Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Thanks for the correction.
    In keeping with that same sort of ratio, wouldn't the energy at impact be about the same as a normal 6.5mm then?
    The claim of 300% more energy seems like marketing bullshit
    Remember, its mass times velocity.

Its 300% of the 5.56, but yes it hits like most bullets with the same ballistics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    The M9 is fine but like many military weapons they are worn and beat to fuck, a brand new one is a treat to shoot.
    Never cared for them one bit. Hate the feel, hate the snappy recoil, hate the wimpy round.

- - - Updated - - -

We both know that .280 British was perfect, the USA fucked all of NATO by refusing it.
    The .308 was perfect, and the FN-FAL was the best rifle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post

Its 300% of the 5.56, but yes it hits like most bullets with the same ballistics.
    Hmmm, I guess I read that as it somehow being different that other 6.5mm rounds casing aside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oops lol bAretta
    The current 9mm of choice for the DoD.
    Widely panned as absolute dogshit by anyone who has to use them vs a 1911
    They may keep the cartridge, but they are replacing the M9. Beretta isn't even trying to submit the improved M9 for consideration.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    They may keep the cartridge, but they are replacing the M9. Beretta isn't even trying to submit the improved M9 for consideration.
    The Army already shot the improved M9 down. Hopefully we ditch the 9mm round, but I doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    wow...
    That's awesome.
    I still don't like the 9mm, but it's a start

Deleted
    Oops lol bAretta

- - - Updated - - -

If the platform was designed from the ground up like that then yes, but to try and retrofit an existing weapon system (without changing receivers, etc) is incredibly difficult. Both rounds would have to meet all the same dimensions
    I guess they still use what they have cus it's been such a steady performer and that changing it would take a lot of time and even more money?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Never cared for them one bit. Hate the feel, hate the snappy recoil, hate the wimpy round.

- - - Updated - - -

The .308 was perfect, and the FN-FAL was the best rifle.
    There are a few nations that use the FN-FAL today though, yeah? Pretty sure I've seen Belgian army with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I guess they still use what they have cus it's been such a steady performer and that changing it would take a lot of time and even more money?

- - - Updated - - -

There are a few nations that use the FN-FAL today though, yeah? Pretty sure I've seen Belgian army with it.
    The FN-FAL was, and still is, the most used 7.62x51 military rifle in history, but the Belgians actually now use the FNC, the 5.56 "version" of the FAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    So what's the advantage of this one to say, just bigger calibers? If you want punching power, you could just use higher calibers. If it costs the same and hits for the same, what advantage does this have?
    Less weight.

Oops lol bAretta
    The 1911 is the pistol equivalent of a pick-up truck. Most people who have one, don't need one, don't use it for what is intended for, it is impractical, but it makes you feel like your dick is 11 inches long. (It is not)

If you really want a .45 get a Glock. But it is seriously debatable if you actually need a .45 for a sidearm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The 1911 is the pistol equivalent of a pick-up truck. Most people who have one, don't need one, don't use it for what is intended for, it is impractical, but it makes you feel like your dick is 11 inches long. (It is not)

If you really want a .45 get a Glock. But it is seriously debatable if you actually need a .45 for a sidearm.
    Not sure why dick length had anything to do with a pistol, but alright.
    The conversation is about military weapon systems, and the 1911 is the predecessor to the 9mm switch.

Polymer frame weapons have no place in the hands of average gi joe

.300 Win Mag: 190gr bullet, 3083 ft/s, 4092 ft-lbs (24" barrel)
    5.56x45: 63gr bullet, 3070 ft/s, 1325 ft-lbs. (20" barrel)

3X mass, same speed, 3x energy. If it was also travelling at 3X speed it would have 9X the energy.
    No, if it was also traveling at 3x speed, it would have 27x the energy.

The M9 is fine but like many military weapons they are worn and beat to fuck, a brand new one is a treat to shoot.
    I was going to mention this. The M9 is a great pistol for what it is, but it also suffers way more than the 1911 in the hands of armorers. IE: The M9 is a giant POS when the barrel has been switched out from the original and some turd officer has dropped it out the back of a 7-ton.

It's one of the reasons I hated teaching on the pistol range, fucking sncos would want to re-shoot a hundred times because of the bad M9. We get it, they are all bad, I can put up 3 inch groupings at 25yds too with a new M9 or any other pistol. But this is what we have, this is what you are shooting and your admin ass won't use it anyone except for the negligent discharge you are bound to have trying to eat in the chow hall and not unloading properly.

