Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Windows 10 - coming back?

So, i installed win 10 since its release, but in july this year went back to win 7 because of a old game that wasnt working under win10.

now, i have the cd to install it, but it should be ok to install it? it will activate or i'll have to buy now?

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    So, i installed win 10 since its release, but in july this year went back to win 7 because of a old game that wasnt working under win10.

now, i have the cd to install it, but it should be ok to install it? it will activate or i'll have to buy now?
    Since you previously had it activated on that hardware, it should just authenticate itself immediately after you install. No purchase necessary.

Windows 10 shitversary update shouldn't be on any computer. Do yourself a favor and avoid it like the plague.

Windows 7 is superior in all aspects except boot time. Ok and maybe directx down the road..but how much are you really willing to sacrifice for it.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Windows 10 shitversary update shouldn't be on any computer. Do yourself a favor and avoid it like the plague.

Windows 7 is superior in all aspects except boot time. Ok and maybe directx down the road..but how much are you really willing to sacrifice for it.
    Except it's objectively not. But sure keep wearing the tin foil hat. Literally the longest bandwagon I've seen on these forums.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Except it's objectively not. But sure keep wearing the tin foil hat. Literally the longest bandwagon I've seen on these forums.
    The tin foil hat is very fashionable.

That or people lack personality and follow the most popular trend

He is right though. Anniversary has lots of issues. I would give you some leeway if he said it was spying on you, but he didn't, he said the update is bad, and it is. I use Windows 10 and I am still on 1511 because I don't want to risk having to reformat for the 3rd time since installing Windows 10.
    Last edited by Paula Deen; 2016-09-29 at 04:59 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    He is right though. Anniversary has lots of issues. I would give you some leeway if you said it was spying on you, but he didn't, he said the update is bad, and it is. I use Windows 10 and I am still on 1511 because I don't want to risk having to reformat for the 3rd time since installing Windows 10.
    I have had no issues with the new update outside of a problem with the Xbox app. I simply had to disable the DVR feature. And that bug might not even exist anymore. I doubt it does. Most would agree.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

What are people having problems with? I have mine set to autoupdate ever since i got 10 and havent had any problems outside of the start button sometimes being unresponsive, and that seems to have been fixed since. And im on a 5 year old PC even, surprised how good 10 runs for me.

I have had no issues with the new update outside of a problem with the Xbox app. I simply had to disable the DVR feature. And that bug might not even exist anymore. I doubt it does. Most would agree.
    Classic Ancedotal Evidence you have there. I would also like to point out the issues with the DVR Feature were present at Windows 10 Launch and still haven't been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    What are people having problems with? I have mine set to autoupdate ever since i got 10 and havent had any problems outside of the start button sometimes being unresponsive, and that seems to have been fixed since. And im on a 5 year old PC even, surprised how good 10 runs for me.
    I won't deny 10 runs good but people have been reporting that the Anniversary update has many issues, from Conflicts with Nvidia Drivers that cause BSODs, to fans completely stopping on some system components, to errors during installation forcing users to do as I have done, twice, reformat and start over.

I agree 10 is a great OS, one of the best Microsoft has put out, but do not dismiss problems because you haven't seen them, they exist. A simple google search shows they do.

Classic Ancedotal Evidence you have there. I would also like to point out the issues with the DVR Feature were present at Windows 10 Launch and still haven't been fixed.

I won't deny 10 runs good but people have been reporting that the Anniversary update has many issues, from Conflicts with Nvidia Drivers that cause BSODs, to fans completely stopping on some system components, to errors during installation forcing users to do as I have done, twice, reformat and start over.

I agree 10 is a great OS, one of the best Microsoft has put out, but do not dismiss problems because you haven't seen them, they exist. A simple google search shows they do.
    Sounds like user error to me, i have 4 pc's all running 10 and outside the buggy start button ive had no problems. Ever think to yourself all the fiddling people do inside the OS is probably the reason they are having all these problems? I dont touch a thing and have updates set to auto install and have had zero issues.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Kind of like the classic anecdotal evidence you've shown? Just because a minority have had issues with upgrading doesn't mean the upgrade itself is trash. There is always going to be group of people who are going to have issues somewhere somehow when doing major upgrades or even installations of any OS. Windows 7 included. My information is ancedotal. It's not like the computer forums here are full of people needing help because the update broke their computers. I've installed that update on plenty of machines myself and not a single one has had any issues that you're describing.

It's also recommended to back up your information for upgrades and installs for that specific reason. Because anything is prone to break.

I never said that no one has ever had an issue with the upgrade. That would be dumb to assume. But don't be ignorant to think there has ever been an OS or OS update that hasn't come with potential issues for some users. Because that's always been the case. XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, and all other OS versions and Service Packs or whatever else. Every single one of them had something go wrong for some users. It's inevitable. Just because YOU were part of that minority this time around doesn't mean that the update itself is trash and that the OP should be avoiding it for any reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a technician, so I blow through 20-30 systems a day for support (so multiply that by ~200 since it came out). I feel like my experience is at least one step above 'anecdotal'

Windows 10 has proven to be a very good OS, however it DOES have some bugs. However, all OS's have bugs. I think people are more likely to jump on the 'its terrible' bandwagon because of how awkward Win 8 was originally. People were expecting problems, and found problems.

Here are the two biggest issues I've found with Win10

1) Driver issues with obscure hardware. Old printers. Printers that use stupid HP/Lexmark/Epson software. On the flipside, Win10 is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING for drivers in all other ways. It supports and updates things that I would normally spend an hour digging for on Win 7/8.

