Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It has a lot less to do with cops being scared, and a lot more to do with cops having to always be right, or to always win.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It all comes down to cops being afraid to die.

Say you're a cop and you get a call that a man armed with a gun is causing a disturbance at an apartment complex. If you're afraid to die this is going to make you very nervous.

If you are a very brave retarded cop, you might talk to the armed man without pulling your gun, ask him what his problem is, ask him to put his gun down. But in doing this you are risking your life, you might never see your wife and kids again.
    Your post has been fixed.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    I don't live in the US, But i follow news channels and it feels like there are new police shootings all the time.
    Which they feed on drama to get ratings high. The number of people shot by police is extremely low when compared to over 320 million who live here in the US. And most of the time, the ones shot are criminals, armed or presenting a threat to the police or others. The occasional rare cases where police step out of line, they are prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Batman is the worst example to use here. Batman is totally against killing people even the worst criminals. If anything he'd get the cops' act together and root out all the idiot ones.
    They're talking about Snyder Batman who after (it seems like) Harley killed Jason Todd and the incident in metropolis went completely overboard and moved into the "I don't give a fuck." region. Well until Superman mentioned Martha making him realise that he was about to go into Joe Chill territory.

That was the dumbest and most unbatman line in the movie. Batman takes nothing as a 100% certainty but he is prepared as fuck for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    They're talking about Snyder Batman who after (it seems like) Harley killed Jason Todd and the incident in metropolis went completely overboard and moved into the "I don't give a fuck." region. Well until Superman mentioned Martha making him realise that he was about to go into Joe Chill territory.
    Yeah and you forgot Snyder's vision for Batman is getting raped in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    What I find interesting is that police are more willing to use deadly force when they're equipped with bodycams because they know they can justify their actions.
    Have any data on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Batman is the worst example to use here. Batman is totally against killing people even the worst criminals. If anything he'd get the cops' act together and root out all the idiot ones.
    Not Ben Affleck Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    I don't live in the ME but every time i turn on the news it makes it sound like a muslim is being a terrorist....see how that works?
    yes that actually works the EXACT same way...you are both right :P
    Nuance and context are words Americans seem to have forgotten the meaning to

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    It has a lot less to do with cops being scared, and a lot more to do with cops having to always be right, or to always win.
    I don't think so. This is not true of all cops and probably not true of most cops. At the end of the day it comes down to YOU not the cop. If you don't do anything illegal and treat cops with the same respect that any other person holding a gun deserves, then you have nothing to worry about.

If you really think the cop is just trying to "win" you should probably reconsider your actions. Unless you're in some extremely rare scenario where you literally are dealing with racist and/or corrupt cops, you'll probably get exactly what you deserve.

If you disagree, I'd like to know what your specific situation was where the cop acted inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    yes that actually works the EXACT same way...you are both right :P
    Nuance and context are words Americans seem to have forgotten the meaning to
    There were 62 million police stops JUST POLICE STOPS in 2011
    http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=4779

Also in 2011, there were 1,146 people were shot by police, with 607 killed. During ALL POLICE ENCOUNTERS.

The perception that police are trigger happy, are just that. Perception created by the media only focusing on the deaths for ratings. Who is going to watch a news story on a police stop in Idaho, where the driver was polite and was let off with a warning? That doesnt make good tv, they want violence and death.

Well, I'm refering to the sister who called the cops to help her mentally ill brother
    You mean the mentally ill guy who had a criminal history, including possessing a firearm as a felon?

Things aren't always as simple as the media or BLM wants you to think. Was this guy carrying a gun? We don't know. We know he was carrying something that he refused to drop.

If you're walking around with a book in your hand and a cop tells you to drop your weapon, do you say, "I don't have a weapon"? No, you drop the book and let things get sorted out afterward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nemyhlol View Post
    Have any data on that?
    Here, I googled that for you.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2016/08/12/...ooting-deaths/
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

"If there's even a 1% Chance that he is our enemy, We have to take it as an absolute certainty"

Feels like that atleast, So many times i've heard about cops getting called to help yet, somehow they end up shooting the guy they were sent to help.

Edit: I'm talking about unarmed people here ofc, those who are lying on the ground or otherwise in no way to be in a situation where deadly force would be needed
    Define "so many."

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Define "so many."
    Watch the news. Then you know how many i'm talking about. I can't recall the date for every one of them. But these past week there has been 2 unarmed people killed by police (That i know of)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Which they feed on drama to get ratings high. The number of people shot by police is extremely low when compared to over 320 million who live here in the US. And most of the time, the ones shot are criminals, armed or presenting a threat to the police or others. The occasional rare cases where police step out of line, they are prosecuted.
    Don't here with that. It might make me see Reason and shatter the image i've build of the US Cops after seeing all these stories

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I don't think so. This is not true of all cops and probably not true of most cops. At the end of the day it comes down to YOU not the cop. If you don't do anything illegal and treat cops with the same respect that any other person holding a gun deserves, then you have nothing to worry about.