The best way to improve the M9 would be to exact better care standards and part fit/finish, but also just make them heavier. There is one reason and one reason only the pistol has that weak snappy recoil, all the weight is centered in the palm of your hand. Most pistols feel like they make an attempt to move center of mass somewhere near the middle or end of the pistol, its like Baretta just didn't give a fuck when designing it. They have a .40 version as well, that has horrendous recoil.

Not sure why dick length had anything to do with a pistol, but alright.
    The conversation is about military weapon systems, and the 1911 is the predecessor to the 9mm switch.

Polymer frame weapons have no place in the hands of average gi joe
    The M9 has a metal frame. The problems with it have nothing to do with what the frame is made of. Polymer has been the rule for the past 20 years, you won't see less of it, you'll see more of it. LMG's, shotguns and such are also integrating more and more of it.

Polymer is not the problem.

The problems with the M9 are related to things like shitty maintenance, lack of proper training, (x uses it for a while, fails to properly care for his gun, it goes back to the armory and when y gets it he is handed a gun held together by spit and chewing gum) and the army having sourced cheap shitty magazines for them, and that the gun is often used in roles it wasn't necessarily intended for, and in which scenarios other calibers would do better.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-09-30 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I was going to mention this. The M9 is a great pistol for what it is, but it also suffers way more than the 1911 in the hands of armorers. IE: The M9 is a giant POS when the barrel has been switched out from the original and some turd officer has dropped it out the back of a 7-ton.

It's one of the reasons I hated teaching on the pistol range, fucking sncos would want to re-shoot a hundred times because of the bad M9. We get it, they are all bad, I can put up 3 inch groupings at 25yds too with a new M9 or any other pistol. But this is what we have, this is what you are shooting and your admin ass won't use it anyone except for the negligent discharge you are bound to have trying to eat in the chow hall and not unloading properly.

The best way to improve the M9 would be to exact better care standards and part fit/finish, but also just make them heavier. There is one reason and one reason only the pistol has that weak snappy recoil, all the weight is centered in the palm of your hand. Most pistols feel like they make an attempt to move center of mass somewhere near the middle or end of the pistol, its like Baretta just didn't give a fuck when designing it. They have a .40 version as well, that has horrendous recoil.
    Very well done post.

Hell the M9 is just a status symbol in the army anymore anyway, Never understood why the Supply NCO or the Armorer needs a m9

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The M9 has a metal frame. The problems with it have nothing to do with what the frame is made of. Polymer has been the rule for the past 20 years, you won't see less of it, you'll see more of it. LMG's, shotguns and such are also integrating more and more of it.

Polymer is not the problem.

The problems with the M9 are related to things like shitty maintenance, lack of proper training, (x uses it for a while, fails to properly care for his gun, it goes back to the armory and when y gets it he is handed a gun held together by spit and chewing gum) and the army having sourced cheap shitty magazines for them, and that the gun is often used in roles it wasn't necessarily intended for, and in which scenarios other calibers would do better.
    I once saw a guy using his sidearm to hammer in tent pegs, some people are not too bright.

I once saw a guy using his sidearm to hammer in tent pegs, some people are not too bright.
    Lol, plz tell me it was a officer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Lol, plz tell me it was a officer.
    A Captain in the Royal Artillery.

A Captain in the Royal Artillery.
    lol, nice.

Was it something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FDX6_BSas8

On a serious note while I understand all the science and everything surrounding ballistics. Wasn't the reason we went from 7.62mm to 5.56mm because often times the 7.62mm would kill in 1 shot while the 5.56mm was meant to wound? In terms of guerrilla tactics the idea behind it is to wound a couple members of a group potentially slowing them down or better yet draw out other people so that they could also be taken down.

Made sense to me when I heard it. Is that not really the case anymore?
    Last edited by Revik; 2016-09-30 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    Was it something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FDX6_BSas8

On a serious note while I understand all the science and everything surrounding ballistics. Wasn't the reason we went from 7.62mm to 5.56mm because often times the 7.62mm would kill in 1 shot while the 5.56mm was meant to wound? In terms of guerrilla tactics the idea behind it is to wound a couple members of a group potentially slowing them down or better yet draw out other people so that they could also be taken down.

Made sense to me when I heard it. Is that not really the case anymore?
    Well, when a 5.56 hits you, it doesn't just go through you, it begins to tumble. It goes in your belly and might come out your upper shoulder and leave a hole the size of a golfball.

The idea is that you not only take out that guy, but his two buddies now have to stop shooting and take care of you.