Thread: nothingness

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    You would feel your blood moving, your eyelids twitching, your need to breathe, and the absence of sound, which is a sound of its own.
    Not if you leave 'em that way long enough.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danbala View Post
    I can't really wrap my brain around "nothingness" either.. and if I try, I get thrown into an existential-fueled depression. The thought that I one day will cease to exist is quite sobering... at least to my mind.
    Not only that but we dont understand time and the nature of the universe. Say youre driving down a road and see a sign . It gets bigger and bigger, then, when you pass it, gets smaller and finally disappears. Does it mean it no longer exists? Or maybe you can go back and see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by istroxpro View Post
    The most horrific thing is that you wouldn't even realise that you are gone.
    Depends. Some people have lives that are a constant misery, and probably don't realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Nothingness is how you feel after playing WoW for 12 years.
    *chuckles*
    There has been that emptiness lately...

-------------------------

After Heidegger's "Being and Time" I have to wonder that the "nothingness" here is the inability to experience and remember anything..

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Imagine there's after life, how overcrowded it is and it will only get worse.

My heaven slice will require a VIP membership to visit so that's fine by me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neyze View Post
    The ride never ends. Even if you aren't aware of it, you still continue to exist after death. That's hardly debatable.

Since it's a totally unfounded claim, it's very much debatable.

Whatever you do, whatever you say, whatever you think, who ever you befriend, it all disappears. Forever.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Whatever you do, whatever you say, whatever you think, who ever you befriend, it all disappears. Forever.
    Only to you.
    Those left in your absence however...remember you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post

Since it's a totally unfounded claim, it's very much debatable.
    Most of us that believe we have a soul don't really feel the need to debate it because to us, well...it's obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Only to you.
    Yeah, until they pass on. Even Hitler won't be remembered 500 years from now, just in history books that nobody reads.

Everything you did, everything you thought just goes poof.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Only to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Most of us that believe we have a soul don't really feel the need to debate it because to us, well...it's obvious.
    Apparently it takes 3 to 4 generations before people forget you. I personally, know nothing about my great grandparents.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

15+ Year Old Account
    It's fine to say "I believe this, I have no evidence or logic to support it with, it's only based on faith so there's no debate to be had". That's a respectable and honest position.

But it doesn't make the claim undebatable, it just means you don't have a foundation to support it.

If you mean it's so obvious that there's no point debating it, then presenting the evidence that makes it so obvious would end the debate pretty quickly. Problem with that claim is that no one is able to produce such evidence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So this isn't a religious discussion. I know alot of people here are comfortable with the fact that after you die you are gone. you blink into nothingness. I'm curious how one describes nothingness?
    No science, no philosopher, has ever not admitted that nihilism is the absolute believe you could currently have. Heidegger wrote so much terminology to carry this message... for nothing indeed. The first and most powerful madness you can fall to is "I AM". lol.

Wither and die, that's what mankind should do, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armass View Post
    Hate to rain on your parade, but even if we did, only the super rich would benefit from that, mark my words.

As for the afterlife question, i answer the same way as i answer to the existence of some form of God, as an agnostic. Whether it exist or doesnt.

"You might be right, but can you be sure?"
    The ability to extend life being withheld from the masses is the one thing guaranteed to provoke a popular reaction which would break the system.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it simply ends. It's just like how it was before you were born

10+ Year Old Account
    Like sleep except there's no dreams. It's scary to think about but its also kind of calming tbh. To know that eventually every little thing you've worried about and dealt with won't actually matter in the end.

Deleted
    when you are young you are terrified of death and the thought of not existing some day. once you get old and start having health and other issues you will welcome it

10+ Year Old Account
    This is where reincarnation comes to my mind. It's like when you go to sleep. There's that moment when you fall asleep and you seem to like fast forward to morning. You have no recollection of what happened between the time you were still awake and when you woke up. Another example is when you go for your wisdom teeth pulling and they knock you out with that stuff. When I got mine pulled I just remember laying in the chair thing and then next thing I knew I woke up at my house sitting in my living room chair with my head hanging down. It was like I was a walking mindless zombie before I came to.

That's why I sort of kind of believe in reincarnation. I think at some point during the "nothingness" you wake up as a kid again but have no recollection of your past life. Like you're obviously not the same person anymore but you get to control a different body and mind and in a different time or hell maybe a different planet. It's really interesting to me to think of this.

No one knows what happens when you die so you can't just say "there's nothing, game over" because you can't say that with certainty. For all you know maybe we wake up next to Morpheus and our fight against the machines begins. I just find it hard to believe that there is just nothingness forever. There has to be something.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2016-09-30 at 04:04 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    to be sincere: the idea of your very own mortality IS horrifying and usually nobody sane enough likes to think it through.

Isn't nothingness devoid of everything? What else is there to say about it? You can't be there to experience nothingness because then it would have something.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So this isn't a religious discussion. I know alot of people here are comfortable with the fact that after you die you are gone. you blink into nothingness. I'm curious how one describes nothingness?
    I think of it like sleep. When I am asleep, I am not feeling or aware of anything going on around me. It's like I'll be asleep with no dreams but never wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nehezbegar View Post
    This is the most depressing thing as fuck. The nautre played a great joke to fucking bring something to life and then perish it in nothingness.

I envy ppl that believe in some sort of life after life, their life must be easier a little.
    i'm mostly agnostic, believe there's most likely something out there. it's hell, it's not easy. i fear death more than anything, because i don't know what i'm going into. i hope it's just the end, i'd be so happy about that. but i'm worried it's one of the many versions of underworlds.

i can actually imagine nothing. when i do it, it's only for a half a second and i slightly panic and snap away from it. it's scary, but at least it's peace.