If you really think the cop is just trying to "win" you should probably reconsider your actions. Unless you're in some extremely rare scenario where you literally are dealing with racist and/or corrupt cops, you'll probably get exactly what you deserve.

If you disagree, I'd like to know what your specific situation was where the cop acted inappropriately.
    I disagree completely. I've worked closely with cops. I've been an instructor for cops. I've also been a part of a team that's consulted for procedural guidelines for a police department that handles situations at airports. A large portion of cops have a collective attitude where no matter what the situation is, they need to come out on top. If they have to beat someone to death, shoot 5 random bystanders, and ram their car through a crowd of pedestrians to get a guy for a traffic violation or class-D misdemeanor, they'd rather do that then back off. I've had to repeatedly throw cops out of classes I've taught for going too hard and trying to injure people. I've had cops repeatedly try to destroy anything and everything in their sight, and beat and arrest anyone who looked at them in an attempt to arrest the wrong person that they thought was too drunk when I ran security at a few clubs. I've had cops lean on us hard to sign off on guidelines that would basically allow them to do whatever they wanted to whoever they wanted in any situation (they set that as their guidelines without our approval anyway).

The reason why minorities are wary about calling police is because if they can't immediately get an arrest that looks good for them for some crime that's committed, they'll find someone else to arrest or fine, even if they have to manufacture some situation, or flat out fabricate evidence. And the general public willfully gives them enough leeway to do so.

As far as which cops it's true of and which it's not, the distribution is not random or regular. It's organized by department. Some departments do very well. Most try to do whatever it takes to make their arrest/charge rates look good. And some are wholly corrupt. What you need to take from that is that there aren't 'bad apples' in good departments. There's good departments/stations/patrols, and bad departments/stations/patrols.
    Last edited by Polyxo; 2016-09-30 at 11:06 PM.

Watch the news. Then you know how many i'm talking about. I can't recall the date for every one of them. But these past week there has been 2 unarmed people killed by police (That i know of)

- - - Updated - - -

Don't here with that. It might make me see Reason and shatter the image i've build of the US Cops after seeing all these stories
    How many interactions do the police have with the public? Now again define "a lot."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Yep because news channels want to make you feel that way, once again it gets them ratings.

There is 350 million+ people in the US. Now compare the people shot by police over the course of a year to that number and see how small a % it is.
    I think he's actually trying to say everyday sometimes every other day, or even multiple in one day, we (eu/UK) get reports of shootings in America - how many reports do you get of shootings in the eu?
    I know there hasn't been one in the UK for over 5 years now

But it's the price that's paid for a right that fundamentally let's you fight back against a tyrannical govt. Endless shootings and death for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    How many interactions do the police have with the public? Now again define "a lot."
    Why are you trying to make me think about the bigger picture?

You want me to actully realise there is more events happening in the world, than just those i see on the news?

Silliest thing i've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    How many cops are there in the us, one million something? nuff said it's the media brainwashing people into thinking all cops are bad.

I thought people knew better then to trust the media.
    Did you forget what forum you're on?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbearing View Post
    I think he's actually trying to say everyday sometimes every other day, or even multiple in one day, we (eu/UK) get reports of shootings in America - how many reports do you get of shootings in the eu?
    I know there hasn't been one in the UK for over 5 years now

But it's the price that's paid for a right that fundamentally let's you fight back against a tyrannical govt. Endless shootings and death for no reason
    About a thousand people every year isn't endless, and a tiny amount of those are unarmed deaths. The media shouldn't be trusted here. They're doing this shit to get ratings. Ratings means money. They sell a narrative and you guys eat it up as if it's something that happens every day to everyone.

Why aren't you outraged at the thousands that die daily from starvation? That's 100% preventable, yet you people seem to only want to focus on something that happens to a very, VERY tiny minority of people... It makes zero sense. 30 times the amount of people die every year in car accidents than cop shootings. More people die from falling down than from cop shootings. But, hey, lets focus on this one issue that's completely blown out of proportion and demonize those that sacrifice themselves to protect us...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feels like that atleast, So many times i've heard
    I don't live in the US, But i follow news channels and it feels like there are new police shootings all the time.
    And there's your problem right there. You are listening to a narrative that's being pushed for views. You don't hear about all the cops doing good. That doesn't sell. Instead ALL you ever hear is the bad ones. Except those few "look at this cop doing something nice" bits that don't happen often enough.

Watch the news. Then you know how many i'm talking about.
    We already had a threat no to long ago about how many people die to police shootings and it's not that many. And the number of unarmed is very low.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...the-US-in-2015