.

Deleted
    after dealing with the public 5 to 6 days a week, 8 hours a day the last 6 months, I have loved this week of being Hikikomori.
    Granted I didn't stay in the bedroom, I stayed in the living room with PC, Home Cinema, TV, and I did go out for a day. But the rest of the time has been total, idiot free bliss!

Don't think I could do it long term though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Sex isn't a choice.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    It hugely effects it. Does he have some form of income or does he rely on his family?
    He receives disability, something like $1000 a month (not the actual number, just a rough estimate). He does pay rent to his grandma (he lives in his grandma's house) and pay for internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Low functioning or High Functioning because that affects how much assistance he needs.
    I don't know much about autism, but I would say he's closer to High Functioning than Low Functioning. He does have a problem communicating his thoughts to other people, so much so that he can't work anything that relies on talking to people (almost everything). It took me years to be able to understand him almost all the time. It's not just intelligible, he can't translate his thoughts into sentences properly, which causes him to stop speaking at random times, usually half way in a thought or sentence. But besides that and his unsociable ways, he's pretty much the same as anybody else. Oh, and don't touch him without his permission.
    Mafia History

Mafia 2/2 | Town 6/9 | SK/Cult 1/2

Deleted
    I whish i could be Hikikomori.

But i need money to eat :'(

I've had to live that way in my early twenties due to circumstances outside of my control. Those were... weird years. I was happy but at the same time my self-esteem took a huge hit so I ended up being not-so-happy after a while.
    Last edited by OperationFerret; 2016-09-29 at 04:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I am sort of I have no friends or communication with others and I only leave the room if I must( buy food, or run an errand).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    I wish I could live a lifestyle like that, where are they getting the money from?

PS: It's not new

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I've been inside since July pretty much 24/7 looking for jobs, besides the occasional interview and going to the store I don't socialize and wouldnt have it any other way.