Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    to be accurate, Quebec. Quebec has been a regressive shithole for centuries
    by the way province of ontario as well but province wide ban not just in city. sure any dog can be dangerous but pitbull was breed thgis way and is more at risk then other

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

they were specially bred for bloodsport

and many other country have a pitbull ban as well
    The difference beteween genius and stupidity... genius has its limit

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    Look up how many people are mauled and mangled by pitbulls every year.
    Look up how many are mauled and mangled by _______ every year.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    Again with the petty unrelated comparisons. Use some >>>>CRITICAL THINKING<<<< please.
    Falling out of bed is your fault. It's an accident that nobody else caused but you. Being attacked by a Pitbull, especially one you do not own, is completely different.
    If there was ONE SPECIFIC type of bed design that was causing 82% of those deaths, then you can bet your ass that bed design would be retired or banned completely.
    82% of the non "unknown breed" cases, not controlled for misclassification, mind you. You're using the numbers from a site that is intentionally misleading with data. The same numbers that conveniently leave out the fact that:
    (53.125%) incidents had zero public evidence of what the offending dog or dogs actually looked like, only breed claims coming in the form of a media mention.
    http://www.swaylove.org/colleen-lynn...m-dogsbite-org

People suck at identifying dogs, and tons of research has been done on the topic. Dogsbite is explicitly witholding information because the owner is part of an anti-pitbull group.

If you really were concerned over those 28 people, you'd want a ban on any large, non-neutered, mishandled dog, as it's really only a dog's bite power, poor training, and failure to spay/neuter that leads to deaths from dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminatrix View Post
    by the way province of ontario as well but province wide ban not just in city. sure any dog can be dangerous but pitbull was breed thgis way and is more at risk then other

lol you are like the 4th person to bring up Ontario.

A) Ontario is ridiculous too.

B) "But these people did it too" is not a valid reason to do stupid shit.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    but Ontario started it...thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Yes and no.

Some breed are more aggressive than others, pitbull is one of them, which means that their owner needs to train them properly. So while it's true that it's the owners fault if they attack someone you also have to recognize the fact that pitbulls, and similar dogs, are more aggressive by nature.
    Except pit bulls are not more aggressive.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    i have a belgian malinois (which are actually used as attack dogs, and not pitbulls how odd...) but no one's up in arms over them.

I am a dog lover and currently have 2 boxers. One is 55 lb and the other is 75 lb. At first glance I do not like this law, but I see the point in it. Pitbulls are the most aggressive breed solely on statistics largely due to people and how they breed them. I think some parts of this law are good and some bad.

Some of the highlights of the new laws:
    1. The laws apply to all Pitbulls, including mixes and dogs that aren't exactly pitbulls but appear to be similar. (I can't find a formal definition of what the law considers "similar".)

This part I find to be utter crap. This is so vague that it can easily turn into finding non pitbull breeds with square jaws and stocky frames.

2. All pitbulls that live in shelters or are caught without ownership are to be euthanized

This is a bit extreme and if the shelters are not over populated this should not be done. I think this mind set is absolutely horrid and shameful.

3. Pitbulls will be required to be simultaneously muzzled and kept on a leash not to exceed 1.25m (4.1 feet) in length when they are not inside, and must never be left unattended by an individual under 18 years old

This is also a bit extreme. If they really want to fix the Pitbull attack issue they need to make sure the owners are responsible. I know one of my dogs is not good around other dogs so she doesn't get to go to the dog park. I also know that both of my dogs tend to jump so before anyone gets near them I tell them this and if they have a kid I ask the kid not pet them due to them being able to knock them down.

This whole thing wreaks of "lets make these aggressive dogs look and seem even meaner" Because if you look at a picture of two dogs and one has a muzzle and the other doesn't and they are the same breed. The muzzled one looks a hell of a lot meaner and dangerous just due to the presence of a muzzle.

4. Individuals with criminal records will not be permitted to own pitbulls

Don't agree with this either. It is short sighted and if they want to fight a dog they'll just get another. What makes a criminal less likely to be able to raise a dog properly then a family who ignores one and it becomes dog aggressive.

5. All pitbulls must be spayed/neutered unless owned by a certified breeder

Agreed whole heartedly. If you're not breeding your dog properly and just owning as a pet no reason not to do this.

6. Pitbull owners must present proof that they legally owned their dogs before the new laws came into effect or must forfeit their dog(s)

This is also dumb. If they take the time to check the dogs does it matter if the owners have papers on the dog. If the dog is not aggressive the dog isn't aggressive. It doesn't matter if it has papers or not.