2) Anniversary update (note, the problem isnt the update itself, but some of the aspects it changed for the better). Driver signing was improved, but in turn broke some older hardware that used unsigned, uncertified drivers. It's like your homeless buddy got kicked out of your house because he's a squatter. Yeah, he's your buddy, but he's also there illegally.

The driver signing issue has caused a lot of 'bricked systems' post update. And many of the other issues. It's not a bad update. In fact, it's fantastic what it added, but just like Android... Because it covers so many bases, there are bound to be issues.

Keep in mind, if you have a problem, 100% of your experience is bad. If you don't have a problem, everything is normal (as opposed to 100% of things are good). So yes, lots of people complain, but it only seems that way because people who don't complain largely aren't heard.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Sounds like user error to me, i have 4 pc's all running 10 and outside the buggy start button ive had no problems. Ever think to yourself all the fiddling people do inside the OS is probably the reason they are having all these problems? I dont touch a thing and have updates set to auto install and have had zero issues.
    "It works on my machine :^)"

Kind of like the classic anecdotal evidence you've shown?
    I won't deny I have shown some too, seems pretty dumb to assume its a minority when one of the two of you arguing with me over it being shit outright said he had one of the problems himself.

There is always going to be group of people who are going to have issues somewhere somehow when doing major upgrades or even installations of any OS. Windows 7 included.
    If you can find me article after article on Windows 7, XP, or even fucking Vista users having issues where the install requires you to reformat because of "errors" I will give you something. This is stuff that simply didn't happen with 7, XP, or Vista. It is happening with 10. This is the kind of behavior I expect from Linux-based systems, not Windows, as a matter of fact these issues are one of the key reasons many people still use Windows.

I never said that no one has ever had an issue with the upgrade. That would be dumb to assume. But don't be ignorant to think there has ever been an OS or OS update that hasn't come with potential issues for some users. Because that's always been the case. XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, and all other OS versions and Service Packs or whatever else. Every single one of them had something go wrong for some users. It's inevitable. Just because YOU were part of that minority this time around doesn't mean that the update itself is trash and that the OP should be avoiding it for any reason.
    Never once has a Windows Update, even on fucking Vista, had as many issues as Windows 10's Anniversary Update did. Windows 10 even had the first law suit based on it having errors during installation, that started itself mind you, and bricked a ladies PC. Of course, everything is anecdotal, but I would argue that the minority isn't the people with the issues, its the people who haven't had a single one. Even people like Linus Sebastian (LinusTechTips) made mention of broken installs in there office, multiple times. These things are happening, and it isn't a 1% or 5% kinda deal, if anything its 30% at the minimum, which is quite a lot when you take into consideration the number of systems running Windows 10 is at least 14% as of early 2016. Thats Millions of devices. Millions.
    Last edited by Paula Deen; 2016-09-29 at 05:33 PM.

Windows 10 anniversary update I literally had to install addons in to make work in even a tolerable way. The start menu drives me insane. Even after removing all the tiles and turning off animation that alphabetical list that opens automatically that you can not stop is mind numbingly annoying. Thank got for stardocks star program.

I will say the way windows 10 is designed, requires MORE click to do the same tasks than previous windows if you don't know what a program is called to search it.

I currently use windows 10 anniversary and while admittedly most of my gripes were due to an nvidia driver area and the windows 10 desktop. It DOES make a lot of unnecessary changes that seem to be backward thinking rather than forward thinking.

I also vehemently reject the idea that they can update my machine without my knowledge and the only way to permanently stop that is to regedit my pc. Which is ridiculous.

But as to the other guys comment about spying on you, yea that's full tinfoil hat area. It spies on you no more than google already does, if people are that concerned that need to not have a pc at all.
    Last edited by prwraith; 2016-09-29 at 05:35 PM.

Windows 10 anniversary update I literally had to install addons in to make work in even a tolerable way. The start menu drives me insane. Even after removing all the tiles and turning off animation that alphabetical list that opens automatically that you can not stop is mind numbingly annoying. Thank got for stardocks star program.
    All of this is subjective bullshit.

I also vehemently reject the idea that they can update my machine without my knowledge and the only way to permanently stop that is to regedit my pc. Which is ridiculous.
    Its literally a service you can stop. You don't need to regedit shit.

None of it is subjective BS. It is, on the contrary, a pretty succinct description of the average person's experience with W10, which is why there are so many people still on Windows 7.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

It may be subjective that I dislike using my computer which I have a mouse and keyboard for...like a tablet. However, i'm pretty sure it's a fairly common gripe. Seeing as most pc's are in fact not tablets.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ever since i updated to the anniversary version, my computer has restarted by it self and it does it in games and in normal windows use.

At first i first I thought it was my PSU that had gone bad, so i took my brothers Corsair 650W and tested it on mine and the problem still happened and my PSU did not make my brothers computer restart , so i could rule out the PSU as the problem.

So i googled and googled and it turns out that ALOT of people are having the same problem, with the anniversary version and Microsoft can not find the problem. It happens on old and brand new systems.

My brother does not have the problem, but a guy from work have the same problem and he's system is only 2 months old. So YES the anniversary version is shit and if they don't fix this problem really soon, then im going back to Win7
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    None of it is subjective BS. It is, on the contrary, a pretty succinct description of the average person's experience with W10, which is why there are so many people still on Windows 7.
    Do you not know what subjective means?