That is my two cents on the law. Some things I agree with some I don't. Sadly I think it is being made out of fear and there is no real solution in place to make these dogs less aggressive or put them in the care of responsible owners.
    Last edited by table3; 2016-09-29 at 10:43 PM.

Deleted
    Pitbulls were created to be dangerous and kill, I really love dogs and I respect the desire of people to own a dog than can go crazy and kill the owner their children or anyone else, but I firmly believe that these people are simply wrong and misguided. Especially when they they lie to themself into thinking that pitbulls aren't more dangerous than other breeds and it's always the fault of the owner or the person that got attacked, which often is the owner.
    There are bigger dogs, there are stronger dogs, but there is no deadlier dog than the pitbull, I fail to understand why you would specifically choose to own a dog that poses the greatest thread for yourself, your family and everyone that might in contact with that dog.
    Pitbulls should not exist in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    They are. Pit bulls, and other breeds, were bred for fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Ontario's not immune from my ire either. But this isn't about Ontario, is it? This is just another in a string of historic fuck ups.

PS. Québécois isn't a race.

PPS. Speaking of "teh racism," how's that niqab ban going?
    How is a niqab ban bad? You realize the idea is not even about niqab only and not for citizen. Its not a specific niqab ban, its a ban of any religious symbols for government employee. Something government employees union of bureaucrats proposed for themselves. The law would simply reach all other instances of government employee, doctors, nurses, teachers, etc.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-09-30 at 12:22 AM.

This happens when a populace can't raise their dogs properly. I have no issues with this law. Wish more US cities enacted this. Most dogs in St. Louis you see being walked are Pitts who obviously have irresponsible owners. Sad that a breed has to suffer because of bad ownership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That's one of the key things with greeting a dog. You should always lower yourself to the ground and either gently extend a hand out a little bit or wait for them to come to you. To a lot of dogs, especially smaller ones, you're a towering giant. Putting yourself closer to their level makes you seem less aggressive.

Of course, always check with the owner first and watch the dog. If they are slowly wagging to the left, or the tail is up or down, don't do it. Back away.
    Yup, absolutely. You can pick up on body language before bending down and extending a hand...I bend down every time I meet a dog, no matter their size. They just seem more comfortable that way.

Looks like a very nice dog to me.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminatrix View Post

The difference is that we didn't outright ban them in the same way that Montreal has done it, and it being province wide as well, not just a local city ban. Honestly, for all the people who are against the breed ban, the number of deaths and even attacks since the pitbull ban has come into effect in Ontario has dropped significantly. When the law came into effect, breeding pitbulls was banned, and both the deaths of other dogs, attacks on humans by pitbulls as well as mauling by pitbulls have all dropped dramatically over the last decade. 112 attacks by the dogs that were put on the restricted/banned list in 2005 to 19 in 2015 in Toronto alone, is a significant decrease. To say that the ban hasn't had a positive effect is foolish, but it isn't entirely the breed that is the problem with dogs attacking people, as many others have lined out in this thread. Dog bites still happen, and apparently have been increasing in Toronto year over year since 2012, though one could factor in both an increase in population as well as more dog owners, as being factors for increased dog bites in general. But most are because of bad owners, not all because of specific breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    They are. Pit bulls, and other breeds, were bred for fighting.
    Yeah and almost zero dogs do what they were bred to do hundreds of years ago.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Honestly aggressive dog breeds (yes, they exist) and dogs with horrible deformaties that are physically and medically taxing (most squished faced dogs) should stop being bred, imho. I don't agree with killing the ones already alive though.

Canada should take example from USA Breeding rules from each states. A lot of city in each states have pit bulls banned.
    Some have doberman pinschers, Chow chows, and chihuahua I have heard got banned

And quebec have the highest school drop rate,
    And quebec have the highest abortion rate,
    And quebec have the highest suicide rate (after Yukon ),

I am from Montreal and Yes the city needed rules. Its a great start

I am cool with banning breeds of dogs. We label animals "dangerous" all the time. With that being said, they should make some kind of effort to ensure the animals aren't dying and suffering on a whim. Create a pitbull rescue and maintain it for 10-15 years. Spay/neuter the dogs that enter the rescue program and once the time is up hopefully you've either relocated them all or the dogs have died of natural causes.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

I don't understand how someone could do the job of euthanizing animals anyways.